Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 275752 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #1530 on: December 24, 2018, 12:51:43 am »

I recently rewatched both the original Home Alone movies (aka the only Home Alone movies as far as I'm concerned) in order to get into the Christmas spirit. Home Alone and Home Alone 2 were both staples of my childhood around Christmas time. These movies were cool, funny, and very Christmasy which made them favorites of mine growing up. Funny enough I still feel almost the exact same way I did about both movies as I did when I was 7. However, now I have the added nostalgia of watching these when Christmas was something I waited in agony for all December and much of November; I'd count down every day pretty much from the day after Thanksgiving on. I'd look through Toys R' Us and Target toy catalogs from start to finish over and over, formulating the perfect list for Santa. And then I'd watch movies like these and others I may review between now and XMAS, and enjoy every bit of them. Watching both movies really takes me back to that time and makes me enjoy them even more now. There is also a lot of humor in both movies I missed as a kid which makes them even funnier in addition to the slapstick of watching the likable thugs, Harry and Marv get abused by Kevin's traps. These movies are as classic as they get when it comes to Christmas movies and I can't imagine going a few years without watching them each Holiday Season :)

telly

« Reply #1531 on: December 25, 2018, 07:49:56 am »
We watched Elf, Charlie Brown and the Grinch last night! :)
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #1532 on: December 25, 2018, 08:37:05 am »
I've been picking up a ton of Blu-Ray upgrades to my DVD collection lately, and having done so I am revisiting a lot of my favorites:

The Back to the Future trilogy.  Part I is still a stone cold classic, and while II and III don't hold up nearly as well, they are still both really fun, exciting adventure tales.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  This is actually my favorite Indy film.  It's not without flaws, but its the one I watched the most as a kid, and may actually be the movie I know better than any other.  I love it so much.

And to get into the Christmas spirit I watched Rare Exports, and interesting Christmas story from Norway I think.  It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping, based off of the reviews and the general hype I had for it, but it is still an interesting take on the Santa mythos.

« Reply #1533 on: December 25, 2018, 10:54:14 am »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  This is actually my favorite Indy film.  It's not without flaws, but its the one I watched the most as a kid, and may actually be the movie I know better than any other.  I love it so much.

I watched the hell out of the Indiana Jones Trilogy (Crystal Skull isn't included because yeah...) when I was younger, and have only watched them again maybe once each in the past decade. I'd love to rewatch them and see how I'd order them from favorite to least favorite. I've definitely seen Temple of Doom the most, but I can't say it'd be my favorite.

tripredacus

« Reply #1534 on: December 26, 2018, 09:56:51 am »
This year's Christmas day movie was Prometheus as well as Alien: Covenant.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1535 on: December 26, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
I just watched The Predator (2018), on 4K blu-ray...my 1st 4K experience.

The visuals were impressive, but the movie itself was a one and done. It had cool fights, explosions, and special effects. But the story left a lot to be desired. A lot of stuff just didn't make sense, especially a lot of the decisions that characters made.

« Reply #1536 on: December 26, 2018, 11:59:31 pm »

Covenant is up there with some of the most disappointing sequels I've ever seen. I loved Prometheus and had incredibly high hopes for whatever sequel it would get, and it's like Ridley Scott just didn't give a shit once production started on this film, or he just chose his first draft for a script. I also felt like the characters were incredibly weak and pretty forgettable overall. Just my opinion of course.

« Reply #1537 on: December 27, 2018, 12:20:35 am »

Covenant is up there with some of the most disappointing sequels I've ever seen. I loved Prometheus and had incredibly high hopes for whatever sequel it would get, and it's like Ridley Scott just didn't give a shit once production started on this film, or he just chose his first draft for a script. I also felt like the characters were incredibly weak and pretty forgettable overall. Just my opinion of course.

It just seemed like he wanted to make a Prometheus sequel, but wouldn't be able to make it unless it had Alien in it, except then it's not a good Alien film, so what ends up getting made is a bad sequel to both things.  Not that I liked Prometheus much, but I'm annoyed that Covenant basically ruined the chances of Neil Blompkamp getting to making a new Alien film isntead.

« Reply #1538 on: December 27, 2018, 08:31:22 am »

It just seemed like he wanted to make a Prometheus sequel, but wouldn't be able to make it unless it had Alien in it, except then it's not a good Alien film, so what ends up getting made is a bad sequel to both things.  Not that I liked Prometheus much, but I'm annoyed that Covenant basically ruined the chances of Neil Blompkamp getting to making a new Alien film isntead.

This is pretty much exactly what happened.  Prometheus, a gorgeous if incredibly dumb movie, did not do nearly as well as expected.  Because of this the planned Prometheus sequel was mashed more directly into the Alien films, and the result is pretty bad.  Definitely a movie I dislike way more than Prometheus (although it is the exact opposite for the GF).  A: C is easily my least favorite film in the franchise.

An eight part documentary series, each part about a different toy line.  I loved the subject matter, but I wasn't a huge fan of the presentation.  The narrator was a bit grating, and it was a little try hard in spots.  That said, it was still pretty entertaining and informative.  The biggest issue was that some of the stories weren't nearly as interesting as others, or quite as paradigm shifting.  I'm a massive Star Trek fan, but am still not too sure why it was included here.  I'm thinking it was maybe done as a slightly lesser known proof-of-concept pilot.  And the Hello Kitty episode just wasn't that interesting, at least not compared to the other stories being told.

Still though, if you like toys, its a really good watch!

tripredacus

« Reply #1539 on: December 27, 2018, 10:15:41 am »
I really like Prometheus. It would have been nice to have gotten the original movie tho... like how it would have been nice to have gotten the original version of Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Alas, it was not to be. Having watched Alien: Covenant again, I am fine now with separating the Predator movies out of the Alien franchise, even though I did just watch them all together.

« Reply #1540 on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:38 am »
I really like Prometheus.
I do, too.  It’s a beautiful, technical marvel with an amazing performance from Fassbender.  However, it is also dumb as hell.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1541 on: December 27, 2018, 12:57:08 pm »
I loved Prometheus, too. Straight sci-fi that made you think. Not everything has to be high-octane action like Aliens.

shfan

« Reply #1542 on: December 29, 2018, 06:14:25 pm »

Got this on newly-released blu ray from Mrs SHFan for Christmas, it's another John Carpenter-directed film (the only director I've ever followed) and one I used to watch over and over on VHS when I was in my teens. It looks great on DVD and was a pleasure to watch again, Mrs SHFan hadn't seen it before and enjoyed it as well, BoNuS.

« Reply #1543 on: December 29, 2018, 06:18:25 pm »

Forgot that I watched this on Christmas Eve.  It's alright.  It's your basic "Save Christmas" plot, with Kurt Russell as a sorta omniscient Santa, but I thought in general was fun.

« Reply #1544 on: December 30, 2018, 09:29:22 am »
Phoebe Waller-Bridge (L3-37 from Solo) created and stars in the this dramatic comedy series about a London woman who is dealing with some recent tragedy in her life.  Waller-Bridge and the woman who plays her sister are terrific, and the acting is pretty great all around.  Because it is a British show there are only 6 episodes, which makes it kind of difficult to get to get too invested or understand any of the side characters too well.  I've seen it called a better version of Girls, but I haven't watched that one.  Only 3 hours for the whole thing.  It's worth a look.

I watched 9 out of the 10 episodes yesterday.  This series is phenomenal: perhaps the best straight-up horror series ever created.  It's scary, sad, and moving all rolled up into one.  More The Conjuring and less American Horror Story.  Check it out if you haven't.