Author Topic: Whos buying a Retron 5?!  (Read 3092 times)

Whos buying a Retron 5?!
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:12 pm »
Hyperkin recently announced their newest console will have a GBA slot and a Famicon slot making it the Retron 5.
It's got HDMI and will upscale all your retro games to 720p!
I've been using the Retron 3 for a while now and am really looking forward to this new one.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/24/hyperkin-retron-5-plays-cartridges-of-nine-classic-consoles/

Anyone else on board?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Whos buying a Retron 5?!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:50 pm »
If I didn't already own those consoles, I would. That's a helluva deal.

scott

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
If they made a system that played Every disc based system, I'd be on it. But, llike burning doom, I already own most of those systems, so I'll pass.

Plus I don't like "retro systems". and would rather own the original hardware instead.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »
This is the cadillac of game systems! I want one. :D

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:27:52 pm »
I own most of the systems as well, but its nice to have once console sitting next to my tv instead of 3-5. Plus it upconverts them so it'll look better on my bigscreen

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:29:52 pm »
Didn't earlier models have an Atari 2600 slot? Why take that out? The Game Boy slots have to be tiny, so they should have all fit.

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »
I'm wondering about the vectrex slot. How can it call itself retro while ignoring the vectrex? Who cares if it needs the vector monitor. It should come with the monitor as a 32x style add on.  8)

I don't know, as a retro collector, I like the genuine thing. I can get everything in emulation. Is there a difference between software emulation and hardware emulation, at least in spirit? Computers are more or less turing machines. Machines capable of mimicking other machines. The line between hardware and programming is very blurred. I think instead of buying a retron, I would just connect a PC with emulators on it. To me it is the same thing. Whether the rom is stored on a hard drive or a cassette is inconsequential. The retro part of me only cares about the nostalgia that the actual product creates.

Needless to say though, they are cool machines. I'm just not the market.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:26 pm »
I'll admit, I'm kinda stoked.  The only down side is the Retron series are buggy as hell.  Their Retron 3's were blah. 

Although I got a kick out of this line in the article.

"Hyperkin has developed a reputation for modern takes on legendary game consoles that are often better than the real thing. "

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. ::)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:16 am »
These things aren't as accurate as genuine hardware, PC emulation or even XBLA/VC/PSN ports so I find them pretty much useless.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:40 am »
i Bought a fc3 and liked it for a while but the slots got worn out and audio was shit.I know retron isn't the same as fc(yobo) but they both are muilti gaming consoles.I do like the room it saves but it doesn't have the nostalgia factor.plus the controllers don't feel right for the game.Biggest problem I see...No D-pad :'( Otherwise I'd have not problem picking one of these bad boys up...I'll prolly just wait for some reviews on it.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

soera

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:12 am »
As far as I know, the Retron systems allow use of any other controller for the systems they are playing

blipcs76

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:07:54 am »
I'm very interested in this thing.  I've got a projector-based home theater and my old consoles look awful hooked up on it via a 25' composite cable.  It's one device I can hook up through HDMI, upscales games to 720p and is a perfect fit for my HT.

We'll see how the reviews pan out when it comes out.  Here's hoping for the best.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:00 am »
I have the Hyperkin retron3 but this was because they told me that the wireless was delayed and half the time didn't work properly so you can use your regular old controllers with it to play the games you remember. I'm still iffy about the wireless Bluetooth controller as I'm afraid I will have the same problems from my retron3 wireless controllers
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

soera

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:21:29 am »
I have the retro duo and tossed the controllers immediately. SNES official controllers are some of the best so there was no reason for me to use anything else. :)

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:32 am »
I would love to have a wireless controller that worked with this system. I'm afraid of people who want to look at my collection while I'm playing will try and trip over wires. well that and less messy wire mess and not have to worry about short wires
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual