Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1643983 times)

argyle

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3675 on: September 25, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
Ar no Surge has finally arrived. The contents of the LE aren't as grand as I had hoped, but I'm glad I got it. The poster is going to be stunning once I finish framing it.

I just got my 2 LE's of it today.

What part(s) of the LE disappointed you?  So far, I've only listened to about 1/2 of the OST & it's pretty decent.

Have you started the game yet?  Tyler (aka Junpei) PSN-messaged me yesterday saying that:

a).  he'd played a few hours of it,

b).  that he was liking it so far,

c).  that there's already a trophy guide for it and that the plat's not bad at all (w/ no miss-able trophies), and

d).  that there's (at least!) 2 recurring characters from Both AT 1 and Cross Edge (whose identities, I will not spoil here)  ;D

I'm probably not going to have enough time to type up a reply to your last PM (not one that does it enough justice, at any rate:) until tomorrow or Saturday -but- I *DID* want to tell you that I'll be thinking about you tomorrow & wishing you the best of luck (which is, of course, clearly completely unnecessary & over-kill; since you don't need any of my luck since you *are* Da' Man...not to mention that you are, in all sooth, Cool like Dat')  ;)

So, GREG -

I take it that you would *not* count that Mario game as a "native" release since it's identical to the emulated version, right?

Correct.  :)

I fired up Ar Nosurge last night briefly and liked what I played of it.  My main concern is that I read a review by a fan who played the Japanese version, and he said that if you didn't play the Ar Ciel Vita game first - which of course hasn't been localized - then you'd be lost for the majority of the game.  Just wondering how much that's going to affect my experience and if there's any chance the Vita game will get localized.  :-\

BTW, the trophy guide I read said there are 2 missable trophies, and without having read any details it sounds like they're choice-related. 
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/ar-nosurge-ode-to-an-unborn-star/231439-ar-nosurge-road-map-trophy-guide.html?s=5aa41d5ae2209cdb20537b1cf2ab6003
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3676 on: September 25, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »
You're right about those 2 miss-able trophies, Greg.

That was *MY* mistake - my friend told me that there were 2 of them & I incorrectly remembered, thinking that he said that there weren't any  :-[

Seeing as it's a prequel to the Ar tonelico series, have you played or do you have and/or plan on playing the games?

IMO

2 > 1 > 3  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #3677 on: September 25, 2014, 07:29:12 pm »
I really want to play the others, but the only 2 I own right now are the 2 PS3 ones.  The 2 PS2 games are probably at the top of my wanted list for PS2 RPGs.  My local retro store has the 2nd one in box, but the box looks a little worn.  I'm going up there this weekend, if it's complete & everything else looks good I may try to talk him down on it a little.  Don't think he has the first one tho.  :-\
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #3678 on: September 26, 2014, 08:04:54 pm »
I really want to play the others, but the only 2 I own right now are the 2 PS3 ones.  The 2 PS2 games are probably at the top of my wanted list for PS2 RPGs.  My local retro store has the 2nd one in box, but the box looks a little worn.  I'm going up there this weekend, if it's complete & everything else looks good I may try to talk him down on it a little.  Don't think he has the first one tho.  :-\

Have you played the PS3 Ar Tonelico game? If you have, what do you think of it?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #3679 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:51 pm »

Nope, I never played it because I knew it was a direct follow-up to the first two.  :-\  Actually hoping I can find #1 at the retro store tomorrow, I'd much prefer to start at the beginning. 

« Reply #3680 on: September 27, 2014, 12:30:03 pm »
Decided yesterday I was going to collect around 20 or so of my favorite N64 games CIB.

davifus

« Reply #3681 on: September 27, 2014, 12:33:43 pm »
Decided yesterday I was going to collect around 20 or so of my favorite N64 games CIB.

Collect 64
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #3682 on: September 27, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

Collect 64

Ahhh Yay  8)

Lol there is no way I'm getting all the games I have loose CIB, I'd go very broke.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3683 on: September 27, 2014, 01:04:35 pm »

*MY* opinion on AT3 =

*Music* Every bit as amazing as the 1st 2 games; aural bliss! 10/10

*Story* Decent.  Not as good as the 1st 2 game's stories/does a tolerable job of answering & filling in the unanswered & open-ended questions + themes from 1 & 2.  6.5/10

*Characters, dialogue, and interactions* Not as enjoyable as 1's characters but, pretty comparable to 2's.  7.5/10

*Combat* a mistake & a step-down from 1 & 2.  1 & 2's combat were a little different but, they were both clearly turn-based.  In #3, however - they decided to change the fighting to something closer to action-based w/ more real time elements...Not that this is, by default, a bad thing; unfortunately, it was pretty weakly implemented.  Why, I'd be willing to bet that any competent & experienced RPG player could play, beat, and even platinum this "ARPG" one-handed w/o any trouble at all  ;)

*Overall* (for fans of the 1st 2 games) = 7/10

(for a 1st AT game) = 6/10

I'd very much recommend playing this series in order to get as much enjoyment as possible out of it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that one of our newer regulars here (the adorable & love-able Kashell:) wrote a pretty thorough review of AT3 (and, very possibly AT1 & 2 as well) on G*FAQ's.

I always enjoy reading his reviews because - having known the lad for years, I know that we have a lot of gaming tastes, likes, and dislikes in common; if you think and/or know that you share similar gaming tastes w/ me...I'd highly recommend reading some of his reviews there...he's written a few of 'em   8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3684 on: September 27, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »
Ok... I'm really gonna put collecting on the backburner I think for the rest of the year... I've gone kinda crazy these last few months and between trying to put away money for a house/looking for a house and needing sorely to dig into my backlog, I'm gonna focus on playing all the shit I have now. I think I have more than enough to keep me entertained for a while... I am now only gonna pick something up if it's a deal of a lifetime. wish me luck and self-control  :P

« Reply #3685 on: September 27, 2014, 05:45:36 pm »
Hey all, sorry I took an unexpected leave of absence, I spent most of the past 2 months on preparing and settling into college life. Really sorry about shelving the site.

That having been said, life is pretty good right now, and I have an unexpected amount of free time on my hands. So expect me to be around here a lot more often.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3686 on: September 27, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »
Hey all, sorry I took an unexpected leave of absence, I spent most of the past 2 months on preparing and settling into college life. Really sorry about shelving the site.

That having been said, life is pretty good right now, and I have an unexpected amount of free time on my hands. So expect me to be around here a lot more often.

Now how's that for cosmic balance? Right after I say I'm gonna slow down, someone with similar post and collection count comes on to say he's gonna be more active... You can pick up where I left off lol

« Reply #3687 on: September 27, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »

Now how's that for cosmic balance? Right after I say I'm gonna slow down, someone with similar post and collection count comes on to say he's gonna be more active... You can pick up where I left off lol

We are Alpha and Omega.  ;)

abe

« Reply #3688 on: September 27, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »

*MY* opinion on AT3 =

*Music* Every bit as amazing as the 1st 2 games; aural bliss! 10/10

*Story* Decent.  Not as good as the 1st 2 game's stories/does a tolerable job of answering & filling in the unanswered & open-ended questions + themes from 1 & 2.  6.5/10

*Characters, dialogue, and interactions* Not as enjoyable as 1's characters but, pretty comparable to 2's.  7.5/10

*Combat* a mistake & a step-down from 1 & 2.  1 & 2's combat were a little different but, they were both clearly turn-based.  In #3, however - they decided to change the fighting to something closer to action-based w/ more real time elements...Not that this is, by default, a bad thing; unfortunately, it was pretty weakly implemented.  Why, I'd be willing to bet that any competent & experienced RPG player could play, beat, and even platinum this "ARPG" one-handed w/o any trouble at all  ;)

*Overall* (for fans of the 1st 2 games) = 7/10

(for a 1st AT game) = 6/10

I'd very much recommend playing this series in order to get as much enjoyment as possible out of it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that one of our newer regulars here (the adorable & love-able Kashell:) wrote a pretty thorough review of AT3 (and, very possibly AT1 & 2 as well) on G*FAQ's.

I always enjoy reading his reviews because - having known the lad for years, I know that we have a lot of gaming tastes, likes, and dislikes in common; if you think and/or know that you share similar gaming tastes w/ me...I'd highly recommend reading some of his reviews there...he's written a few of 'em   8)

Thanks for the recommendation. :) I'll definitely keep that in mind once I manage to get my hands on them.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3689 on: September 27, 2014, 08:03:46 pm »

Just because you aren't buying stuff, doesn't mean you have to stay off the site.

Besides, how are we gonna enable you if you don't read our post?