Author Topic: Next Gen Announcement coming?  (Read 12838 times)

scott

Re: Next Gen Announcement coming?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »
I guess it also will not play PSN games you purchased on the PS3? That's kinda crappy if you ask me. Luckily I don't have a whole lot of PSN content downloaded, but if it was MS and the next Xbox I would be pretty disappointed.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

psydswipe

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2013, 03:15:47 pm »
I didn't watch the conference - did they mention anything about the Vita?  They'll probably wait until E3, but I thought I'd ask.

Actually they opened by saying how powerful the Vita is but then they went all PS4 for the next two hours. It was rather long though more than half of it was inviting up each individual developer/publisher on stage to show off a game, similar to how E3 press conferences go. They wouldn't even let the press hold a controller yet so that's something else for E3. Of course, they mentioned a number of social features and cloud items as many have already addressed here, but the conference was primarily just to make an official announcement which benefits the third-party publishers just as much as Sony since they can now say which of their games are for PS4. I'm sure we can assume Watch Dogs and Destiny are for the next Xbox system too but they can't say that until Microsoft officially names their next platform.

desocietas

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2013, 03:21:22 pm »
Oh, I didn't know about the incompatibility with PS3 games... So I guess I can't leapfrog over the PS3 (which I don't own) if I want to play the PS3 titles I do own...

Blast!

Also, thanks, folks, for letting me know the lowdown on the Vita.  I figured they wouldn't say anything about a pricecut or a new model or anything, but I just thought I'd ask :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
Oh, I didn't know about the incompatibility with PS3 games... So I guess I can't leapfrog over the PS3 (which I don't own) if I want to play the PS3 titles I do own...

Blast!

Ya, but if we follow Sony's history, the PS3 will still be in the market long after the PS4 has been released. And the console will be pretty cheap to pick one up new, albeit stripped down to bare minimum.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:33 pm »

Blast!

Ya, but if we follow Sony's history, the PS3 will still be in the market long after the PS4 has been released. And the console will be pretty cheap to pick one up new, albeit stripped down to bare minimum.

Yeah, I can probably wait, but I was hoping to play Ni No Kuni sooner than later :\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 06:22:25 pm »

Blast!

Actually, one of the things I find most exciting about the new gen is being able to buy old gen on clearance. Once I can find some 360s for $50 new, I will probably buy 1 or 2 as a possible replacement for down the road from bad lasers, RROD, or what not. Although, my XBox 20GB premium is still running strong after about 6 years. But the reports of these early models have me a little freaked out. But, I just open it up and clean it every once in a while. It seems strong and well built if you are mindful of dust. Or I may have just licked out. *knock on wood*
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ko1ru

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:49 am »
... Bonus points if they're like, "Oh yeah, and Legend of Dragoon 2, because some guy in a basement has secretly been working on it for like, 12 years."

LMAO!  This would be the coolest thing ever.  ;P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:51 am »
... Bonus points if they're like, "Oh yeah, and ANOTHER and/or A NEW SHADOW-HEARTS game, because some guy in a basement has secretly been working on it for like, 12 years."

LMAO!  This would be the coolest thing ever.  ;P

Fix'd :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:17 pm »
Shadow Hearts 4 and Legend of Dragoon 2 as launch titles. Sounds legit!

htimreimer

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »
here is a great comment about the ps4 from ars technica and im sorry that its a wall of text

I don't know what to think about the PS4, All they showed at the press event was that its an upgraded PS3. Heck even most of the games showed at the even are confirmed to be released on the PS3 (let alone XBox 360). And WatchDog was running, again, on a high-end PC.

The games demonstrated where not even a game demonstrated. We just saw few glimpse of game play, lots of fog, and particle effects to make it look visually appeasing, but nothing demonstrate the real power of the console. KillZone look nice, but if you analyses the footage, you question some ares as being pre-rendered (like the buildings where it starts), because if you see the trailer again, you notice that when he is walking, you see lots of impressive visuals, but the field of view is very very short... you have smoke everywhere. You can't see shit. I remember games on PC that used to be like this many years ago, it was a cheap trick to hide view limit, to show more impressive graphics. So all in all, I am not too impressed. Although., it did have some cool stuff like Knack that I was more interested in seeing as it was a PS4 exclusive.. but only glimpse of it was showed.

As for the specs, it's clear that the console is a powerful system.. for a game console, but I feel insulted that they just throw fancy terms that most people don't know. It has 8GB of RAM! WOOOOOWWW, While it is impressive, it is being shared with the system and RAM. It is using shared memory. Now while, on PC shared memory graphic card are very poor performance, at least they used GPU optimized memory.. GDDR5. But, the CPU will struggle.

For those who don't know, GDDR5 is modified DDR3 chips, where in exchange of reduce density and increase latency, you have high bandwidth. GPU doesn't really care about latency... it care and wants more high bandwidth over anything else. Why? Because it allows the GPU to store and load large data.. such as texture, and process scenes in advance, etc. The CPU in the other hand want low latency.

Also, we have no idea on the speed of the memory.. is it 400MHz? 800Mhz? 60000MHz?
Faster chip cost a lot of money... assuming Sony wants to avoid the huge loss they had with the PS3 on each sold, and wants to sale it at a lower price.. it's probably slow memory.

Also, we don't know how the GPU manages memory. Assuming it's a Radeon 7000 series architecture, those cards, while impressive, needs A LOT of memory compared to Nvidia offering with the 600 series. It's just how the architecture was designed.

Also, as the console record a segment of your play to share it, we don't know if it will be using an SSD to work with (but that will be a lot of writes, which might impact the life span of the SSD, especially if they use an asynchronous memory over synchronous ones (asynchronous  cost less), or worst, TLC memory. Or , and more likely, will be using the RAM as storage. So in the end, if it uses the RAM for temporary storing the game play.. games have what? 2GB of RAM to use?! So, in other words, they throw at us on purpose fancy numbers, in order to impress us, but they are meaningless.

Also, a lot of people are questioning the 8-core AMD... and saying it's really a 4 core CPU, with some technology to make it kinda 8. It's a bit like if Intel says Core i7, 8 core CPU... where they really mean 4 core, but with hyper-threading. That is what people believe, there is a lot of questions and ambiguity on this

Also, a lot of stuff that was said on the press event about the console where empty promises. There were at no point "We can do it", but rather "We think we can do it".

Also, all they have been doing it throwing at us buzz words, like we will be exited about it... I guess that's was more targeting for investors rather than gamers, that fine.. but investors didn't buy in, as the stock of Sony went down.

Ok so the console is not ready.. that's fine, and that's fair. Probably Sony is still working on contract with manufactures to know what they can have as deal, to be sure on what specs the console they can have, at the price region they want. That's fine... Nintendo did the same. So how about the controller? Beside the share button, we know nothing. Does it have rumble or was that put aside like the PS3 at release? How about the MAIN FEATURE of the controller, the big fat touchpad? That's like Nintendo going on stage and saying "Here is the WiiU controller, that black box that looks like a screen turned off, we have no comment on it." I mean common. So far, I see no reason or point of the touchpad.. at least with the WiiU game pad, I kinda can see what Nintendo is going for, and it looks fun to try. I don't see it as ground breaking, but looks like a cool feature to have to change the game experience a bit. PS3 touchpad? heeuuuuu... rub my finger on it to make my charter do stuff? Maybe, tap on it, and is like an extra button? Come one! Now, that is gimmicky like crazy! And I am NOT using a touchpad to interact with a game as a mouse. That's stupid.

And how about the console downloading games in advance with me knowing, as it thinks I want to buy it? That will kill my bandwidth limit. Not everyone live in a country that have GB/s internet and unlimited bandwidth. It better have a turn off feature.

How about latency in streaming games over the net?

So in result, I am a disappointing in this press event, it raised more questions than answers. It has some cool features, like streaming a demo, I guess sharing video clips in you are in to that, but not much. For me, nothing that says I want the console.
Even if you were not interested in the PS3, would still have a reason to buy it, and perhaps several games (which makes Sony gets their money back, especially in the later revisions of the consoles), due to the Blu-ray player, as it was nearly half the price of one. This time, Blu-ray player drop significantly in price. You can find some at 60-100$ on the PC, that can even burn Blu-ray disks. So I don't see the appeal.

Sony really has to up the game at E3. But I guess, Sony did what they wanted to do, get people talking about the PS4.

a lot of what he said i agree with, how about you

insektmute

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:42 pm »
I think it's better to make up your own mind than let other people speak for you, but my general stance is that if you're knowledgeable about modern x86 architecture, the specs make for some interesting reading, but for people who are not, it's pretty silly to parse the information from a layman's perspective and draw conclusions based on a position of ignorance.

Put another way: People know what 4-4-4-12 2T running in a dual-channel configuration means can figure out the hardware for themselves. People who don't are basically just talking shit.

insektmute

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »
Besides, if the rumors are even remotely accurate, Durango and the PS4 will be running virtually identical hardware, so... ?

htimreimer

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »
the thing i agree with him is the lack of a demo of the controller and the misconception of the specs that the media and people keep on hammering us with

sin2beta

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »
I think the spec issue can be boiled down to the following: if you want massive power, get a PC. Consoles are economy PCs built for a limited function. Console gaming and PC gaming are different beasts. I don't see a problem with that.

The PS4 and XBox 720 will be fairly similar. That is my prediction. In this sense, the specs don't matter much at all. The only way that they would matter is if you simply must have the best possible graphical experience and speed. If that's the case, go buy a gaming PC. But from what I've seen the PS4 is pretty good on the power side of things.

From the beginning, people have been looking for negative aspects of the hardware. Whether it is download only, no used games, always on connection, etc. People seem to want to hate this next generation of consoles. They have been straining to get any negative aspects they can. It's kind of fascinating to watch really.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2013, 07:02:22 pm »
sin2beta touches on something interesting, which is that in becoming so similar to low-end PCs, I wonder if consoles are losing some of what makes them unique and justifies their purpose. Previous consoles have all had components that made them stand out in some way, like custom sound chips, or RISC-based processors designed by MIPS, Hitachi, and IBM, but now it's mainly shifted toward AMD, Direct X, and... basically stuff I can order from Newegg.

This has no impact on users, and probably makes development a lot easier, but something about that kind of homogeneity bothers me a little.