Author Topic: What do you think? Are free to play games part of your collection?  (Read 3992 times)

topspot123

There are so many free to play games currently and more coming all of the time.  Do you consider these as a part of your collection?  Do they only count if you are currently or have ever been an active player of that game?

I don't game much on PC, but I 'purchased' Team Fortress 2 on Steam when it went free to play.  I haven't downloaded it or played it, but I still consider it mine.

By that logic, any freemium game is potentially mine.  Does my collection get credit for League of Legends?

What are your thoughts?  Am I seriously over thinking this?  Regular packaged games are so much easier.

EDIT:  After posting this I sort of realized that this post is also about satisfying the hoarder portion of my brain.  I want to take 'ownership' of these things so they are part of my 'collection'.  Sorry, I don't mean to go all pop psychology on you.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:30:46 pm by topspot123 »

zing

Re: What do you think? Are free to play games part of your collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:25:40 pm »
I wouldn't count any free game. If anyone can own it, then why bother? I wouldn't even count online-only games that I did purchase at retail.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:10 am »
It depends on the game for me - I would list say... Everquest/Aion, etc because they are "proper" MMOs that just happen to have a free to play option. I'd also list iOS games like Hyakku Oni Taisen Emaki (the sequel to the ace Samurai Bloodshow) even though it's a freemium title because I feel it's got the quality of a "real" game and I've invested a lot of time in it.

I wouldn't however consider those branded free games (the ones given away by drink/food companies and similar) as part of a collection as I personally feel they're nothing more than thinly-veiled marketing material even if in the strictest sense they are a playable game.

So I suppose at the end of the day it's down to intent for me - was it created to be a game in it's own right that just happens to be free to play (or at least free to buy) or was it created as an advert for another product or to drive traffic to a particular site?

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:39 am »
I count games that I have paid for even if they have become free to play.

If a game has been released as free to play I would only count it if I have downloaded it and invested time into it. I played the LOTR MMO for about an hour and got bored so I never added it in. If on the other hand I put in 20 hours I would probably consider it to be part of my collection, especially if I had spent real money on in game items.

upondoom

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:27:29 am »
I don't count digital games at all.

I play da video games and listen to da metalz.

Last.fm

scott

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:47 am »
It's possible that I have a couple free to play games listed in my collection. Mostly because when we started, Matt converted my collection from our old site's "now playing" list. I've never bothered to go back and clean it up though.

I do list my digital games though. So anything from Steam, XBLA, PSN, Nintendo's eShop all get listed.  I do have some free apps for my 3DS listed, mainly so I can quick glance at the list.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »
Same here.

donovon

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 08:01:11 pm »
Same here.

What if it is only offered as digital?

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:06:28 pm »
Same here.

What if it is only offered as digital?

I haven't actually added my digital only games yet either.  In a future update to the site we are expecting to allow user defined lists.  When I can have a separate list for physical and digital games, I'll be adding my Steam, Onlive, PSN, XBLA, etc. games to my collection.  That's why I'm contemplating on these free to play games. 

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »
Same here.
Boooooooooooo. :P

I personally do IF I actively play them.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:16:57 pm »

I personally do IF I actively play them.

That's how I am.  I mean, I got a few games in bundles where I just wanted one of them and I haven't added them let alone install them.

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 01:56:36 pm »
... why the heck was this thread locked? *unlocks*

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:48 pm »
... why the heck was this thread locked? *unlocks*

Huh?!

Never even noticed that it *was* locked :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 02:50:25 pm »
Games are games ... cant see why they would not be part of your collection just cause they are free to play. The games in my game room are all free to play the moment I plug them into their respective console.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »
I'd vote:

"Personal Preference" -

If you want them in there...awesome; if not, that's awesome too  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"