Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280161 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1140 on: May 11, 2017, 10:15:28 am »

So after watching that, I decided to give Daredevil a 2nd chance after originally not enjoying the first episode. This time I got 4 episodes in, and I was still bored to tears by it. Can't get into that one.

Really?  I loved Daredevil.  Now, Luke Cage was a snooze-fest.  I really wanted to like it after Daredevil and Jessica Jones.  I haven't gotten started on Iron Fist yet. 

I got hung up watching all the way through Game of Thrones again.  Damn I love this show.

soera

« Reply #1141 on: May 12, 2017, 03:11:17 am »
I liked all 3. Luke Cage took 2-3 episodes to get into it. I still need to watch Iron fist myself.

« Reply #1142 on: May 21, 2017, 01:51:50 am »

This movie wasn't necessarily bad, but it was definitely a disappointment overall. It lacked the originality and interest of Promethius, but didn't have a lot of the excitement and thrills of the Aliens movies either. It just sort of fell into this meh territory let down by vague explanations of very important information in how the Xenomorphs came to be, a plot twist you can see coming from a mile away, and an unfitting fate for the character Shaw from Promethius. Overall the movie was okay and I'd probably give it a 6/10, but it really disappointed in too many areas to have it rank among the best in the franchise.

Flashback2012

« Reply #1143 on: May 21, 2017, 06:43:51 am »
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 a couple of weeks back.  :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1144 on: May 23, 2017, 01:52:49 pm »

I was feeling like a good, mindless 80s hack-n-slash film, and I had exhausted my normal sources of stuff I hadn't seen from that era. So I decided to pop in a Jason movie, instead.

I decided on Part V: A New Beginning, since I never really gave that one much attention before. I never liked that the killer was revealed as a copycat and not actually Jason. So I popped this baby in, knowing full well it's not Jason, and taking the movie for what it is.

Even then, it's got to be the worst one in the series. It's not enough just that Jason isn't the killer. But there's also the death scenes. Now traditionally, Jason movies always have some very inventive, and gory slayings. But in this one, it was your run of the mill, psycho killer stabbings. And even then, it was like the camera kept panning away and all you'd see is blood spray. SOOO disappointing for a Jason flick. But hey, at least we did get the obligatory tit shots.

What was your thoughts on this entry in the series?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:00:16 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1145 on: May 23, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »

Back-to-back Jason reviews, since I just happened to watch 2 Jason movies. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.

I've seen this one before. But I think the first time I had a bit of Jason burn-out when I watched it, after trying to marathon them.

This time around, I enjoyed it a lot more. Yeah, the characterization is weak in this one. But it's still has some great kill-scenes. And I just love the "80s-ness" of it. The kids in this one are just so steeped in 80s stereotypes that it makes it that much more enjoyable.

The one thing that did bother me a little: Why was Jason so damn wet through the entire thing? Yeah, I get it, he snuck aboard through the water. But it seemed like other characters dried out through the chases, while jason just stayed a soaking mess. MINOR complaint, though, just something that stuck-out to me.

I know it's not the most well-received entry in the series, but to each his own I guess.

Your thoughts on it?

theravenfreak

« Reply #1146 on: May 23, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
The last anime I watched was Pokemon, episode 14 of Season 1. It's the episode when the gang first meets Bill. I don't care for the newer seasons of the Pokemon anime all too much, but I mainly just play the Pokemon games.

doafan

« Reply #1147 on: May 24, 2017, 02:27:45 pm »
This past week enjoyed a couple of movies, some of them with my daughter, others with my wife and of course the event Backlash from the WWE that I saw by myself some hours later it started, have to admit that really liked Sandy Wexler and Max 2 White House Hero the rest of the films weren't that bad but they were not the big deal, honestly I was expecting more from Xander Cage but I guess that hating the Fast and Furious franchise has something with my dislike for this one, my wife didn't saw with me The Beauty and the Beast cause she knows that I love Emma  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #1148 on: June 02, 2017, 02:45:34 am »

So I initially wasn't planning to see Wonder Woman, because why would I? Three "meh" DC movies in a row is real disappointing and I'm not even a big Wonder Woman fan in particular and didn't care for Gal Gadot taking the role.  Then it started coming out that the movie is good and figured I'd give them one last try and overall I liked the movie.  It's nothing amazing, but I enjoyed my time, which is more than I can say for the past three movies.  There's no point in the story that I was annoyed by some bad decision, or felt like the character wasn't being handled well, though my knowledge of Wonder Woman is fairly minimal.  On the DC side of things, if it's not like Batman or Superman, I don't really know the characters a ton, compared to Marvel where I do generally know more.  Still not sure how much I love all the slow motion action, but there were still some good action scenes, particularly one on a battlefield that is the highlight of the film.  The villains were abit weakish, and I feel like there are some weird edit points and a slightly sloppyish ending, maybe that's just me, but a few moments felt off, but otherwise it's a pretty solid film.

This movie gives me a glimmer of hope for Justice League now.  Maybe DC/WB are pulling their heads out of their asses and realizing they need to put some more honest work into these films if they want to even pretend they can hang with Marvel.  They are still rushing things, but maybe once they get Justice League done, they can get things sorted out better.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:11:06 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1149 on: June 02, 2017, 12:42:46 pm »
^ Suicide Squad kicked was leagues better than Avengers 2 last year, too.

« Reply #1150 on: June 02, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
^ Suicide Squad kicked was leagues better than Avengers 2 last year, too.

What? No it wasn't, Suicide Squad was weak lol A massively wasted opportunity.  I didn't particularly love Avengers 2, it was fine, nothing amazing, but enjoyable enough,  Suicide Squad failed to be a good movie, especially when you realize how dumb the plot truly is.  It fundamentally didn't understand what the Suicide Squad was about.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:02:59 pm by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1151 on: June 02, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »
Totally was better. It had a better style, it was gritty and had better action, it had great special effects, it had a helluva atmosphere (that felt like Gotham, for sure) and it had interesting characters. The only thing I really didn't like about it was "thug" Joker. He looked ridiculous.

Avengers 2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The story was blah, the characters really didn't move forward, the villain's motivation was weak, and their Quicksilver just sucked compared to the X-Men version. It was just okay, and completely forgettable. Captain America: Civil War was a better Avengers movie.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:06:58 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #1152 on: June 02, 2017, 03:47:32 pm »
Totally was better. It had a better style, it was gritty and had better action, it had great special effects, it had a helluva atmosphere (that felt like Gotham, for sure) and it had interesting characters. The only thing I really didn't like about it was "thug" Joker. He looked ridiculous.

Avengers 2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The story was blah, the characters were really didn't move forward, the villain's motivation was weak, and their Quicksilver just sucked compared to the X-Men version. It was just okay, and completely forgettable. Captain America: Civil War was a better Avengers movie.

Not wrong about Civil War being better, but at least Age of Ultron as a movie makes sense, even if it wasn't anything standout.  Suicide Squad had a good style, but it fell apart in just about every other area.  I actually went back to see what I had on the movie since I posted here, and I was middling with it as I went in with super low expectations and yeah the style was good and the characters were good (except for Joker), but that was all I talked about.  I still don't hate it as much as others, but it wasn't a very good movie and as time has gone on, I hate it more due to just how much they squandered the concept.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1153 on: June 02, 2017, 04:36:33 pm »
What didn't make sense? It's a pretty simple story. Amanda Waller gives super-criminals a pardon if they go on government-planned missions no one else wants to take. She keeps them in-line by placing a bomb in their heads. She sends that team of baddies to stop a highly-powered being with the potential to take over the planet. Meanwhile, Joker is trying to bust Harley Quinn out of the team and back to his side.

« Reply #1154 on: June 02, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »
What didn't make sense? It's a pretty simple story. Amanda Waller gives super-criminals a pardon if they go on government-planned missions no one else wants to take. She keeps them in-line by placing a bomb in their heads. She sends that team of baddies to stop a highly-powered being with the potential to take over the planet. Meanwhile, Joker is trying to bust Harley Quinn out of the team and back to his side.

That's more the plot of the comic, not the movie.  The point of the movie is that due to Superman, Waller is essentially putting together a group of expendables that can handle situations like that, despite almost all of them being completely incapable of even having a chance against Superman, let alone Batman.  This part is in the intro of the movie.  The movie is then about stopping the one person they couldn't ever really control and trying to cover up her mistake in creating the group in the first place with Enchantress in it.  It's a terribly circular plot that just squanders their potential.

The movie shouldn't have been about Suicide Squad going to stop a doomsday scenario, it should've been more like Ocean's Eleven, but the leads instead are a bunch of psychotics and evil people.  The animated movie they did was way better.