Author Topic: PlayStation Long Boxes  (Read 4865 times)

PlayStation Long Boxes
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:58 am »
I bought my first PS1 long boxed game (Twisted Metal), so I had to research it a little. Evidently, there are 3 different box styles and some game variations. Here is a comprehensive list:

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/long_box/index.htm .

How to properly add all of the variations? See @scott and the Style Guide.

scott

Re: PlayStation Long Boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:21 am »
Nice find! I'll look it all over tomorrow and see what I come up with.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
oh nice. I'm happy to see that Doom is on that list as there was some debate a while back.

scott

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:22:58 am »
oh nice. I'm happy to see that Doom is on that list as there was some debate a while back.

Agreed,  Doom for PS1 was driving me crazy.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:39:43 pm »
so what's the story with Doom?

scott

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:09 pm »
so what's the story with Doom?

When we were adding it to the database we found both longbox and cd case artwork, but couldn't find any info in saying if it was released as a CD case version, or if it was just a fan made art cover using the art from the longbox version. But now that I know it was released as both, that makes so much more sense.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:44 am »
gotcha, of course we just need to trust this website now....

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:17:45 am »
I was just thinking of asking this question the other day when I also stumbled upon that site.
I have several long box ps1 games that aren't in the database at all or are only in as the jewel case version.

According to the style guide the closest fit would probably be adding them in with parenthesis like the 3 and 5 screw NES games.
Something like.
Game (Long Box Clear Case)
Game (Long Box Ridged Case)
Game (Long Box Flat Case)

The 4 long box games in the database now are all over the place in terms of styling.
Let me know what you decide and I'll add what I've got.

scott

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:18:21 pm »
Sorry I haven't gotten on this. But yeah, I think @climharzard has it. Then if it's got a art variation list it something like: Game (Long Box Rigid Case, Variant)

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:32 pm »
I guess I do have one more question.

If a game was released only as a long box, like X-Com, do you still want us to note that it's a long box in the title or you you want us to just put the game title with no note, and maybe note that it was long box only in the description field?

For example. Do you want X-Com: UFO Defense (Long Box Clear Case) or just X-Com: UFO Defense?

scott

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:57:55 pm »
If it was only released as Long Box, then there wouldn't need to be listed with the parenthesis, since there are no variations. But if it was like Doom, then it would need listings for each and the parenthesis listing the variations: Rigid Case, Flat Case, Jewel Case, etc.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »
Ok. I'll add in what I got when I get home from work.
Thanks

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »
I noticed one more thing in the site in the OP.

I had never seen one of the two covers they had for the long box version of Wipeout before so I did a little digging and eventually came across this completed ebay listing. Turns out that it's just a slipcover that goes over the box and not the actual box art.

I already added the game to the database here with the title "Wipeout (Long Box Flat Case, Varient Artwork)"
I'm pretty sure that "Varient Artwork" needs to be taken out of the title but should the box art images be of the actual box or of the slipcover?

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:05 am »
I think if it not an official cover, it should not be used. Otherwise, as @climhazard has said, and has already been done with several games, you should list as XXXX (Long Box Flat case) or XXXX (Jewel Case). Others have also done it with certain Sega CD games that had multiple CD designs. I don't know if the slipcover is considered official or not, but I think serious collectors would hate to see such unofficial stuff on their list, just as why I wouldn't list my fake pokemon game (that I am still pissed about to this day).