Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1582545 times)

tpugmire

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1020 on: August 27, 2013, 02:44:08 pm »
So the prototype is Off Your Rocker. The second one that I thought was a prototype is the PCB for the Magicard, which supposedly is the rarest 2600 game out there. The one that sold on eBay is Color Bar Generator. I'm still trying to gather information, but I'm trying to not get too excited. I've got one prototype, one 9/10, and one 10/10 on atariage's rarity scale. I actually posted pictures in the prototypes section over there to ask some questions, if you want to check them out.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

pacpix

« Reply #1021 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:07 pm »
Nice find on the Magicard! I must of missed your post on AtariAge, i'll go and read it.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

tpugmire

« Reply #1022 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:59 am »
After doing some more research, it looks like I have 3 more 9/10 and a handful of 8/10 games in the lot I bought. This stuff was originally purchased by someone who obviously knew what to look for. Also, there ended up only being one duplicate in the entire lot, so that's pretty cool.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

bobster

« Reply #1023 on: August 30, 2013, 09:34:37 am »
After doing some more research, it looks like I have 3 more 9/10 and a handful of 8/10 games in the lot I bought. This stuff was originally purchased by someone who obviously knew what to look for. Also, there ended up only being one duplicate in the entire lot, so that's pretty cool.

This is a pretty cool find! I'd be interested in seeing pictures at some point if you get a chance. I know very little about atari collecting so it'd be nice to get an idea on what to keep an eye out for.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #1024 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »
whats everyones thoughts on gamestop selling retro?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1025 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:10 pm »

What (generations) do you mean by "retro"?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #1026 on: August 30, 2013, 12:36:30 pm »

Gamestop isnt going to sell retro. They will only do whatever they think will get them the most money at that immediate moment. There is no chance that they are going to be back-stocking previous generations of systems/games. Hell, they are closing out all their Wii/PS2/Xbox stuff as well as all the DS stuff now to get them out of the stores. Right now, they have Xenoblade, Metroid trio, and Fire emblem on the Wii all listed as "retro" cause of all their reprinted copies just so they can try to steal what they consider their corner of the market and every nickel they can scrounge out of their customers. The way they do business makes Mr Krabs and Scrooge McDuck seem like an open checkbook.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1027 on: August 30, 2013, 12:47:45 pm »

Gamestop isnt going to sell retro. They will only do whatever they think will get them the most money at that immediate moment. There is no chance that they are going to be back-stocking previous generations of systems/games. Hell, they are closing out all their Wii/PS2/Xbox stuff as well as all the DS stuff now to get them out of the stores. Right now, they have Xenoblade, Metroid trio, and Fire emblem on the Wii all listed as "retro" cause of all their reprinted copies just so they can try to steal what they consider their corner of the market and every nickel they can scrounge out of their customers. The way they do business makes Mr Krabs and Scrooge McDuck seem like an open checkbook.

It's been talked about by GameStop, seriously. They are contemplating used sales of retro games. I was just talking about it with the manager of my local GameStop after reading an article about it online. He says if they go with the current plan, they'd be way overpriced, though.

soera

« Reply #1028 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:39 pm »
Oh its been on their main page for over a year. Them actually doing it, however, is something that is yet to be seen. And of course they will be overpriced. Thats their business model.

tpugmire

« Reply #1029 on: August 30, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »
I don't see this being something that is worth their time/money on a large scale. I would estimate that 95% of GameStop's customers aren't going to be interested in retro games.  We aren't GameStop's target audience.  The only way I could see this being profitable for them if it was online only.  I can't imagine every store dedicating floor space to stuff that probably won't sell.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1030 on: August 30, 2013, 02:52:27 pm »
I don't see this being something that is worth their time/money on a large scale. I would estimate that 95% of GameStop's customers aren't going to be interested in retro games.  We aren't GameStop's target audience.  The only way I could see this being profitable for them if it was online only.  I can't imagine every store dedicating floor space to stuff that probably won't sell.

2-3 years ago, I'd agree with you. But nowadays, the retro-gaming craze has gotten pretty big. Retro gaming shirts and posters are sold in mainstream stores like Wal-Mart and Target all the time. YouTube reviewers like Classic Game Room and Angry Video Game Nerd are getting huge (heck, AVGN is making a full-blown movie and a video game), you even see references on T.V. like in Big Bang Theory and on Cartoon Network. And the prices of retro-gaming stuff are skyrocketing.

I think at this point, retro-gaming would be profitable for GameStop. If they sit on it too long, though, the fad might just pass away and they may miss their opportunity.

soera

« Reply #1031 on: August 30, 2013, 03:02:16 pm »
While you make sense, I still believe that Gamestop is just not the place to do retro. They have a habit of trashing everything that gives them more room inside their store (boxes, manuals, displays, etc) and in the retro market, thats the stuff thats the most expensive. Another issue is their buying price. Virtually no one is going to walk into Gamestop with their box full of old Nintendo/Sega/Playstation stuff and walk out of there with the probable $10 that GS is going to offer them. If this scenario happens to get past the first two points I just made, GS is going to balk their customers on point there and that is their own selling price. They will literally follow Ebay's highest BIN price and put that on their games + tax. The people that would be going to GS to possibly buy a retro game from GS are the people that played the game when they were younger and want to relive that experience again for a few moments ... but the chances of them wanting to pay the $50+ that will be slapped onto every single solitary title they have is pretty limited. All in all, with the way they run their business currently, this is a mess waiting to happen. They have already lowered the price on their reprinted copies of Xenoblade and Metroid trio cause it wasnt selling like they expected. I really dont see them taking another "risk" in their eyes.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1032 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:34 pm »
I just had some bacon jerky, and holy hell, it is freaking awesome!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1033 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:28 pm »
I just had some bacon jerky, and holy hell, it is freaking awesome!

Why have I not heard of this delicious sounding product before?

« Reply #1034 on: August 30, 2013, 11:50:53 pm »
i dont caare what gamestop does i use estarland ebay and play n trade still a little pricey gamestop is last resort i use them to get the cheap current games that they have a million copies of that id play or add to collection but i hope they dont ruin a good thing i love retro and gamestop likes to get all the money they can people are dumb enough to still go there buy and trade games to them selling them your games are dumb estarland gives you way better trade in value everyone should try them i do believe gamestop would be over priced if they do and to the people that love gamestop i love there midnight releases and some of there cheap games but id not buy everything for my collection from them just to support them