Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1650813 times)

argyle

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3360 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »
I guess I just naturally extend people some common courtesy and I expect the same in return.  In the famous words of Mr. Costanza:

http://youtu.be/usN3rpfFoGA?t=30s
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3361 on: September 03, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »
welp sent a text about it. I could see a few of the games from the pics and one of them was turtles which seems to go for 25-30 alone on ebay and more for a boxed version which it and all the other games are from what I can see... Let's see how this transaction goes!

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3362 on: September 03, 2014, 07:12:48 pm »
the more I look into this posting the more intrigued I get...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

foxhack

« Reply #3363 on: September 03, 2014, 07:23:06 pm »
Sorry in advance, but I need to vent about something that happened today.   :-\

So I've been casually checking Craigslist's video games section for several months now and have seen nothing but overpriced 360's & PS3's.  Until last night.  Someone listed an original Xbox, 4 controllers, DVD playback kit, all cables & 25 games (a good selection too, only 1 sports title) for $40.  I email the guy immediately, an hour after he lists it.  It was 11:00 so I figured he had gone to bed.  This morning before I leave for work he emails me back asking where I can meet, etc.  We send a few emails back & forth whittling down the where's & when's - in the last one I told him I work until 5:30 M-Th and get off at 11:30 on Friday.  I suggest we can meet Friday afternoon if he's free then.  He replies back "OK, if someone else hasn't bought it by then."

I'm thinking "umm, that's not the way things work - I told the guy verbatim "I definitely want it."  Anyway, I write the guy back (on my phone now, because I've just made it to work) that I can meet him this afternoon if that works better for him, as soon as I get off, and I suggest a place & a time that's 15 mins after my quitting time.  After sending that, I see that he had sent me a second email asking if we could meet today after work so I figure we're back on the same page.

Then I hear nothing.  I wait, because I don't know who this guy is or what his daily schedule is like, but when I finally get to my office at about 1:30 and still haven't seen a reply, I send him another email asking if he's still going to be able to meet today.  A few mins later he sends me this reply:  "Sorry man, somebody else beat you to it."

What. The. Hell?  ???

Is this the way people ususally conduct "business" on Craigslist?  Because if so, thanks but no thanks, I'm done.  Seriously, this is a really assy thing to do - no one else "beat me to it" because I told him this morning that I wanted it.  He just decided to be a douche and sell it to someone else.  Who knows, maybe he needed his fix and had to have that $40 ASAP.  REALLY pissed me off tho. 

So yeah, has anyone else's Craigslist experiences been similar to that, or are people in my neck of the world just extra "special"?   >:(

Uh, that's just how things are. It sucks, but I've been doing this for over six years and that's how it is. :\

Hell, eBay sellers can do this now. If you send in an offer but don't pay immediately, someone else can still buy the item.

davifus

« Reply #3364 on: September 03, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »
I hate ebayers that dont respond to offers on their listing and let the timer run out on purpose.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #3365 on: September 03, 2014, 08:45:30 pm »
Well the Odyssey 2 has already been sold... I think someone got a pretty good damn deal on that one.

this was the picture I was mainly going off of

can't see everything great, but that game on top is Conquest of the World, and depending on how complete it is probably would've been worth the $35 alone.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:54:13 pm by Bwigdahl »

karyann

« Reply #3366 on: September 03, 2014, 08:59:25 pm »
I guess I just naturally extend people some common courtesy and I expect the same in return.

I'm the same, it often disappoints me because I have the (apparently weird) expectation that people will have common courtesy... ???

So yeah, has anyone else's Craigslist experiences been similar to that, or are people in my neck of the world just extra "special"?   >:(
I sell quite often on Kijiji (same as Craigslist, but more popular in my area), and buy from time to time too. I've had many more good experiences than bad ones, but the bad ones really stink. This summer, when I was looking for a PS Vita, I saw one complete in box with 4 or 5 games, and it had a screen protector and a protective case, all for 140$. The ad was up since over a month, but I took the chance and e-mailed the guy. Turns out he still had it! ... and that's also the last I heard of him. I answered his e-mail right away asking when I could meet him and that I could go straight to his home if he wanted to, then 2 days later I ping'ed him to ask again, then a week later I said I was still interested... never ever heard back. That puzzled me.  :-\ Why take the time to list something if in the end you won't even bother answering?

As for selling, people are still total asshats haha. Sometimes even more, I guess. Some dude wanted me to take a 1-hour subway ride (2-hours if you include me coming back to my house afterward), which would have cost me $6 too, to sell him a $10 item. And he was mad when I said no.  ::) Tsk.

« Reply #3367 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:56 pm »
@argyle

Craigslist is a mixed bag; you have really great people who respect potential buyers and stick to a deal once it has been made. Then you have people like this that think they can jerk people around. I've especially noticed people like this when they have something that a lot of people want. I've had two really bad CL experiences. One was a guy who made me drive about 45-minutes away, only to no show on me. I tried calling me, and in true little bitch fashion he turned his phone off so he wouldn't have to talk to explain why he wasn't there. Th other time was a guy who tried baiting and switching at the last minute (funny enough with some XBOX games). He had them marked at $5 a piece, but within the 24-hours between when I contacted him and when I went to meet him to buy the games he decided to look on Ebay and change the prices to match. I ended up buying about half the games I was originally going to buy, only because I voiced how shitting it was of him to make a deal with me then decide to alter the deal just because he didn't do his research beforehand, and he ended up reducing the prices on a few things by half. You just never know I guess.

pacpix

« Reply #3368 on: September 03, 2014, 11:53:07 pm »
Well the Odyssey 2 has already been sold... I think someone got a pretty good damn deal on that one.

this was the picture I was mainly going off of

can't see everything great, but that game on top is Conquest of the World, and depending on how complete it is probably would've been worth the $35 alone.
Ahh man that's too bad you missed out, Odyssey2 is a fun system.  You can actually get them for pretty cheap online, but the thing is a beast.  The shipping is usually about as much as the console ha.  I really need to expand on my O2 collection.  Been collecting the games boxed since they are so cheap.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3369 on: September 04, 2014, 03:18:17 am »
Haven't yet had a problem with Craigslist the way anyone else did...  People I've had trades with were courteous and prompt.

Then again, as I try to remember, I was the seller most of the time.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3370 on: September 04, 2014, 12:21:27 pm »
I've only had 2 or 3 CL experiences (all as the buyer) and have been "lucky" enough to have dealt w/ only sellers who've shown up where & when they said they would and sold what they'd advertised @ our agreed upon prices.  "Lucky" is in quotes because, as a few of you have said, we shouldn't have to consider ourselves fortunate to find fairness & honesty in our dealings & transactions - it should be the norm, and to be expected!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #3371 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:40 pm »
I've only had 2 or 3 CL experiences (all as the buyer) and have been "lucky" enough to have dealt w/ only sellers who've shown up where & when they said they would and sold what they'd advertised @ our agreed upon prices.  "Lucky" is in quotes because, as a few of you have said, we shouldn't have to consider ourselves fortunate to find fairness & honesty in our dealings & transactions - it should be the norm, and to be expected!

Personally, I've had a lot more people not show up when I was selling than buying. But yeah, I totally agree: "lucky" shouldn't be the word for the situation  :-\

bobster

« Reply #3372 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:23 pm »
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I always love seeing Foxhack bring down the admin hammer  ;D.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

foxhack

« Reply #3373 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I always love seeing Foxhack bring down the admin hammer  ;D.

You shouldn't. I'm pissed off that someone got scammed and I couldn't stop it from happening. :|

bobster

« Reply #3374 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:58 pm »

You shouldn't. I'm pissed off that someone got scammed. :|
That's understandable. It's a shitty situation and I didn't mean to make light of it. It's just nice to see some sort of justice, even if it is small victory.
Currently Playing: The Witcher