Author Topic: How much is too much??  (Read 3520 times)

How much is too much??
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:01:45 pm »
With the crazy prices fetching on eBay for some of the rarer classic titles, I wonder what others think too much is too much to spend on some of this stuff? I mean I bid $315 on eBay for James "Buster" Douglas Boxing for the Master System... Don't get me wrong It is a POS game and it would probably just sit on my shelf, but I'm not far off from having a complete US set. I'm one of those people actually willing to pay $500 for Magical Chase for the TurboGrafx if ever presented the opportunity. Ive been called crazy and I'm sure lots of people would agree with that, but whatever maybe I am! lol  And I do not make a ton of cash... I just have none of the bad habits that your average person has (drinking, smoking, drugs, etc..) so the money I would have blown on that stuff goes to games.

I'd say $500 is my limit on a super rare title and $1000 for hardware which means I'll probably never have a complete NES set ever... :(

I know everyone collects in different ways... Just wondering..

jobocan

Re: How much is too much??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »
I'm very cheap. I'm not even willing to spend 100$ on a rare title... unless it's NWC-level rare or something. I had the chance multiple times to buy rare NES titles (like Little Samson, Surprise at Dinosaur Peak, Panic Restaurant and Bubble Bobble 2... a reseller at a nearby Flea Market frequently has them), but I'm not totally willing to pay 150-200$ for them. I don't have a specific limit set, but I'm pretty strict about how much I'll pay.

I'll occasionally pay slightly higher prices for games I really want, but even then I don't really mind waiting for better deals... it's not like I'm lacking games to play after all. I'm not aiming for a complete collection of anything, so if I think I can find better deals for the games I want, I'll wait.

scott

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »
I tend to go for the expensive games first when I'm collecting, kinda like a get-it-out-of-the-way kinda thing. I am willing to pay a over a $100 for the hard to find games in my collections, or things I REALLY want. I've already dropped the $$ for Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark and Dragon Force. I dropped a decent amount of cash on my Game Boy Light, because Pikachu seduced me, and for my Castlevania collection I'll have to be willing to shell out some extra cash if I ever want to see a boxed Dracula X, Chi no Rondo (I should con @pceslayer into selling me his), ha or Castlevania Legends...

I'm not sure what my upper limit is, but I'm not sure if I'd ever drop something around $500 for a title. And I'm kinda cheap when it comes to hardware... I totally want a PC Engine CD for when I do get Chi no Rondo, but I'm unsure what a decent price is for the whole set up. Hell, I felt like I splurged overboard when I bought my MGS4 PS3 bundle. haha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:55:22 pm »
@scott the CD based PCEngine games are not region locked so Dracula X would play on a US TurboGrafx-CD(w/ sys card 3.0) or TurboDuo. Best option hands down though is a PCEngine Duo-R or Duo-RX with a region mod for the Hu Cards.

They run around $200 non ebay in decent working order or $80 broken if you're handy with a soldering iron.

And Dracula X runs about $80 without the spine card.

madmax

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:17:39 pm »
I haven't paid over $60 for anything in my collection yet. The time will come but right now I can't bring myself to do it. A more complete collection will probably encourage me :P

scott

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:59 pm »
I haven't paid over $60 for anything in my collection yet. The time will come but right now I can't bring myself to do it. A more complete collection will probably encourage me :P

Oh I've broke the 60 mark long, long ago, haha, If you ever want to see FFIII complete you'll be churning out those bills. Also, I was thinking you need to find an original PS2 FFXI HDD bundle for your collection. Not necessarily the expansions, but that is a really neat item.

madmax

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 01:01:58 am »

Oh I've broke the 60 mark long, long ago, haha, If you ever want to see FFIII complete you'll be churning out those bills. Also, I was thinking you need to find an original PS2 FFXI HDD bundle for your collection. Not necessarily the expansions, but that is a really neat item.

Yeah FFIII is the most expensive complete game I believe. I've been looking at those HDD expansions and they aren't cheap either :P This little guy here is also out of my price range for now. I've had to buy $700+ of school books last week :(

http://kotaku.com/5838647/final-fantasy-type+pretty-psp-bundle/gallery/1

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:44:08 am »
http://kotaku.com/5838647/final-fantasy-type+pretty-psp-bundle/gallery/1

It's definitely pretty!  $165... it's definitely a number that's not crazy but definitely not cheap either.  Tough call.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »
It depends on the item.  I'll pay $60 for a new game, but I'd never pay that for a NES game.  I'm pretty much in the same boat as jobocan.  I just have way too many responsibilities to blow that much cash on anything, most of all video games.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 12:22:24 am »
At this point in time I couldn't see much over $90 for any particular game, no matter how rare.  If it exceeds that, well it just won't be entering my collection.

I didn't wanna play Panzer Dragoon Saga that much anyway :/

amauriel

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »
I've dropped $250 on a couple of consoles (the most retro being my TurboDuo, CIB) and have dropped $100 on a few things (my Japanese R.O.B., CIB, comes to mind since he's a recent addition) but I generally haven't paid more than $65-70 for most of my games. I enjoy finding new online shops and tend to do some major digging before I pull the trigger on a game. Also, I don't often do the CIB thing on games, so I can go cheaper. And I already had Earthbound, which I picked up new when my local department store clearanced them out ($25, about a year and a half after it was released).

The games I've spent the most on are probably E.V.O.: Search for Eden and Harvest Moon (SNES), and I think those were both $70.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »
The most I've payed for a used game was $60 for a cart only copy of Harvest Moon on the SNES but I would say my max price would probably be around $150 for a game if it was something I really wanted and had money to burn, which isn't very often.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:43:39 pm »
I paid $108 for a brand new copy of Phantasy Star IV back in 1993 when I was 11 with my paper route money.  I would be willing to drop far more on a game if I was sure I could get most of my money back out if I wanted to.  I do prefer to find most of my games locally but as we all know sometimes the internet is our only option.

scott

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »
 I do prefer to find most of my games locally but as we all know sometimes the internet is our only option.

Sadly that seems to be the way it goes for Saturn games. None of my local shops sell Saturn stuff, except once in a great while. The one store I go to has a copy of Iron Storm complete in great condition though. Been debating on picking it up.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »
@scott: Yep, same thing here in Utah.  I've pretty much located all the stores that sell retro games and Saturn stuff is pretty rare.