Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28322 times)

foxhack

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:33 am »
Sure it is...if it's just a bad hard drive, on the ps3, you could easily swap in a new/good one -or- even if you just wanted a bigger amount of memory - you could buy the drive you wanted and swap them.

Apparently, you won't be able to do this with the X-Box(D)one :P
I meant the Microsoft warranty on dying systems, not the hard drive.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
So then if I buy a launch console, and opt for a smaller hard-drive because the consoles are so expensive at launch; I can't replace it down the road with a larger hard-drive? I have to go buy a whole new console?! What a bunch of crap!

Or, I guess, if the drive crashes; what, you'll need to buy another new console *instead* of just replacing it with a new/working drive?  :o

Tbqh - I don't even care enough about it to look for/read about their presentation  ;)

Fair enough, foxhack...I thought we were both talking about being stuck (*Permanently*) with the drive that's in the machine when you buy it.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »
Im a huge Xbox fan.
but MS you will not be getting any money off me for the Xbox one.
i read the additional fee to play used games is going to be as much as the new game.
always online never works.
it plays TV. WHO CARES? you know what else plays TV? thats right my TV its what is was designed to do hence the name.
i think im going to just get a gaming PC instead.
what happens in 10 years when they release the next gen. are they going to keep the servers open? i doubt it.
screw Xbox one.

htimreimer

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2013, 06:22:01 pm »
you know the worst part about the TV functionality on the next box is gonna be, it's going to require special set top box that supports the new xbox and you gonna have to buy that special set top box

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2013, 07:51:06 pm »
So I have one question about this live T.V. thing.

Do you pay for the service through XBox Live and/or get it by being a Gold member? Or do you still have to have DirectTV, Charter Cable, or whatever service provider you already subscribe to?

sin2beta

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »

Do you pay for the service through XBox Live and/or get it by being a Gold member? Or do you still have to have DirectTV, Charter Cable, or whatever service provider you already subscribe to?

From what I've seen on Giant Bomb, it is still unknown. It is expected they are finally going to have to address the Silver/Gold plans and such.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

my guess would be that you only get the channels you have without the system.
movies will be a fee per movie

thats just a guess.

htimreimer

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:44 pm »

knowing how are cable and satellite works here in north america, you are more then likely gonna need cable or satellite subscription.
companies like time warner and rogers communications are gonna make this such a pain in the a$$ and vary expensive for consumers

sin2beta

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:46 pm »
Oh, I misread his question. You will definitely need a cable subscription.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:56 pm »
Then you'd still need a cable box/satellite receiver either way, so it's not all in one at all.

sin2beta

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:57 am »
Yeah, digital cable needs a decoder. I'm assuming this is proprietary to each company. I don't think Microsoft would have access to this. I'm assuming the all in one acts as a sort of all in one remote. Of course, Microsoft can't become the property owner of every service out there. But they can create a single user interface to interact with all of them at once.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:57 am »
It depends on if it has a CableCard slot. If so, your cable company "rents" a card to you that you install in the Xbox (similar to a PCMCIA card slot on a laptop) and boom, subscription cable TV.

Either that or it has a QAM tuner in it and it can only get stuff transmitted in the clear. Would probably be a good idea to slap an ATSC tuner in there as well if they're going for the "one-for-all" approach.

Although, if this thing doesn't have DVR capabilities, then what's the point?

sin2beta

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:13 am »
Although, if this thing doesn't have DVR capabilities, then what's the point?

If it has a hard drive and an operating system, DVR capabilities are just an app away.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2013, 11:28:08 am »
Yeah, but this is Microsoft we're talking about.

scott

« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2013, 11:29:12 am »
Ya but who will have spare space to DVR a bunch of shows, if they need all that space for retail games, plus XBLA games and such?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread