Author Topic: This game DOESN'T SUCK?!  (Read 5897 times)

foxhack

This game DOESN'T SUCK?!
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »
Darko gave us a thread about games that really suck, so why not have the opposite? Games you bought that you thought would be trash but ended up being enjoyable.

I'll open this up with this:

V.I.P.

I bought it thinking I'd get a trainwreck of a game... and I was wrong! What I got was a strange hybrid of Simon / Parappa The Rapper (push the button combination on the screen to beat up the bad guys), target shooting (shoot or snipe the bad guys) and puzzle games. The story sequences are scary, but they're decent for a game that's eleven years old. The only problem is that it's apparently very short, I played it for an hour and a half last night and I think I'm already halfway through the game.

Anyone care to share their own games that don't suck?

soera

Re: This game DOESN'T SUCK?!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:50 pm »
How could anything with Pam Anderson's thigh on it suck anyhow? :)

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:07:23 pm »
Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday: When I bought this one I was not expecting much, but it actually turned out to be a really cool platformer with interesting levels.
Baseball Simulator 1.000: When I saw this game I just assumed it would be an old boring sports game.  Turned out to be a lot of fun and reminds me a lot of a game I used to own called Bad News Baseball.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

ko1ru

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:40:01 am »
Viking: Battle for Asgard (360) - I picked this up used at GameStop for about $6.99.  There were multiple copies on the shelf, and at first glance I thought it was gonna be a stinker.  I was so wrong!  It's a great action, hack 'n slash game, and took me completely by surprise.  The in-game world is beautiful and the battles are epic.  I found the final boss fight to be incredibly difficult, though, and have yet to finish it for that reason.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:45 am »
All I saw from Soera's post was:

"suck...Pam Anderson's thigh" :P

Is she still considered Canadian if she's more than 50% silicone made in the US?! :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:06 pm »
Viking: Battle for Asgard (360) - I picked this up used at GameStop for about $6.99.  There were multiple copies on the shelf, and at first glance I thought it was gonna be a stinker.  I was so wrong!  It's a great action, hack 'n slash game, and took me completely by surprise.  The in-game world is beautiful and the battles are epic.  I found the final boss fight to be incredibly difficult, though, and have yet to finish it for that reason.
The game was recently released for PCs, too, but since it was made by the developers of the Total War series, I thought it'd be a boring strategy game.

Also, I take back my comments on VIP. Why? I beat the game last night... AFTER AN HOUR AND A HALF OF GAMETIME.

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »
If I could last 90 minutes with Pamela, Id personally be pretty proud! :)

scott

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:34:25 pm »
I stand by my statement that Bionic Commando for 360/PS3 is NOT a bad game. I played it all day long when I first got it and enjoyed it quite a bit actually.  Sure some of the story is wtf, and they totally make Spencer look retarded, but gameplay wise I found it very entertaining.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:36:54 pm »
I stand by my statement that Bionic Commando for 360/PS3 is NOT a bad game. I played it all day long when I first got it and enjoyed it quite a bit actually.  Sure some of the story is wtf, and they totally make Spencer look retarded, but gameplay wise I found it very entertaining.
I've got that game for PC but my rig can't run it.

However, I like the developers, and I know they made good games while they still existed, so I'm sure it won't be bad.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:38 pm »
The Boy is a big fan of The Incredibles. So, my wife finds the GameCube game at a thrift store and buys it.  It's a little hard for my son, since he's only 3; but I had a lot of fun with it.  It's not bad at all.  He likes watching me play it, and I'm happy to let him watch.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »
Cosmic Carnage. That game is one of my favorite games of all time. It may be cheesy, and have some not-so good controls, but if you can dismiss that, then its a great game with amazing visuals and a great soundtrack. I recommend it.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »

Got like, sixes and sevens by reviewers, but was 4-5 bucks on Gohastings and Amazon.  I figured it would be terrible, but I found myself having a lot of fun with it.  The weapons are neat, and it is about the right length.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »

That's what makes me hate it so much. It is fun for the first few areas. Then it suddenly becomes nearly unplayable in it's difficulty. I mean radiation everywhere to the point that you can like never land, you are just constantly swinging while trying to battle enemies and those damn robot/mech things. Those annoying as hell flying orb things drove me insane, too.

The game just draws you in and then smacks the crap out of you.

ko1ru

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:39 am »
The game was recently released for PCs, too, but since it was made by the developers of the Total War series, I thought it'd be a boring strategy game.

Not in the slightest.  You should give it a shot!  Especially since it's now been released for PC (didn't know that BTW).  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:58:15 am by ko1ru »

anton

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »
I'll open this up with this:

V.I.P.
I thought you were trolling. But you're right, if you didn't tell us, i would think this game sucks.

Anyway,

http://www.gameoutlet.se/products/products_img/PS200409/a.jpg
Black for PS2/XBOX, thought it'd be just another mindless FPS, but i really enjoyed it.
No multiplayer tho, only single player campaign, but it's really good.

http://cdn3.spong.com/pack/w/e/wet307563l/_-Wet-PS3-_.jpg
Wet for PS3, got a lot of bad review, but it has a unique retro movie style, bit linear, for the gunfight etc.

http://cdn0.spong.com/pack/s/t/strangleho260890l/_-John-Woo-Presents-Stranglehold-PS3-_.jpg
Stranglehold, not sure everyone will like this one but if you like john woo's movies, it's enjoyable.