Author Topic: The Oculus Rift  (Read 1893 times)

darko

The Oculus Rift
« on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »
Yeah, so I'm pretty excited about this. It seems like it's going to be the first step to actually doing the whole VR thing.

Anyone else have an opinion or even heard of it?

http://www.oculusvr.com/

scott

Re: The Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »
Really. I though VR was a relic idea from the 90s.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:30:29 pm »
Really. I though VR was a relic idea from the 90s.

Well...good VR.

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:52:39 pm »
I dont know anything about it myself ... but Ive always thought VR was pretty neat. I cant afford it right now but if something changes, it could definitely be something Id be interested in. Keep us updated on it. (or I can just come by and abuse yours when you get it!)

darko

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:30 pm »
I dont know anything about it myself ... but Ive always thought VR was pretty neat. I cant afford it right now but if something changes, it could definitely be something Id be interested in. Keep us updated on it. (or I can just come by and abuse yours when you get it!)

True. I already have the game (Doom 3 BFG is the only game so far that supports it). The issue is, the only thing anyone can currently get is the dev kit ($300). I'm half tempted to do it just for fun. It's something that I'll never get my money back on though. Still...I'd rather have this and only be able to play Doom 3 than a WiiU.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:21:15 pm »
Yeah, so I'm pretty excited about this. It seems like it's going to be the first step to actually doing the whole VR thing.

Anyone else have an opinion or even heard of it?

http://www.oculusvr.com/
this is the first, though... $300 is quite alot :(
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:20 pm »
It's a cool idea but I don't watch 3D because I don't want to wear the glasses and this is much much worse!

I also thought this was going to be about a 2D bullet hell from the name of the thread lol

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:41:27 pm »
300 is a lot, but that's the dev kit... Maybe the actual commercial product will be cheaper.
I think it's a cool idea, but it really depends on the price and if the thing is comfortable with me already wearing glasses.

I remember playing a really cool Virtual Reality game as a kid, at some attraction park... you had this HUGE helmet over your head and this big comfy chair and a gun. You were in a minecart and had to shoot enemies, but they really got in your face to attack you... My mind was blown, I figured THAT was the future of gaming. Then people stopped caring about VR. Happy to see some form of it coming back.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 05:31:47 am »
BING DEFINITION

Oculus Rift is a company that operates in the Computer Software industry and is known for its virtual reality headset and software12. It was founded in 2012 by four entrepreneurs who launched a successful Kickstarter campaign23. It was acquired by Facebook, now Meta Platforms, in 2014. The Oculus Rift uses OLED panels, headphones, and facial interfaces to provide a 3D audio and visual experience5. Content for the Rift is developed using the Oculus PC SDK, which is compatible with popular game engines.

I actually wanted one but when I saw how poor the graphics look for a Modern console, I said forget it but am still thinking about asking or buying one myself. it has PS1 graphics on that golf game and looks hard to navigate the golf course in game
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 05:36:48 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 08:18:30 am »
I'll never buy an Oculus/Meta headset given that it's owned by Facebook.

As for my VR experience, I have the first PSVR and honestly, it kind of ruined me on VR. It's not that it was bad by any means. It simply taught me that I have a low tolerance for VR. Unless I'm standing still in the game, I tend to get motion sick anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes depending on the game.

As an example, Rise of the Tomb Raider had the ability to explore Lara's mansion in VR. The walking was so horrible, making me sick in seconds. Luckily, they had a "warp" feature allowing the user to instantly appear to a point to look around instead of walking there. RE7 on the other hand had the walking down much better and I could tolerate closer to 20 minutes. If I was in a vehicle in game, I didn't get sick as much for some reason. I expect that was due to my brain understanding that I'll be sitting in a vehicle while in motion?

My favorite VR games were Moss, Star Trek Bridge Crew, and the experience ones where you go diving under the ocean. In all of them, the player was basically still, looking around.

I've no plans on buying PSVR2 as none of my PSVR games will work on it and it's insanely costly atm.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 08:20:30 am by telekill »