Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1655002 times)

argyle

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5205 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:28 am »
I finally got to play the new Guilty Gear yesterday. I finished the standard arcade mode with Venom, finished the entire tutorial and started a few challenges with Venom. I wish I could give some glowing praise to the newest edition of my favorite fighting franchise, but I'm not super impressed; just somewhat impressed.

*The game is gorgeous, as expected. The new animations for all of the returning characters make you feel like you're playing a modern anime. For instance, when Venom performs Red Hail, he'll do this cool pose in the air and then begin the attack. It doesn't slow down the game at all and adds that GG flair the series is known for.

*English voice acting has been surprising so far. I might switch it to Japanese, but we'll see. Venom's voice is fitting, so yay for that.

*The tutorial was wonderful in helping explain all of the new and old features of the series. I look forward to diving into the challenges some more to utilize them more.

*Music has taken a back seat, which is unfortunate.

*I haven't been able to try the online play yet, but I have no reason to doubt that it'll run at a smooth(ish) rate.

*Venom's new moves are throwing me off. I am so used to doing a series of button inputs and now I learn that they took away his Lightning Balls XD

*On the other hand, he has two new moves that seem to open up possibilities

So, there are things about the game that are making me go, "YAY!" but then there parts of the game that are making me go, "Hmm..." I'll be playing it a crap-ton over the weekend. Suikoden II will be occupying my PS3's slot until then. Speaking of, how dare a certain someone pull a crossbow on me! Such disrespect!

How many modes are there? How many characters? Wondering how much content there is to occupy me single-player wise. 

Also, when you do go online I read somewhere that if you have any lag issues you should switch the voice acting to Japanese. No idea why, but that seems to have resolved some issues for some ppl.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #5206 on: December 18, 2014, 09:46:47 am »
How many modes are there? How many characters? Wondering how much content there is to occupy me single-player wise. 

Also, when you do go online I read somewhere that if you have any lag issues you should switch the voice acting to Japanese. No idea why, but that seems to have resolved some issues for some ppl.

The modes (off the top of my head) are: Arcade, M.O.M., Story (which is just a VN), Tutorial, Training, Challenge, and Mission. I might be forgetting some.

The character roster has: Venom, Sol, Ky, I-No, Slayer, Millia, Zato, Potemkin, Chipp, Valentine, Bedman, Faust, Axl Low, and...I think there are a few more to unlock. I'm still trying to figure out how to get Elphett. It says that she comes free to those who pre-order it, but I haven't figured out how to get her.

So, there is some stuff to do playing by yourself. I'll be sure to switch the VA-ing to Japanese when I go online in order to prevent lag. Thanks for the tip! ^^

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5207 on: December 18, 2014, 11:16:50 am »
Is GG still a Majesco game?

If so, afaik...Majescos' the *only* game publisher, manufacturer, developer, etc in N.J.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #5208 on: December 18, 2014, 11:27:42 am »
Is GG still a Majesco game?

If so, afaik...Majescos' the *only* game publisher, manufacturer, developer, etc in N.J.

Not for long. :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-17-majesco-and-midnight-city-are-in-dire-straits

kashell

« Reply #5209 on: December 18, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
IIRC, Majesco only published Guilty Gear: Judgment and Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5210 on: December 18, 2014, 11:37:59 am »
Looks like ill ask him for Dragon Age..... :D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

« Reply #5211 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:51 pm »

Sounds like a solid choice - I really want to try that game out, but I have 1 and 2 I never played, ha.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5212 on: December 18, 2014, 12:59:59 pm »
At risk of being flamed: BioShock is overrated.

I've gotten to the part where I'm learning about the twisted plastic-surgeon, and I'm bored. I'm struggling to want to continue any further. It does have some cool scenery, and it does have a cool premise. But the gameplay is just so empty and boring, IMO.

Should I stick with it? Is there better to come? Or should I already be loving it by this point, if I'm gonna like it?

desocietas

« Reply #5213 on: December 18, 2014, 01:06:19 pm »

I've gotten to the part where I'm learning about the twisted plastic-surgeon, and I'm bored. I'm struggling to want to continue any further. It does have some cool scenery, and it does have a cool premise. But the gameplay is just so empty and boring, IMO.

Should I stick with it? Is there better to come? Or should I already be loving it by this point, if I'm gonna like it?

I personally really enjoyed the story, and the ending is good if it hasn't already been spoiled for you.  But that's my opinion :) I can't do first-person games, so I've just watched other people play it.  I love the style and scenery so much.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5214 on: December 18, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »
No worries ;D

We don't flame people here for having or stating their opinions - doesn't & shouldn't matter if we share the same opinion, or not ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:02:44 pm by disgaeniac »

kashell

« Reply #5215 on: December 18, 2014, 02:11:27 pm »

I personally really enjoyed the story, and the ending is good if it hasn't already been spoiled for you.  But that's my opinion :) I can't do first-person games, so I've just watched other people play it.  I love the style and scenery so much.

I can't do FP games, either. They make me dizzy. I'm not even saying that to be silly; the way the camera moves makes me feel like the room is spinning and I have to look away from the screen.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5216 on: December 18, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »
...and here I'd been thinking that you're naturally dizzy, kashy :P

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5217 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:48 pm »

Sounds like a solid choice - I really want to try that game out, but I have 1 and 2 I never played, ha.

Hell I see you are in California, I might be willing to let you come over and play some if I am not being to selfish and he gets it for me :p
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #5218 on: December 18, 2014, 02:31:35 pm »
...and here I'd been thinking that you're naturally dizzy, kashy :P

I wish I was this pretty:

bobster

« Reply #5219 on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
I see what you did there.
Currently Playing: The Witcher