Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 194180 times)

kashell

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #1050 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:53 am »
Yesterday, I finished Baten Kaitos Origins with about 50 hours of game time. That time could have been close to 90 hours if I decided to do everything. I have a review for it that's about done, but I wanted to share some initial thoughts.

The game was great, but not perfect. It's biggest problem was that it overstayed its welcome. The majority of the scenarios felt overly extended. Instead of getting to more good plot progression, the game would continue to add more and more padding. It wasn't that bad at first because you got to see Sagi, Guillo and Milly interact with one another and really get to know each other. However, by the time I reached the second disc I was tired of the excellent plot getting interrupted by mountains of filler.

I know a few folks on here were wondering if it was important to play Eternal Wings before Origins. I would say yes upon having seen the game's conclusion. While Origins does take place before EW, things have so much more meaning to them when you play in order of release.

Between the two games, both had excellent graphics and music. Origins had better voice acting, but both games allowed it to be turned off. Both games have excellent stories, but the pacing was much better in Eternal Wings whereas the overall plot was better in Origins. Combat was much better in Origins. In fact, another reason why I suggest playing Eternal Wings first is so you can appreciate the changes they made to the combat in Origins. I'm not suggesting that the combat in Eternal Wings is bad, but it did need polish. Also, little things like leveling up and classing up improved in Origins, too.

Overall, a fantastic game. It's a real shame that this series is no longer on anyone's radar because there is still so much potential for it in terms of story and game play. Kickstarter, anyone?

kashell

« Reply #1051 on: September 26, 2016, 09:12:39 am »
I finished a couple of things over the weekend. First, there was Mega Man Xtreme for the Game Boy Color. Despite it's music being at the mercy of the system, it was a really fun game. One thing I didn't like was that you had to play the game multiple times to get to the "true" ending.

The one I'm most excited about is 7th Dragon III: Code VFD for the 3DS. I went into 7th Dragon thinking it would be another generic dungeon crawler that I would get tired of, but it was an addicting and fun RPG. It was one of the better impulse buys I made and it will probably be remembered as the sleeper hit for the year. I was sad to see the adventure end.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1052 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:06 am »
It took me quite some time but finally got Platinum for Hyper Light Drifter.

I enjoyed this game so much, I'm so proud I backed it in Kickstarter. Yesterday they announced the 60FPS patch + Boss rush mode incoming, I can't wait to try it for my Alternate Drifter run!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1053 on: October 01, 2016, 03:39:34 pm »
I finally beat SMT IV.  The release for Apocalypse snuck up on me and I realized I never beat the original.  Rushed through the last 15 hours or so.  Remembered why I initially set this game aside.  The map and navigation are awful, I constantly could not figure out where to go next.  I get that the game doesn't want to hold your hand but they could at least label the overworld map!  I skipped lots of side quests because I couldn't figure out where to go.  Combat is still good like previous SMT games, if a bit simplistic and exploitable near the end.  The different end game paths are fun and I enjoyed the ending.  Overall, a fun game but so many frustrating and baffling design choices.  I've heard that Apocalypse addresses a lot of those concerns so I'm excited to give it a spin.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1054 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:50 am »
My Licensed North American NES Collection...

I'm done  8)

telly

« Reply #1055 on: October 03, 2016, 10:41:50 am »

I'm done  8)

Yayyyyyy! Atta boy  8)
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

pacpix

« Reply #1056 on: October 03, 2016, 07:14:17 pm »

I'm done  8)

Holy shit, congrats man!  8)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1057 on: October 03, 2016, 07:59:13 pm »

I'm done  8)

Awesome!

Are you going to try and get homebrews now?

azure

« Reply #1058 on: October 03, 2016, 08:44:46 pm »

I'm done  8)

Nice job, enjoy!

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1059 on: October 04, 2016, 04:31:54 am »

I'm done  8)

Cheers!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1060 on: October 04, 2016, 10:17:48 am »
I really derailed this thread.  I should have put that in the collection achievement  thread.

Sorry y'all.

kashell

« Reply #1061 on: October 04, 2016, 10:21:51 am »
Don't be. It's an achievement worth celebrating across multiple threads.

doafan

« Reply #1062 on: October 11, 2016, 08:49:14 pm »
Yesterday have completed the four episodes of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and it seems that this weekend I'll have to beat the game again cause my six year old daughter missed the ending dunno why the hell but she liked this title, she got mad because I let Moira to die at the end of the episode 4, being honest she helped me a lot with the maps, some times did get lost and she yelled at me saying that I was going the wrong side, she loved Natalia's scenes and even when at some parts of the game she was scared she always gave me support when I was facing some enemies, she even did the research of some items by herself and when a monster came by she gave me the controller to help her, it might not be the correct game to play with her but it's so freaking amazing that she got some of my tastes, my wife was sometimes at the room with us and also she kinda get interested in some parts of the story, she saw me play the first Revelations but she missed a lot of this second part  :D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1063 on: October 11, 2016, 11:35:09 pm »
I just finished Broforce. That was insane, crazy, and insanely crazy.

If you like Contra, Metal Slug, or any other Run n Gun games; this was built for you. It's Nintendo-hard, but you get unlimited continues.

You can do it, Bros!

maximo310

« Reply #1064 on: October 12, 2016, 01:36:52 am »
I just finished Broforce. That was insane, crazy, and insanely crazy.

If you like Contra, Metal Slug, or any other Run n Gun games; this was built for you. It's Nintendo-hard, but you get unlimited continues.

You can do it, Bros!
Nice, are you gonna do Hard or Ironbro mode?! The latter is pretty unforgiving from what I've played, so I debating on doing a Hard mode campaign and seeing how that goes.

If you like Contra, you should also check out Data East's Midnight Resistance!