Author Topic: Board Games!  (Read 16837 times)

bobster

Re: Board Games!
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2018, 07:12:52 pm »
I've been on a board game kick lately, so I need to go back and read the rest of this thread (missed it the first time around, I think), but just wanted to let folks know about this Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/restorationgames/fireball-island-80s-board-game-reignited-and-resto

As for my recent games, I've been enjoying the recent trend of escape room games. I've tried one of the Unlock! games and one of the Exit games and have enjoyed them both. I think they do a pretty good job of mimicking an escape room experience for pretty cheap (sometimes as low as $8 for a fun hour with 3 other friends).

Picked up Forbidden Desert the other day and am looking forward to trying it out!

My game group liked Exit more than unlocked. Maybe it was the one scenario we played, but it didn't feel as streamlined.

Forbidden Desert is good times! Have you played Forbidden Island? It's an earlier game put out by the same people. Very similar but Desert adds more mechanics on top of it.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

desocietas

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
Yeah, we've only played one scenario of each, and my group liked Unlock! better! I liked them both for different reasons, so I want to try more scenarios to see how it pans out. Unlocked! is definitely more streamlined, but they kinda liked that (especially with the stress of the timer on the app). I liked that Exit kinda let different members tackle different puzzles at the same time.

Yeah, I was torn between Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island during the recent board game sale on Amazon, but I saw a few reviews where people said Island was a better one to start with, but once they got a hang of Desert, Island seemed too simplistic.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2018, 08:32:23 am »
We played the Unlock! games, but found that they are only good for 1 play through.  Luckily they were dirt cheap at GS.

But now that I know about this Board Game thread, may I highly suggest Dice Throne.

I think it's been described as Magic the Gathering meets Yahtzee.

bobster

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »
Yeah, I was torn between Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island during the recent board game sale on Amazon, but I saw a few reviews where people said Island was a better one to start with, but once they got a hang of Desert, Island seemed too simplistic.
I can see that being the case. Probably a good call on your part at the end of the day. We have both at my house so no worries there :)

We played the Unlock! games, but found that they are only good for 1 play through.  Luckily they were dirt cheap at GS.

But now that I know about this Board Game thread, may I highly suggest Dice Throne.

Dice Throne looks pretty interesting!

desocietas

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2018, 01:11:16 pm »

Yeah, the one time only thing is our biggest gripe, too, but at least Unlock! lets you pass the game on to other people (or sell it). Exit has components that may get marked up, torn, or manipulated in some way that makes it almost impossible to pass on to others (unless you're really good about using alternate ways to figure out the puzzle solution), but it was also nice to be able to have tangible puzzles to work with.

I try to avoid paying full price for the games if I can, but I try to remind myself that it's still cheaper than buying movie tickets for 4 people  ;)

I think I'd heard of the name Dice Throne before but didn't realize what it actually was. Too bad I missed out on the Kickstarters - it all looks pretty great, and I'm sad I missed out on a copy of season 1 with the swirly dice!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2018, 11:25:57 pm »
I may have to go through this thread and seriously look into the suggestions here.  I have gotten into it since it's something that the whole family can join in on and honestly my drive for video games has been very weak of late.  I still love to play them but have no real want to buy them.

bobster

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »
I may have to go through this thread and seriously look into the suggestions here.  I have gotten into it since it's something that the whole family can join in on and honestly my drive for video games has been very weak of late.  I still love to play them but have no real want to buy them.
Yeah sometimes it's nice to just step away from a screen for a while. The collector's mentality has been slipping for me as well.

As a suggestion for the thread, I picked up Azul not too long ago and it's a pretty fun quick game. I'd recommend it for anyone not looking for something complicated.

desocietas

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 05:06:10 pm »
As a suggestion for the thread, I picked up Azul not too long ago and it's a pretty fun quick game. I'd recommend it for anyone not looking for something complicated.

Neat! The visuals for it are really interesting and unique.

I tried out Forbidden Desert with my friends over the weekend (none of us had tried it before then), and we really enjoyed it. We totally got buried in sand and lost, but we felt like we learned a lot from that first playthrough. I liked the quality of all the pieces, too, and would definitely recommend!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

bobster

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
I tried out Forbidden Desert with my friends over the weekend (none of us had tried it before then), and we really enjoyed it. We totally got buried in sand and lost, but we felt like we learned a lot from that first playthrough. I liked the quality of all the pieces, too, and would definitely recommend!
That sounds like Forbidden Desert to me! I find we lose more often than win, but when you do win, it really feels earned.

Another game in that same vein is Pandemic. While there are tons of variants now, plus Pandemic Legacy (one of my favorite game experiences in a long time!), the base game is great. Hard won victories.

desocietas

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45:00 pm »
That sounds like Forbidden Desert to me! I find we lose more often than win, but when you do win, it really feels earned.

Another game in that same vein is Pandemic. While there are tons of variants now, plus Pandemic Legacy (one of my favorite game experiences in a long time!), the base game is great. Hard won victories.

Yeah, one of the friends has suggested Pandemic in the past, so when I heard Forbidden Desert was kinda similar, I thought I'd pick it up to try. I'm definitely curious about Pandemic!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

ffxik

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:57 pm »
To the few who play board games here, perhaps someone can help me out.  I know this thread isn't for this type of thing but I need help finding an expansion to a game that we have.

My kids love to play Rail Raiders Infinite and I am looking for the The Good, The Bad, and The Bot expansion.  I know it's not a good game but they like it, so I'm trying to find the expansions to up the number of players.  I managed Old Tyme Religion so we have the fifth player just need the sixth. 

Any help would be appreciated.

desocietas

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2018, 01:43:58 am »
To the few who play board games here, perhaps someone can help me out.  I know this thread isn't for this type of thing but I need help finding an expansion to a game that we have.

My kids love to play Rail Raiders Infinite and I am looking for the The Good, The Bad, and The Bot expansion.  I know it's not a good game but they like it, so I'm trying to find the expansions to up the number of players.  I managed Old Tyme Religion so we have the fifth player just need the sixth. 

I can ask Scott, who used to be an admin here and is currently in the miniature scene. Maybe he'll have a lead. Is it fairly limited because it was limited to Kickstarter release?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2018, 02:52:07 am »
Yeah, one of the friends has suggested Pandemic in the past, so when I heard Forbidden Desert was kinda similar, I thought I'd pick it up to try. I'm definitely curious about Pandemic!

For other co-op games out there, you might want to look up Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Dead Men Tell No Tales, 5-Minute Dungeon, and Zombicide.

Flash Point has you take on the roles of a crew of firefighters trying to rescue people in a burning building before it collapses. How characters move around and such is similar to the Forbidden games, but requires quite a bit more coordination between players. Dead Men Tell No Tales is of a similar vein, but in this one, you're pirates raiding a cursed ship for treasure.

5-Minuute Dungeon's a pretty quick co-op game. As the title suggests, rounds only take 5 minutes to play. How it works is that players have to quickly play cards to defeat a deck of monsters, but as everyone's playing at the same time and the clock is ticking, they have to communicate well enough that they don't waste too many cards and lose the game.

Zombicide (and its various spinoffs and expansions) is the most expensive one out of the list, but it's also got the most replayability. It's a zombie survival RPG where players play as a team of survivors,trying to complete various objectives while also dealing with the ever-growing zombie horde. As everything's modular and scenario-based, there are tons of different setups and levels of difficulties to try out, especially with the expansions added to the mix.

Also, if you get tired of pure co-op, there are some great semi-co-op games out there like Saboteur or Total Rickall, where while the game itself is a co-op one, 1 or more players may be a traitor with completely different goals in mind.

scott

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2018, 08:40:39 am »

We played Rail Raiders Infinite on Memorial Day with 4 players and had a riot. It is a pretty light game and the rules could have been clearer, but I def think that it's better with more players cutting each other's throats. After that game, I wanted to try it at 6 players.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised that you can't find it right now, because it's either not released to the public yet or awaiting a reprint of some sort. I'm guessing the latter. I found a post from Ninja Division on Twitter saying the release date for RRI:G,B,B hasn't been announced yet. Perhaps with Origins and GenCon looming, we might see new RRI retail releases.

Ninja Division's original Kickstarter release was missing the extra dice that it was supposed to come with and there was a big to do about it. So I'm guessing the retail release got pushed back a bit to make sure it was all set for retail.

That said, I'm supposed to be working with ND and judging their chibi miniatures painting competition at GenCon. Poke me in the beginning of August, if you haven't found a copy yet and I'll ask them while I'm there.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2018, 08:49:05 am »
5-Minuute Dungeon's a pretty quick co-op game. As the title suggests, rounds only take 5 minutes to play. How it works is that players have to quickly play cards to defeat a deck of monsters, but as everyone's playing at the same time and the clock is ticking, they have to communicate well enough that they don't waste too many cards and lose the game.

5 Minute Dungeon is pretty fun but brutal as hell. Communication and teamwork is a must. We've so far only been able to beat the first 3 bosses due to time and luck of the draw (both our own decks and the door deck)

They just did an expansion on Kickstarter too which adds some new classes and mechanics. Can't wait to try that out.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread