Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 17151 times)

htimreimer

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 02:42:22 am »

I'm probably going to be raked over the coals for some of these...
i have the same feeling

- almost all of the games in the 7th generation are sh!t, full of over hyped and praised games and new IP's, old IP's that went rotten a long time ago and get rebooted with no regard of what made the original any good (they also get over hyped and praised) and let not forget, the franchises that are poisoning the industry like cod and assassin's creed, hand holding game mechanics, lazy and short single player campaigns that only get fixed by adding multiplayer and DLC,
I can go on and on with this but i won't

- the n64 is an underrated classic console with a controller that just take's time to get use to

-  the elder scrolls 4 and 5 are not good games, there mediocre at best and there only saving grace is the mod community

- i hate fighting games

- the ps1 and snes are overrated

- final fantasy vii is overrated

soera

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:37 am »
If over 50% of your games come from gamestop, you can not consider yourself a gamer.
Not that I'm judging, I'm just wondering why you think that.

Gamestop is the epitome of the wanna be gamer. "Oh you dont play FPS games? You dont know anything about gaming."

scott

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 09:36:05 am »
The N64 Castlevania games are good.

Agreed!

The PSP is last gens Saturn (as in, unpopular but has lots of fantastic Jp-only games that people won't notice for a decade)
Could not give a stuff about this upcoming Ducktales remake (the D&D games though... YES!)
It's really not that difficult to by niche games, more people should look harder.

*runs*

I've built up a small, but healthy PSP collection since I got one about a year ago, and I have to say, I really don't understand the hate the it gets from some people. Absolutely fantastic library, even without digging into the import side of things, and there are dozens of games I'd bet most people aren't even remotely aware of when they claim the system sucks. Gotta love an underdog, though.

I rediscovered the PSP sometime last year, or a bit before that. I had previously been put off with the system, because whenever I went looking for games, it always seemed like it was the same games on the shelf and the library really seemed stale. I think I had, maybe less than 10 PSP games because of it and never put much weight into the system.

Then I started discovering all the RPGs on it and it became more than "that system I can play Rondo of Blood on". Though I still dislike the PSP's leeching of the battery. I swear, every time I pick up the system to play a game, I have to let it charge.

If over 50% of your games come from gamestop, you can not consider yourself a gamer.
Not that I'm judging, I'm just wondering why you think that.

Gamestop is the epitome of the wanna be gamer. "Oh you dont play FPS games? You dont know anything about gaming."

So, you're saying that if I buy most of my games at Gamestop. I'm not a gamer? While I agree that a lot of the folks working at GameStop think they know everything there is to know. And there is an air of "superiority" among a lot of them. I don't see how shopping there is a negative towards a person's "gamer cred", ha. Hell, I go there looking for used current gen games all the time, I refuse to preorder from them though, unless it's an exclusive like Mirror of Fate's bonus.

But, I could prolly bet you that 80-90% of my PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3 and 360 games all came from GameStop. Does that make me, a non-gamer? :P

- Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best and last good Sonic game. 3D Blast was good and 4 gave me a bit of Nostalgia, but 3 & Knuckles still kicks both their asses.
- FPS games are a dime a dozen, like most sports titles.
- The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is one of the best strategy games out there.
- I refuse to buy digital copies of retail Console games.
- Super Castlevania IV sucks, mostly due to the 8 way whip. And I'm glad they've never brought that mess back.
- While Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is an excellent game, Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Esclessia beat it.
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is not a great game, and is really kinda boring.
- Mutliplayer needs to take a back seat to a good Single Player game.
- I'm a pretty big fan of Final Fantasy X and XII.
- I don't believe in repro carts of games that were actually given a legit release in my region.
- Capcom is a piece of garbage publisher. That only cares about Street Fighter.
- Modern games aren't hard enough.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 10:10:39 am »
- The Romance of the Three Kingdoms series is one of the best strategy games out there.

Agreed! :D

scott

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:54 am »

Agreed! :D

I can't even tell you how many hours I've put into either 6, 7, 8 and 9.

soera

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 11:40:46 am »

So, you're saying that if I buy most of my games at Gamestop. I'm not a gamer? While I agree that a lot of the folks working at GameStop think they know everything there is to know. And there is an air of "superiority" among a lot of them. I don't see how shopping there is a negative towards a person's "gamer cred", ha. Hell, I go there looking for used current gen games all the time, I refuse to preorder from them though, unless it's an exclusive like Mirror of Fate's bonus.

But, I could prolly bet you that 80-90% of my PS2, DS, PSP, Wii, PS3 and 360 games all came from GameStop. Does that make me, a non-gamer? :P

Thats not 50% of your collection is it? :)

scott

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 11:52:33 am »
Well, if you consider the games I've bought, since GameStop has been a "thing". Then it very well could be 50% of the games I've bought since the PS1 generation and up. :P

Your logic is flawed.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 12:22:07 pm »
(1).  The 3rd Shadow Hearts game (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) was fun *AND* did NOT suck on the balls,

(2).  Radiata Stories was a good & fun game, and

(3).  Metal Saga was the same as above ("#2"),

(*WARNING*) - YES.

I know that these next two may be borderline blasphemy to some of you...SO...read the next/last two at your own risk  -and- don't say that I didn't warn ya'  :o

(4).  Final Fantasy VII, while a somewhat fun & enjoyable experience, in my eyes, is over-rated...and...about a "7/10" game, and

(5).  Crono Trigger is:  "(the same exact sentence & sentiment as #4/FF VII)".
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:28 pm »
The Xbox 360 is a huge pile of crap.  Microsoft needs to stick to computer stuff and get the hell out of the console gaming business.

Ummm, no.

1) Most of my PS2, 360, PS3, & PSP titles have come from GS. B2G1 free? Yes please.

2) The 360 is a fantastic console with the best online experience for any console to date. It also has the best controller I've ever used. Most of the multi-platform titles released on the 360 and PS3 are better on the 360 as most of them are actually designed to run on the 360 first. This isn't true of every game, but I would bet that over 50% of them fit into this category. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an issue with either of my 360s. I've been gaming for a long time and there's a reason I have over 100 360 games and 36 PS3 games. I don't hate the PS3 at all, it's also a great console. However, Microsoft absolutely nailed it with the 360 and I'm hoping that their next console can do the same thing.

It's fun to hate on the big boys until you consider the facts :)

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:12 pm »
(1).  The 3rd Shadow Hearts game (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) was fun *AND* did NOT suck on the balls,

(2).  Radiata Stories was a good & fun game, and

(3).  Metal Saga was the same as above ("#2"),

(*WARNING*) - YES.

I know that these next two may be borderline blasphemy to some of you...SO...read the next/last two at your own risk  -and- don't say that I didn't warn ya'  :o

(4).  Final Fantasy VII, while a somewhat fun & enjoyable experience, in my eyes, is over-rated...and...about a "7/10" game, and

(5).  Crono Trigger is:  "(the same exact sentence & sentiment as #4/FF VII)".

Oh I definitely agree with you about Chrono Trigger and FF7 :D

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:42 pm »
I adore Chrono Trigger, but Chrono Cross? Now there's an overrated game.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
I adore Chrono Trigger, but Chrono Cross? Now there's an overrated game.

Haven't played Cross yet -but- if/when I do (from everything that I've heard about it), I'm expecting the music to be the best part of it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:22 pm »
It's fun to hate on the big boys until you consider the facts :)

My experience with the 360 has been a system built like absolute crap (and no, it's not stored in an enclosed space), up until the slim model rolled out, and a controller that's completely useless for fighting games and side-scrollers. Some decent exclusives, particularly for shmup fans who are willing to import, but better versions of many multi-platform games are also available on PC.

Funny thing about facts - they're often mutable :)

scott

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »
Somehow I think this thread is going to turn into a giant troll.

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:58 pm »
i agree with alot of these.

Timesplitters is the best FPS
$60 is too much for a video game that will cost $20 the following year (or cheaper if second hand)
DLC is a waste of cash and tells me games are being rushed out unfinished.
Ikaruga is the best shoot em up.
mario kart double dash was the best in the series

and the big one.  I ENJOYED BLOOD BOWL!!!!