Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 280171 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1215 on: August 18, 2017, 02:07:01 am »

The Girl With All The Gifts was a somewhat interesting zombie flick.  Nowadays it's hard to create something standout in the zombie genre, a lot of things have been done and people don't want to invest in the more crazy ideas, especially if it strays too far from whats popular, but I think they found a somewhat unique take on it, even if I get Last of Us and 28 Days Later vibes from this.  There wasn't really a point I felt super impressed by what was happening, but I was kept engaged.  Some of the plot doesn't particularly work for me, but overall, it's a reasonable enough watch if you like post-apocalyptic/zombie flicks.  Like a solid B if I had to rate it as it was pretty competently done.

I think that maybe I liked it more, being that I haven't seen a good live action zombie flick in awhile.  The last reasonable one was World War Z, which I was disappointed in because it didn't connect with the far better book, but that was 2013 and before that, it was Zombieland in 2009.  I'm sure I've missed some that didn't get a wide release, like how I sorta just stumbled onto this movie, but I find it's all to easy to just find some lame zombie crapfest than an actually good movie.  At least we get some good zombie games here and there.

« Reply #1216 on: August 19, 2017, 06:34:22 am »

Binged through the show as one is known to do with a Netflix release and overall I thought it was pretty good.  Better than Iron Fist and Luke Cage for sure, don't know if I'd put it over Jessica Jones or either Daredevil season.  The action doesn't reach the level it ever did in the Daredevil shows.  It's not bad at all, it's better than what generally passes as tv action, but Daredevil had it pretty great and you really don't get to that level outside of maybe the ending.  Did enjoy it though, as it was a good show to tie all the series up so far and it was pretty entertaining.  Can't wait for The Punisher now.

« Reply #1217 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
I'm on episode 7 right now, plan to finish it in the morning.

I like it so far, feels like a good mash of all of the styles of shows.  But I enjoyed Luke Cage more.

« Reply #1218 on: August 21, 2017, 03:16:32 am »

This show is awesome.

I wasn't expecting much, being a SyFy original, but it surprised the hell out of me. Great mixture of post-apocalyptic and vampires. And while that may sound like "been there, done that"; this show really grabs you by the balls. Intense, a little gory, and a great story.

I just started it last night and went 4 straight episodes.

I'm about halfway through as I found out it's on Netflix.  It's both what I expected from a SyFy show, but also just a tad bit better than usual.  I was kinda expecting something weak like Z Nation, but this is more like a budget version of Walking Dead with vampires.  It's entertaining enough to me that I might finish it up, though there aren't any characters I really like.  Vanessa will be a better character later, I can tell, but right now she's just kinda obnoxious.

« Reply #1219 on: August 23, 2017, 07:13:46 am »

Ended up not liking this movie very much.  I barely remember Prometheus and I was kinda hoping this was more Alien than Prometheus, but it's a split and a split that didn't work for me, because the Prometheus stuff wasn't interesting, but the Alien stuff struggles cause it's in between the Prometheus stuff.  It doesn't help that the writing feels bad, because I feel like the crew makes a lot of poor decisions, being the case that they are in charge of 2000 people on a colonization trip.  There's also some plot points that make zero sense to me. 

Everything with the movie in terms of visuals and design is great, some real good acting, but most of the rest of the movie just didn't work for me, despite parts that were pretty good.  Maybe it would've helped if I remembered more from Prometheus, I don't know, but I feel like there are some glaring plot holes here.

I mean, it's not the worst Alien movie, Alien 4 has that pretty secure lol

doafan

« Reply #1220 on: August 23, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
Took my daughter to the movies twice this weekend because she wanted to see Captain Underpants and The Nut Job 2 also saw with her at home Descendants 2 my wife also wanted to watch some movies so I saw with her Snatched, Everything, Everything and Don't Knock Twice, am right now watching a lot of Anime but can't post it here until they are over  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1221 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:28 am »

Ended up not liking this movie very much.  I barely remember Prometheus and I was kinda hoping this was more Alien than Prometheus, but it's a split and a split that didn't work for me, because the Prometheus stuff wasn't interesting, but the Alien stuff struggles cause it's in between the Prometheus stuff.  It doesn't help that the writing feels bad, because I feel like the crew makes a lot of poor decisions, being the case that they are in charge of 2000 people on a colonization trip.  There's also some plot points that make zero sense to me. 

Everything with the movie in terms of visuals and design is great, some real good acting, but most of the rest of the movie just didn't work for me, despite parts that were pretty good.  Maybe it would've helped if I remembered more from Prometheus, I don't know, but I feel like there are some glaring plot holes here.

I haven't seen Alien Covenant yet, but you saying that it is Prometheus like makes me want to run out and watch it, now.

I was a BIG fan of Prometheus (which I know I'm in the minority) because it felt like a big-budget science fiction movie. And I miss those. Most so called science fiction, nowadays, are just slick action movies or horror movies with science fiction trappings. Prometheus made think about possibilities, which good science fiction is supposed to do, IMO. But the thing is, I was never the biggest Alien fan. I mean I like them, don't get me wrong, but I think they're just okay movies with really cool special effects.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:47:50 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1222 on: August 23, 2017, 10:53:50 am »

This show is awesome.

I wasn't expecting much, being a SyFy original, but it surprised the hell out of me. Great mixture of post-apocalyptic and vampires. And while that may sound like "been there, done that"; this show really grabs you by the balls. Intense, a little gory, and a great story.

I just started it last night and went 4 straight episodes.

Finished this last night. VERY enjoyable. It does feel similar to Walking Dead, as someone else here mentioned. But it doesn't have nearly as much of the melodramatic B.S. It's more about the horror of the situation and the vampires they are trying to survive against, as well as the mystery of what the hell is going on with the main character.

My main complaint is that they didn't really finish anything at the end of the season. Everything ended on a cliffhanger. Not one thing had a sense of completion. If anything, there were even more mysteries on top of the existing ones by the end. Well, I guess we did learn what the hell was going on with the main character, finally. But her origin was all we got. Hard to explain without giving the story away.

Just trust me, if you like dark action, if you like horror, if you like vampires; do yourself a favor and watch this. It's on Netflix.

« Reply #1223 on: August 23, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »

I haven't seen Alien Covenant yet, but you saying that it is Prometheus like makes me want to run out and watch it, now.

I was a BIG fan of Prometheus (which I know I'm in the minority) because it felt like a big-budge science fiction movie. And I miss those. Most so called science fiction, nowadays, are just slick action movies or horror movies with science fiction trappings. Prometheus made think about possibilities, which good science fiction is supposed to do, IMO. But the thing is, I was never the biggest Alien fan. I mean I like them, don't get me wrong, but I think they're just okay movies with really cool special effects.

I also loved Prometheus, but this film was mediocre at best. There are several issues with the plot that make little sense, or try and recreate scenes from previous alien movies which are done poorly in terms of dramatic effect or entertainment. However, my biggest issue with this movie is the origin of the Xenomorphs which was stupid as hell and nearly ruined the movie for me. I'd go as far as to say it is almost a stain on the entire franchise. The movie looks great, is fairly entertaining, but I have to say it is my second least favorite alien movie, with only the fourth alien movie beating it out as the worst in the series. I'd say see it and make up your own mind, but this movie was a disappointment as someone who loves the alien franchise and Prometheus.

« Reply #1224 on: August 26, 2017, 04:12:34 am »

Now I don't really remember a ton from the Death Note anime.  I watched it years ago once, but what I remember about it, was that it was striking.  Strong visual elements that left impacts on my memory, bits throughout the series, despite not remembering all the story beats.  It was intense too.  I know a live action show can't really do it as good as anime, but where the anime is sharp, this new movie is dull.  It's hard to disconnect from the anime, but even then, it's not that good.  It's pacing is way off, there's never any serious tension, Light Turner sucks...About the only real compliment is that Ryuk played by Dafoe is great.  They keep him to the shadows so he never looks out of place.

This also has the most garbage soundtrack.  It's all like 80's soft rock love ballads or just synthy nothing, it makes no sense theme wise.  I'm actually going to go back and watch the anime now, because I need to see something good.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:14:48 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #1225 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:39 am »
Noctural animals movie 10/10
and anime Kakegurui

« Reply #1226 on: September 04, 2017, 11:11:59 am »

I recently finished watching the entire series again from the beginning all the way up to where the show currently left off at the end of season 7. In some ways I found GoT more enjoyable the second time around, mainly I was more familiar with what was going on, who certain characters were talking about, and more than anything, my appreciate for certain characters and parts of the plot increased. However, with all this said, the show did not feel as addictive and captivating as it did the first time, no doubt because I knew everything that was going to happen, other than the season 7 which is brand new. Overall though, the show is still amazing and a blast to watch. I went ahead and ranked each season out of 10

Season 1: 10/10
Season 2: 8/10
Season 3: 9/10
Season 4: 8/10
Season 5: 8/10
Season 6: 8/10
Season 7: 7/10

« Reply #1227 on: September 04, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »
I plan to go back and rewatch Game of Thrones when it's finished after Season 8.

« Reply #1228 on: September 10, 2017, 01:29:28 am »

I was skeptical when they announced a live action adaptation of one of my favorite anime movies of all time, but then the first trailers came out for it and it actually looked very promising. Then the movie came out and it really seemed like fans of the original manga and anime either thought it was a good, faithful adaptation or they completely hated it. The mixed reviews were enough to keep me from seeing it the theater, but not enough to completely kill my desire to see this movie eventually. So tonight, for $2 I rented it from Redbox, and even at $2 I feel disappointed.

I feel like in terms of style this movie mostly gets things right, but that it literally all this movie has going for it. The story is boring and is a failed attempt at capturing the originality and philosophical edge of the anime. There are several parts that tried a little too hard to capture the depth that made the original anime so great, but they just came across as awkward, pretentious, and pointless. The acting was spotty, the the pacing was just terrible; I was bored to the point of wanting to stop watching almost throughout the whole movie. Sadly, this movie is another shining example of why Hollywood should just leave cherished anime and video game franchises alone for respect of the source material.

« Reply #1229 on: September 12, 2017, 09:50:55 pm »

I was skeptical when they announced a live action adaptation of one of my favorite anime movies of all time, but then the first trailers came out for it and it actually looked very promising. Then the movie came out and it really seemed like fans of the original manga and anime either thought it was a good, faithful adaptation or they completely hated it. The mixed reviews were enough to keep me from seeing it the theater, but not enough to completely kill my desire to see this movie eventually. So tonight, for $2 I rented it from Redbox, and even at $2 I feel disappointed.

I feel like in terms of style this movie mostly gets things right, but that it literally all this movie has going for it. The story is boring and is a failed attempt at capturing the originality and philosophical edge of the anime. There are several parts that tried a little too hard to capture the depth that made the original anime so great, but they just came across as awkward, pretentious, and pointless. The acting was spotty, the the pacing was just terrible; I was bored to the point of wanting to stop watching almost throughout the whole movie. Sadly, this movie is another shining example of why Hollywood should just leave cherished anime and video game franchises alone for respect of the source material.

I think Ghost in the Shell is the closest they've been for Hollywood adaptations personally.  It did most everything right, other than the changes it did to the story.  I think they should've done an all new story for it.  Copying the original with just some story tweaks means people are just gonna compare it to the original and that's just not gonna work.  Warcraft was another that got real close I thought, but it's hangup to me was how bad the real actors looked in the full CG world.  If it had been full CG, that would've been a real solid film, though I still don't mind it.

I almost want to say that they are getting close to being good, but then we get the garbage that is Death Note and the status quo continues lol