Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28262 times)

htimreimer

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2013, 07:34:45 pm »
the best video a about the xbox one

thomascozine

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:24 pm »
I thought I read somewhere out there, that if you had a "used" game and installed it on your drive. That once you payed for the "used game tax" the game would activate on your console and deactivate on the originally installed console somehow.
I haven't heard of a "used game tax." Rather, according to everything said by Microsoft employees, it's repurchasing the activation code. Which will be the same price as a new game. Say, I had a XBox One game, hereafter referred to as XBone. If you wanted to play my copy on your XBone you would either have to play it with my profile, or buy the activation code to play it on your profile.

They claim that they will have a solution so you can sell used games that they will reveal later. Kotaku believes that this will be a un-consumer friendly process. Whereby you'd basically sell the activation code back though XBox LIVE or something.

sin2beta

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
I thought I read somewhere out there, that if you had a "used" game and installed it on your drive. That once you payed for the "used game tax" the game would activate on your console and deactivate on the originally installed console somehow.

From what I read that is if you sell the game. So, someone with the actual disk can deactivate your copy. Seems to be an issue on theft. But as long as you have the original disk, you can reinstall on anything and have it on multiple as long as it does not go to a different account. That is my understanding.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:26 pm »
I haven't heard of a "used game tax." Rather, according to everything said by Microsoft employees, it's repurchasing the activation code. Which will be the same price as a new game. Say, I had a XBox One game, hereafter referred to as XBone. If you wanted to play my copy on your XBone you would either have to play it with my profile, or buy the activation code to play it on your profile.

They claim that they will have a solution so you can sell used games that they will reveal later. Kotaku believes that this will be a un-consumer friendly process. Whereby you'd basically sell the activation code back though XBox LIVE or something.

By used game tax, I meant the need to buy an activation code on a used game.

From what I read that is if you sell the game. So, someone with the actual disk can deactivate your copy. Seems to be an issue on theft. But as long as you have the original disk, you can reinstall on anything and have it on multiple as long as it does not go to a different account. That is my understanding.

Ya, but if you take your disc to a friends house, install it on his One and use your account, then leave (taking your account with you) Wouldn't the game still be installed on that One? Then if they buy a code to unlock it, it would possibly count it as a Used game scenario?

Either way, I don't really care what they have in mind for it. The One isn't the one for me.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »
Either way, I don't really care what they have in mind for it. The One isn't the one for me.

This sums up my thoughts.

foxhack

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2013, 08:27:14 pm »

sin2beta

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:12 pm »

Ya, but if you take your disc to a friends house, install it on his One and use your account, then leave (taking your account with you) Wouldn't the game still be installed on that One? Then if they buy a code to unlock it, it would possibly count it as a Used game scenario?

From what I understand, that is why most people think the used game fee is the full download fee. In all honesty, I think we will have to wait at least until June 11th to find out. Then we will find out the solid details with Microsoft (hopefully). We will also know something about the PS4 since very little detail was given. We know about the controller and that a friend can join your game.

insektmute

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »

That about sums it up. The idiotic fees, mandatory installs, fixed hard drives, and Kinect requirement is just icing on the shit cake for me, and absolutely cements that no matter what they release, I won't be buying it, but it's the overwhelming focus on TV, voice commands, gestures, and all that other extraneous crap that turns me off just on general principle. It's cool if a console can do other things, like Netflix streaming or playing Blu-ray movies, but if that's the primary selling point, it's really kind of antithetical to why I buy game consoles in the first place.

People keep saying that this is supposed to be about the hardware, not the games, wait until E3, and on and on, but games and game consoles aren't mutually exclusive. Sony and Nintendo both made a sincere, and I think successful effort to emphasize that they want to turn the discussion back toward games. Yes, the hardware can do this and that, it's very powerful, but the reason is because it empowers developers and players alike. Their respective approaches were obviously different, but they're both trying, and I appreciate that.

Microsoft made me feel like a commodity. They got our money, they gained a lot of market share, and their investment in games is explicitly designed to be little more than a gateway into other content they want to sell us. Put simply, their entire presentation felt like a litany of pop-up ads, and somewhere underneath all that bullshit is a game or two that might be worth playing - but you only get to play it if you do what you're told.

People can argue that all these companies are evil - and they are, in various ways - but there's something to be said for at least trying to address the gaming community.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:30:56 pm by insektmute »

sin2beta

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2013, 09:36:36 pm »
I just saw the photo of the thing.

THIS IS A FREAKIN' BETAMAX PLAYER.

foxhack

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »
I just saw the photo of the thing.

THIS IS A FREAKIN' BETAMAX PLAYER.

THAT'S A VHS TAPE.

:(

scott

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »
Foxhack,

Caps.  ::)

I did lol at that though. It's funny.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:23 pm »
I told my 51 year old mother about the synopsis of Microsoft's shitty services with the One, and even she agreed that it's shitty. Since this looks like a VHS player, I made a video rental store analogy, since places like Blockbuster rent games. It's like if you bought a brand new movie, you could only watch it on one VHS player, and literally until you rewound it, you're the only one that can watch it. Which is archaic.

So if you were to rent the game out, people would have to fucking install the 15GB file, play it, uninstall it, and then the next person would do that same thing. The Xbox brand is fucking finished. And how fitting is it that the processor is codenamed the "Jaguar".

pacpix

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
And how fitting is it that the processor is codenamed the "Jaguar".
Ha I did not know that!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

blipcs76

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:01 am »
My most anticipated console release of the year solidly remains...Retron5  Microsoft has some serious damage control ahead of them at E3, and I'd be surprised if they don't focus entirely on specs and games in their E3 press conference as a way of saying "we're still a game console everyone!"

But they've pretty much engineered my 'anti-console'; fees to register used games, games that require an online connection (which renders them dead once the servers are retired), forced Kinect functionality and the TV integration aspects.  They've created a combination brobox-dvr, where you'll watch Game of Thrones and play Call of Duty.  The games they showed looked only marginally better than stuff we have on current consoles. 

Really not feeling it.  My money's going to Hyperkin the day the Retron5 is released!  And a Wii U once they get a decent library built up.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:19 am »
Or, I guess, if the drive crashes; what, you'll need to buy another new console *instead* of just replacing it with a new/working drive?  :o
I'd suspect your warranty would cover it.

Possibly.

And...if it crashes the day after the warranty expires = you're fucked; huh?!
That's not any different than how things are right now.

Sure it is...if it's just a bad hard drive, on the ps3, you could easily swap in a new/good one -or- even if you just wanted a bigger amount of memory - you could buy the drive you wanted and swap them.

Apparently, you won't be able to do this with the X-Box(D)one :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"