Author Topic: Saga Frontier?  (Read 3448 times)

darko

Saga Frontier?
« on: January 24, 2013, 03:39:19 pm »
So, I've been under a rock. What's up with the Saga Frontier series?

Part 1 & 2 on the PS? Are there more? Are they any good?

scott

Re: Saga Frontier?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
I have SaGa Frontier II. It's pretty sweet and the graphics are awesome. It's all hand drawn and seems to hold up really well for an older game.  There are 2 storylines to play too. I've only strached the surface w/ it though and haven't had time to devote to it.

I need to find a nice copy of SaGa Frontier I though.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »
I havent messed with the SaGa Frontier games yet. Ive heard that the first game had potential but it kind of wasted it. II is supposed to fix what the first one was supposed to have.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »
I loved SaGa Frontier II - was one of the first RPGS I played where I felt like everything I did actually meant something.  Not sure if it actually worked that way (I was in my early teens), but it felt that way, and I loved the art style and the whole package.  The fact that you get to play as different protagonists was fascinating to me at the time as I'd never played a game like that before.

Never tried the first one, but I've been meaning to get it as I've always wanted to try it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:15:54 pm »
I've heard that the first one is really, really amazing. It's just complicated and difficult. I'm kind of intrigued by both.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:19:59 pm »
SaGa Frontier is part of the SaGa series, no?  I haven't quite figured it out (or looked it up on wikipedia), but I'm assuming it's a branch off like Persona from the SMT franchise.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »

darko

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »
Here is a review of both games from RPGfan

http://rpgfan.com/reviews/sagafrontier/SaGa_Frontier.html
http://rpgfan.com/reviews/sagafrontier2/SaGa_Frontier_2-5.html

1: Gameplay 88%, Graphics 80%
2: Gameplay 87%, Graphics 97%

I'll take both!

godnightshade

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:27:52 pm »
Saga Frontier is decent until you have no direction on where to go, which happens in every character's story. Then it's frustrating and not fun.

Or playing the superhero story and getting killed immediately if you don't get a lucky shot in. Not necessarily fun, but frustrating.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:53 am »
Have both of 'em in the backlog.

Think they're 'related' to Romancing SaGa (played; IMHO = 6.5 - 7/10) & Unlimited SaGa (haven't played).

I'm pretty sure that the main "connection"/commonalities (other than art/sound) = having ~5 to 7 different characters/routes to play through as...w/ some overlapping.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 11:09:41 am »
Unlimited SaGa (haven't played).

Heh, I want to hear what you think of Unlimited SaGa when you get to it.  The only game I can remember where I rented it, got to my first battle, had NO idea what I was doing (despite having played other RPGs before), rinse, repeat, took the game out of the console and returned it to Blockbuster Video.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 11:21:38 am »
Unlimited SaGa (haven't played).

Heh, I want to hear what you think of Unlimited SaGa when you get to it.  The only game I can remember where I rented it, got to my first battle, had NO idea what I was doing (despite having played other RPGs before), rinse, repeat, took the game out of the console and returned it to Blockbuster Video.

Hah!

I've heard that USaGa's very much a "Love-it-or-hate-it" kinda game :P

Then again...I *did* end up on the "Love it" side of Cross-Edge...which seemed almost equally polarizing; Hmm...

darko

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:34:37 am »
I read a description of the mechanics behind the battle system. The issues seems to be that it wasn't really described, at all, in the book. If you know what you're getting into it's supposed to be really great.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:25:05 pm »
I read a description of the mechanics behind the battle system. The issues seems to be that it wasn't really described, at all, in the book. If you know what you're getting into it's supposed to be really great.

Ha!

Sounds right, Darko...One of my friends who *likes* the game said it took him hours to figure out how to open chests ;D

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:26:34 pm »

Yeah, I recall there possibly being *no* tutorial in-game for how the battle system worked and battles were random encounters so I couldn't even get far enough to figure out what the actual story was before throwing my hands up in the air in frustration.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas