Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280709 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1200 on: August 01, 2017, 03:54:48 pm »

I don't know why everyone dogged on this so much.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Granted I haven't finished it yet, just watched episode 8.

But I heard everyone saying this is the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series. So far, for me, it's been the best. The only other one I haven't watched yet is Luke Cage. And that's because Luke Cage first appears in Jessica Jones.

There's a lot of story to sink your teeth into in this one. And I love the P.I. aspect of it. Makes you think a little more than your average punching and kicking superhero fare.

I thought Jessica Jones was the second best of the Marvel shows, with Daredevil at the top.  I thought Luke Cage was lesser than that and Iron Fist is the worst one.

If Iron Fist just had a good ending or big final battle, it would have been great. It had all this great backstory and build-up, and then no climax at the end.

« Reply #1201 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »
I think the setup is fine, but the action wasn't good, which is the worst thing that can happen in basically a kung fu show.  Both seasons of Daredevil had great action and what are now iconic TV action scenes, but Iron Fist, a thing designed entirely around a king who can punch really hard, it was boring.  It felt like it was on the level of like Arrow and the CW shows, where you are not getting very good action out of them.

« Reply #1202 on: August 02, 2017, 03:42:41 am »

Took long enough, but finally the home release of Shin Godzilla is out.  Been really anxious to watch it again, to see if I liked it as much as I originally thought and I still do.  It's the most realistic feeling take they've done for Godzilla and the scariest Godzilla has ever been.  As I said last year, I know there are people that might not like this one, as they whole point of the movie is to show the bureaucratic process and the issues of it in Japan, meant to have a connection to the Fukushima disaster in 2011.  Because of that, it's quite slow compared to previous movies.  There's no real human drama.  There are leads and such, but they aren't characters you get attached to, they don't have arcs or serious revelations or do anything beyond what their job is.  Even with that, I still get engrossed in the movie, trying to follow it's very quick editing and pace at times (Which sounds counter to what I said about the movie being kinda slow, but it's both.  It's a slow feeling movie with some quick editing to progress through moments).  Also, all the action with and against Godzilla is great.  His fire breath attack in this is just insane.  I'm unsure of I like this one or Godzilla 2014's fire breath more.

I'm curious to see where it might go from here for a sequel as the ending and just Godzilla's origin and abilities allow for some crazy possibilities.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1203 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:30 am »

I don't know why everyone dogged on this so much.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Granted I haven't finished it yet, just watched episode 8.

But I heard everyone saying this is the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series. So far, for me, it's been the best. The only other one I haven't watched yet is Luke Cage. And that's because Luke Cage first appears in Jessica Jones.

There's a lot of story to sink your teeth into in this one. And I love the P.I. aspect of it. Makes you think a little more than your average punching and kicking superhero fare.

I thought Jessica Jones was the second best of the Marvel shows, with Daredevil at the top.  I thought Luke Cage was lesser than that and Iron Fist is the worst one.

That isn't your opinion.  The bold is an absolute fact

I loved Jessica Jones. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1204 on: August 02, 2017, 10:35:03 am »
I still thought Iron Fist was more interesting than Daredevil. Other than the Punisher scenes, which were freaking awesome, it bored me to tears.

« Reply #1205 on: August 02, 2017, 03:33:26 pm »
IMO

Luke Cage > Jessica Jones > DareDevil > Iron Fist.

Iron Fist had potential, but it was mostly squandered.  What little I've seen of the chemistry between the Luke Cage and Iron Fist actors, I'm really hoping they do a show with just the 2 of them instead of separate, that would be REALLY good.

« Reply #1206 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:08 pm »
IMO

Iron Fist had potential, but it was mostly squandered.  What little I've seen of the chemistry between the Luke Cage and Iron Fist actors, I'm really hoping they do a show with just the 2 of them instead of separate, that would be REALLY good.

The Defenders is coming up this year or next, which is all 4 shows coming together.

« Reply #1207 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:47 am »
IMO

The Defenders is coming up this year or next, which is all 4 shows coming together.
Defenders is THIS MONTH.

Defenders will for sure be a good test for their on screen chemistry, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they handle their relationship.

I'm aware, I'm strictly speaking about a show with just Luke Cage and Iron Fist.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:48:33 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #1208 on: August 03, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

Took long enough, but finally the home release of Shin Godzilla is out.  Been really anxious to watch it again, to see if I liked it as much as I originally thought and I still do.  It's the most realistic feeling take they've done for Godzilla and the scariest Godzilla has ever been.  As I said last year, I know there are people that might not like this one, as they whole point of the movie is to show the bureaucratic process and the issues of it in Japan, meant to have a connection to the Fukushima disaster in 2011.  Because of that, it's quite slow compared to previous movies.  There's no real human drama.  There are leads and such, but they aren't characters you get attached to, they don't have arcs or serious revelations or do anything beyond what their job is.  Even with that, I still get engrossed in the movie, trying to follow it's very quick editing and pace at times (Which sounds counter to what I said about the movie being kinda slow, but it's both.  It's a slow feeling movie with some quick editing to progress through moments).  Also, all the action with and against Godzilla is great.  His fire breath attack in this is just insane.  I'm unsure of I like this one or Godzilla 2014's fire breath more.

I'm curious to see where it might go from here for a sequel as the ending and just Godzilla's origin and abilities allow for some crazy possibilities.

I loved this movie! Neon Genesis is one of my favorite anime of all time and Shin Godzilla pretty much felt like Godzilla inside an episode of Neon Genesis, which makes sense since some of the key people who worked on that anime made this movie. As you said, this is probably the most insane Godzilla every conceived and I really liked how they touched on actual social/political issues in Japan, much like the first Godzilla movie, rather than throw some stupid drama between two characters falling in love or some other BS like that. Certain scenes in this movie literally give me chills because of how awesome they are. I wont spoil any of them for anyone who has not seen this movie, but I'm pretty sure you can guess what they are lol

« Reply #1209 on: August 04, 2017, 01:27:41 am »

I saw Rogue One opening day in the theater and while I enjoyed it, I still ranked it towards the bottom in terms of my favorite Star Wars movies. I'm not sure what was lost on me or why I felt somewhat underwhelmed because I just rewatched it on Netflix and I am not exaggerating when I saw I probably enjoyed it ten times more than I did the first time around. The movie got me emotional on several occasions, and without a doubt it is probably the darkest Star Wars movie. The think what made the biggest difference was that I seemed to like the characters more this time around, where as before many of them were not developed enough for me to care that much. I feel like I need to re-evaluate my Star Wars list now. I don't see this becoming top 5, but it very well might scratch the surface.

« Reply #1210 on: August 04, 2017, 09:40:19 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:41:42 pm by jce3000gt »

doafan

« Reply #1211 on: August 06, 2017, 09:57:52 am »
Yesterday went to the movies because my little girl wanted to watch The Emoji Movie also saw with her a couple of days ago Lego Scooby-Doo! Blowout Beach Bash, my wife made a couple of request too so I saw with she Gifted, Going in Style and Como ser un Latin Lover which all of the three films were pretty damn good also this past July I saw this year WWE Battleground event  :)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1212 on: August 06, 2017, 10:53:36 am »

Watched this yesterday, loved it!

You have to suspend your belief a little bit. But if you can manage to do that, it's very fun action-flick.

In the future, schools have become warzones. Police have refused to enter areas around the school, and the gangs have taken over. Stacy Keach stars as an industrialist looking to use his new life-like cyborgs to act as both teacher and enforcer. But things go wrong, as they often do. And soon the teachers start becoming efficient killing machines. A great bonus is Malcolm McDowell as the principal!

Lots of action, explosions, and cheap VHS thrills in this one!

« Reply #1213 on: August 09, 2017, 05:25:06 am »

So Colossal turned out to be a very different movie than what the trailer implied.  I remembered it awhile back and it made it seem like it was going to be this comedy involving a giant monster, but...it's different, yeah. I won't spoil it for anyone interested, but the movie is abit darker than that and it isn't exactly a movie about a giant monster.  I generally liked it, the only issue being character related at a certain point in the movie, but I was still very curious to see where it was going to go.  It's a different film, that's for sure, and there's something in that when a lot of movies can feel very cookie cutter.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1214 on: August 16, 2017, 12:40:05 pm »

This show is awesome.

I wasn't expecting much, being a SyFy original, but it surprised the hell out of me. Great mixture of post-apocalyptic and vampires. And while that may sound like "been there, done that"; this show really grabs you by the balls. Intense, a little gory, and a great story.

I just started it last night and went 4 straight episodes.