Author Topic: overrated & underrated games  (Read 4729 times)

htimreimer

overrated & underrated games
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:00:28 pm »
name one underrated game and one overrated and why

underrated - alien colonial marines: from videos,reviews and lets plays i've seen, i know what is the problem with this game, its has duke nukem forever syndrome, DNFS is any game that has been in development for so long that by the time it released, its outdated, these games usually get panned by people because they expect more than it can deliver

overrated - skyrim, this game is mediocre at best and the only thing that's amazing about this game is the mod community, it rivals games like farming simulator and KSP on who has the biggest mod community

soera

Re: overrated & underrated games
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »
Underrated - Trojan. Its such a goofy game but its actually kind of fun. Ive never heard anyone other than myself actually liking the game though.

Overrated - Mega man 2. I cant tell how many times Ive heard people mention it as the best MM game but, to me, its actually the worst one out there. It has approximately 3-4 hours of game to anyone with any sort of gaming abilities regardless if they have never played it ever. It just doesnt have the challenge of the first game or the cool factor/new stuff that the following ones do.

htimreimer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:47:21 pm »
Overrated - Mega man 2. I cant tell how many times Ive heard people mention it as the best MM game but, to me, its actually the worst one out there. It has approximately 3-4 hours of game to anyone with any sort of gaming abilities regardless if they have never played it ever. It just doesnt have the challenge of the first game or the cool factor/new stuff that the following ones do.
i have never played mm2 but going by how many people talk about it being the best, it probably is overrated

scott

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:48:56 pm »
Or, it's the best. :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:14 pm »
Or, it's the best. :P
scott what games do you think are overrated & underrated?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:12 pm »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:35:12 pm »
Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated game in the history of games. People talk about it as the end-all be-all RPG.

As far as underrated, where do we start? Now days its cool to like the undiscovered gems. Metal Storm and Shatterhand are getting all the attention they deserve. What's left? I don't think Adventure of Lolo gets the love that it should.

scott

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »
Honestly I'm tired of the whole "over/underrated" thing. I don't really care what games people think are better/ worse than others, or if they are "overrated" or "underrated" for that matter. If someone suggests a game to me, based on the fact that I might like it, I'll listen. Like when everyone here was talking about SMT games and Persona. I checked it out and Persona 3 FES turned out to be a game I really enjoyed. Do I care that everyone else likes/hates it? No, not really.

We talked about this with Earthbound a few months ago. People used to say, "It's so underrated and such a good game. It's unlike anything I've played before". And now people are saying "OMG, the game has a huge price tag and I can't afford it! That game is so overrated." Seriously, it's a load of crap. I really think it has more to do with the game being overpriced than overrated. I've never played it, so I can't base an opinion on it. But I do know eventually I want to own and play it, regardless of if it's supposedly overrated or not.

I also love when people call out games, that are proven to be classics. And since there is a consensus that the game is good or even great, or if a game has gained popularity and become mainstream-ish it's "overrated", just because a lot of people agree on the subject. Or if there is a game that should have received more attention, but didn't because of poor marketing, niche appeal or low print runs they are "underrated". Please.

Overrated and underrated is thrown around so much any more that they don't hold hold any meaning. A lot of people like the SMT games, does that make them overrated? The Game Boy sold MILLIONS and an entire generation has fond memories of playing their video games on the go for the 1st time ever on a GB, does that mean it's Overrated? In that case, since we only have a handful of SHMUPers here, does that mean SHMUPs are underrated? Or since a game is so niche, that it lacks wide appeal, that automatically means it's underrated?

I don't read reviews, watch things like the AVGN or listen to what other people say about a game, until I've actually played it. Because I don't care. I'll buy and play any game that fits in the genres I like, and if I think it's crap afterwards then that's my opinion. Some other dude might think the game is perfect and he's entitled to that opinion.  And if I dig it, and I think people of the same tastes might dig it, I'll suggest it.

But Overrated and Underrated is a tag, like Hardcore Gamer or Casual. It's meaningless.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

atariboy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »
I don't think Adventure of Lolo gets the love that it should.

I agree! man I love that series.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:35:24 pm »
But Overrated and Underrated is a tag, like Hardcore Gamer or Casual. It's meaningless.
Quoted for truth

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:09:25 am »
underrated - alien colonial marines: from videos,reviews and lets plays i've seen, i know what is the problem with this game, its has duke nukem forever syndrome, DNFS is any game that has been in development for so long that by the time it released, its outdated, these games usually get panned by people because they expect more than it can deliver

No, it's panned because it's not a very good FPS. It's starts out well enough but it's all downhill from there (apart from the one bit where they recreate the set used in Aliens sentry turret/"That's inside the room!" scene), culminating in a final boss fight that ripped off a Code Veronica midboss and didn't even do that very well. The plot makes no sense and is full of people making stupid decisions (by either military or brodude "No man behind!" standards) just as an excuse to get you shooting at more aliens.

Sometimes people do jump on the hype train and expect too much... sometimes people call a game bad because it's a bad game :)

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 06:28:30 am »
Underrated - Trojan. Its such a goofy game but its actually kind of fun. Ive never heard anyone other than myself actually liking the game though.

I love that game.  The only knock on it is there's damn near no replay value.  I think I can blow through it in 10 minutes or so now.  Well, back when I played it alot.
This space for rent.  Affordable rates.  Inquire within.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:50:10 am »
Quoted for truth

Re-quoted for being the truthiest kind of truth  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:59 am »
Quoted for truth

This gives me an idea for the other topic...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
Quoted for truth

This gives me an idea for the other topic...

The "unpopular opinions" one?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"