Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1654222 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5040 on: December 10, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
It's still better than no picture at all, right? :-\ Some people on eBay can't even be bothered to put a picture of the actual item for sale.

Which is funny because you're supposed to use a pic of the actual item since a while back.

Nah. Ebay provides you with a stock photo a lot of the time. I usually replace it with my own.

Yeah, for some reason games & movies I believe are the 2 categories they still allow stock images. But I won't buy from anyone who uses them, feels like they're trying to hide something to me.

And here I am, taking images w/ our expensive camera & making sure the lighting, focus, etc. are all just right when I list stuff on ebay. :P

Comics and magazines, too. Pretty much all I sell on eBay, when I do sell, is games, comics, and the occasional magazine.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5041 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »
Is Chrono Cross *that* bad :o

Also, how is it related to and/or how does it tie into Chrono Trigger...if at all?

I haven't played it but, iirc - its OST got A Whole Lotta' Love 8)

I actually didn't even get around to playing Chrono Trigger until a year or 2 ago.  IMO, Chrono Trigger's around an 8/10 and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I did FF VII.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #5042 on: December 10, 2014, 12:14:51 pm »
Wait what, I've never heard anyone call Chrono Cross -bad-...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5043 on: December 10, 2014, 12:17:32 pm »
My buddy showed me the secret mine tunnel in gta 5 in ps4. (had no clue about it) it was pretty cool, be a awesome place to hide out during bountys.

Can & do you guys sit there in your hideout chillin' like a villain, whilst sipping hot coffee? :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #5044 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:43 pm »
Yeah, I was worried about it being one of those "hyped" RPGs but it's turning out to be a great experience. That said, there are some things that I like more from the first Suikoden. The thing that immediately comes to mind is the castle hideout. The first game had a relatively simple yet functional blueprint. In Suikoden II, I keep getting lost. @_@ The same can be said for some of the towns. Bigger isn't always better. There are other minor nitpicks, too. But, all in all, a great experience so far. I love going to RPGs from the "golden era", especially if they're ones I never got around to playing before.

IMO, FF VII was one of *those* games :-\

You mean it was too hyped for you?

No.

Not so much too hyped but, more a case of my disappointment when playing it, for not living up to the epic & incomparable  greatness; as advertised.

That said, I didn't play it until last generation and - had I played it when it was released - I'm sure that I'd have thought more of it & seen it in another/better light.

I didn't hate (or even dislike) the game...just, IMO, it was a pretty meh (7/10) game.

Sprite-based games like Suikoden II age MUCH better than early polygonal games like FF7 - I think that's the main reason so many people want Square to remake that game. That said, I really like FF7 but it's not even my favorite of the PS1 FF's (FF8 takes that prize, tho that's not a very popular opinion). Chrono Cross is one I never finished but I did get quite a ways into it and I've always wanted to go back & play it again. Dunno if that will ever happen tho. Like with FF8, they really played around w/ JRPG conventions with CC. For example, you can run away w/ 100% success from *any* battle, and normal random battles aren't even necessary to beat the game.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5045 on: December 10, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »
Wait what, I've never heard anyone call Chrono Cross -bad-...

I wouldn't know, I haven't played my copy yet. But the price would seem to suggest people don't like it. It's one of the cheapest JRPGs you can get on the PS1.

bobster

« Reply #5046 on: December 10, 2014, 01:10:23 pm »
Yeah Chrono Cross isn't really that great. It does have a really cool story about parallel dimensions and the choices that we make. The OST is indeed fantastic. It's really the perfect music to set the tone of the game.

There are very few ties to Chrono Trigger which is what was/is so disappointing to fans. The DS port of Chrono Trigger had an additional ending that tied them together better.

I enjoy it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I replayed it around this time last year and appreciated its nuance more this time.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

kashell

« Reply #5047 on: December 10, 2014, 02:30:31 pm »
Yeah Chrono Cross isn't really that great. It does have a really cool story about parallel dimensions and the choices that we make. The OST is indeed fantastic. It's really the perfect music to set the tone of the game.

There are very few ties to Chrono Trigger which is what was/is so disappointing to fans. The DS port of Chrono Trigger had an additional ending that tied them together better.

I enjoy it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I replayed it around this time last year and appreciated its nuance more this time.

Basically this. Chrono Cross wasn't bad but it was nowhere near capturing the excellence of Chrono Trigger. It was a gorgeous game, had an amazing sound track, and some of the characters were entertaining. But, with over 40 people to recruit that offered nothing to the narrative, very little references to the first game and some really screwy game play features, it was not the experience fans were looking for.

I finished it, got the best ending and never touched it again.

desocietas

« Reply #5048 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:50 pm »
I love Chrono Cross, but I think that's because I didn't know anything about Chrono Trigger when I played the game.  I don't really consider the two to be related even - they're so different.

But I loved the game and put in sooooo many hours just into "cooking."  I had a lot of time back then, haha.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #5049 on: December 10, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »
I don't really consider the two to be related even - they're so different.

I agree. I dont consider them to be related either. I really enjoyed both games though I actually liked Cross more. I also totally preferred FF VII to Suikoden I. I pre-ordered FFVII when it was announced and played it from release day 1 to the end. If you ignore all the anti fanbois and just play the game, its an amazing piece of work from start to finish.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5050 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42:48 pm »
I'm playing a few games to get ready for next week's video and I discovered something kind of awesome.  Gyromite isn't a bad game.  It's pretty fun if you don't exactly play like it was intended.  I'll show you next Tuesday.... 

And that, kids, is how you do a teaser.   :D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5051 on: December 10, 2014, 08:42:33 pm »
I'm playing a few games to get ready for next week's video and I discovered something kind of awesome.  Gyromite isn't a bad game.  It's pretty fun if you don't exactly play like it was intended.  I'll show you next Tuesday.... 

And that, kids, is how you do a teaser.   :D

I'm not so sure about that. As soon as I saw the word "Gyromite", I lost a lot of interest.  :P

desocietas

« Reply #5052 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
Turf, this article seemed to remind me of you and your boy...

http://kotaku.com/father-makes-son-play-through-video-game-history-chron-1669616589
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5053 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:07 pm »
It's cool and all that the kid had all these old games introduced to him, but why did he withhold the new stuff?  Kids will play what is fun.  It's not until they are teenagers that graphics start to matter.  When a kid is 5, he still has plenty of imagination to fill in for graphics.  It's when their friends tell them about processing power and fps that that flashy starts to matter. 

I fully believe that The Boy will appreciate old games without me keeping anything from him.

kashell

« Reply #5054 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:33 am »
Chrono Cross has more ties with Chrono Trigger than meets the eye. The problem was that the developers had a tendency to reference events in Radical Dreamers a bit too much. That's another one of those games that I wish was released on our side.