Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 17132 times)

darko

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »
I've only been here a short while compared to a lot of the others, but I figure if anyone here really wanted to wave their dick around, they'd go to GameFAQs.

eight equals d?

JK...the community here is super nice. We just like to give each other some shit from time to time.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 01:34:27 pm »
I think some of this got taken way too seriously. 
Everyone's wrong except me.  My opinion is fact

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 01:35:53 pm »

scott

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 04:53:35 pm »
Here's another one:

- SHMUPs are the only genre that requires skill.  :o
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 05:06:21 pm »
Here's another one:

Do you really think that, or are you trying to stir up the masses?

scott

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 05:37:47 pm »
Nah not really. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
Here's another one:

Go beat Ninja Gaiden II on NES, then tell me that.

scott

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
lol, ya I wasn't being serious.

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2013, 06:05:02 am »
I can't speak for everyone who holds opinions that might be interpreted this way, but I think reducing these comments to simply people determining "gamer cred" is simplistic view.

The way I look at it, a lot of us have been gaming for years, sometimes decades, and have seen enough big shifts happen in the industry that we have a certain sense when things are happening, however gradually. It stands to reason that a lot of what you're perceiving as superiority is really just knowledgeable, experienced people making a correlation between certain genres, demographics, etc. and negative changes that they've observed.

I've only been here a short while compared to a lot of the others, but I figure if anyone here really wanted to wave their dick around, they'd go to GameFAQs.
Possibly, but when you want to reduce a person's opinion/taste/whatever based upon where they shop and the genres they play (and engage in circular logic to tie them together and justify your opinion), you are clearly attempting to interject superiority over the person and their opinion/taste/whatever.  It's one thing for, say, cars or clothes, where there is a difference in the product, but when we are talking a case where the product is the same (minus pre-order swag), and you make sweeping generalizations, you are either intellectually dishonest, being elitist, or a combination of those (I suppose there are smaller possibilities, like a disgruntled former Gamestop employee or something as well).  While in many way Gamestop has done things which are a net negative for the industry and our hobby, in many other ways they have been a boon to both.  My ability to snatch up cheap, last generation titles on a used BOGO has been AWESOME for my collection, and I look forward to the Xbox 720 and PS4 for this reason alone.  :)  I could be reading all of this wrong, granted.  But usually when I see a "this/that" or "yes/no" argument with such black and white distinctions, I see it as a biased opinion.  And maybe *that* is an unpopular opinion.

But that's the point of a thread about unpopular opinions, right?  Hell, I encourage more people to distain Gamestop, as that's one less person who will grab a copy of a game I want before I get there. 
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 09:48:42 am »
but I figure if anyone here really wanted to wave their dick around, they'd go to GameFAQs.

You figure right, Insektmute :P

the community here is super nice. We just like to give each other some shit from time to time.

Truth!

Like I said earlier - I *like* Soera...I really do.

When I was just a wee-little nooblet here, he was always nice, friendly, and welcoming to me, he helped set-up a deal for me to get a sweet deal/price on a sealed copy of Suiko2, and, we've talked a lot through pm's, too...

Do I like/agree with his "Gamestop /=/ Gamer-Cred" thoughts?

Well...(hypothetical situation here)...

1).  Soera = "hardcore" gamer w/ mad skillz & tons of "gamer-cred",

2).  Disaster strikes :(

3).  Soera (in response to this disaster) has no choice but to sell his collection to a Gamestop  :'(

4).  Random person "X" buys each & every game that he sold there the following day -so-

according to Soera's theory...the new owner *OF THE EXACT SAME COLLECTION OF GAMES...is 'less-of-a-gamer'...because of *where* they bought the games  :o ::)

Well, then again, I've always had/been friends with mostly people who don't see things the exact same way that I do (I think that a band of sycophants -while maybe a novelty for a minute- would very quickly become stale & boring:)

Not only that, but, I was in a weird high school at a weird time where most of me & my friends had actually fought each other at various times...only to drunkenly make-up, hug, and laugh about it later that night :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 10:13:25 am »
Inspired by the hardcore/casual posts in the other topic:

People announcing themselves as hardcore gamers (outside of forum shenanigans) gets on my goat because:

A) "Hardcore" means vastly different things to different people, to the point where it's basically meaningless outside of whoever you usually hang out with.
B) The people making these declarations usually have two US Atlus RPGs and a box of cart-only Atari 2600 games they bought at a market to their name and think this makes them Lord/Lady Retrogamer of All Time For Eternity and Always.

(I know A kinda clashes with B but I'm a bit poorly so you'll have to forgive me that one)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
Inspired by the hardcore/casual posts in the other topic:

The people making these declarations usually have two US Atlus RPGs and a box of cart-only Atari 2600 games they bought at a market to their name and think this makes them Lord/Lady Retrogamer of All Time For Eternity and Always.

Laugh...i...n...g

...t...o...o...

...har...d...

...at...

...the...

truth...an...d.

...hum...o...r...

...i...n...tha...t...p...o..s...t...

...to...

...pr...ope...erl...y...

r...e...p...l...y...

y...e...t...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 10:35:55 am »
I'm kind of confused.  Is "Hardcore Gamer" a good thing?  I don't think of myself as hardcore.  A lot of people might disagree with that after seeing the amount of shit that I own.  Playing games isn't that serious.  It's supposed to be fun.  To me (my opinion), if you're that serious about games; you have a problem.
I don't think I'll ever be considered Hardcore.  It seems like to be a hardcore gamer you have to be kind of like a hipster.  You can't like what is popular.  You have to love shit no one has ever heard of.  To be hardcore, you have to import Japanese games and learn the language just to play that RPG.  I'm not hardcore.  I like sports games and Mario.

soera

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2013, 11:07:02 am »
Good lord, I should have known that only my comments were going to be the unpopular ones. Sigh ....

I really dont even want to comment anymore. People always blow everything I say out of the water. Honestly I dont think that any comments to dispute anything in this thread should be allowed. They are unpopular gaming opinions.

Can we just delete this whole topic? Its actually making my time coming here reading this really disappointing.

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:53 am »
Possibly, but when you want to reduce a person's opinion/taste/whatever based upon where they shop and the genres they play (and engage in circular logic to tie them together and justify your opinion), you are clearly attempting to interject superiority over the person and their opinion/taste/whatever.

I don't know a lot of gamers here in Portland, partially because I'm a bit of a hermit, but among those I do, there's a consistent sense that a lot of them are just kinda going with what's marketed to them. They'll trumpet their opinions and the games they play, same as anyone, except it's clear that their habits are straight out of what sites like IGN and GameStop are shilling, and I consider every corporate-backed site to have questionable interests behind them.

I find it difficult to respect that kind of thing, and so when I find myself talking to these people, there are two things that tend to happen. One is that I try to help broaden their horizons, and sometimes that means coming off as a bit superior, but that can be a matter of perception too, since sometimes enthusiasm comes off as condescension. I'm glad these folks are gaming at all, but

The second thing that happens is I tend to stop after awhile and let them do as they do, because I'd rather talk to people with more similar sensibilities, which is arguably how I wound up on vgcollect to begin with.

Obviously, we don't all agree on everything, but as with soera, I like and respect just about everyone I've met here.

Which is really what it boils down to. If you're knowledgeable and experienced about something, it's can be difficult to talk to people who are less so without sounding condescending and superior, regardless of intent, and people who are on a similar wavelength tend to flock together... which is why I said if most of us here gave a crap about dick-waving, we'd go to GameFAQs. We come here instead, so it's generally not necessary.

This is way too SRS BSNS for 8:23am. More coffee buhhhh....