Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28374 times)

sin2beta

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2013, 09:52:59 pm »
Xbox One's Poor Reception Blasts Wii U Sales By 220%

That's hilarious. I can't say I'm surprised. I started looking at the WiiU after the used game announcement and most importantly the checking into the database (I don't mind giving money to developers but a possible paperweight in 10 years with dead servers is too much).  I just don't like Nintendo games much personally. If I could use an XBox controller on the PS4, I think I would be sold.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

brunauss

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2013, 03:14:13 am »
Xbox One's Poor Reception Blasts Wii U Sales By 220%

That's hilarious. I can't say I'm surprised. I started looking at the WiiU after the used game announcement and most importantly the checking into the database (I don't mind giving money to developers but a possible paperweight in 10 years with dead servers is too much).  I just don't like Nintendo games much personally. If I could use an XBox controller on the PS4, I think I would be sold.

Check these blokes out for such an adapter luv. Best selection and best quality for all your console modding needs.
http://www.extreme-mods.com/
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

ffxik

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:15 pm »
This was posted on TCP forums.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-preowned-plan-revealed-6408850?
Read update #2

Let the back peddling commence. 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2013, 01:22:43 am »
I was talking to a buddy about this today. We came up with a great conspiracy theory. Hang on. This may get deep.

Ok, Microsoft starts all these rumors about always on DRM and no used games.

They have this big press conference showing the new system.

People get pissed and grab the pitchforks.

Microsoft comes back at E3 and says they have heard the voice of the people.

They announce that the bad stuff won't be part of Xbox One.

They come out looking like a hero and get my $500 for a new system that plays The Price is Right. 

brunauss

« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2013, 03:08:26 am »
I was talking to a buddy about this today. We came up with a great conspiracy theory. Hang on. This may get deep.

They come out looking like a hero and get my $500 for a new system that plays The Price is Right.

Or end up a dedicated customer, paying them warranty money yearly to keep the thing running. That lasted for about 4 years and then I had enough. The 250 GB PS3 had just come out and it was looking like a much more attractive package.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:56 am »

I brought this exact same scenario up on rpg's ee board a week or 2 ago :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:10 am »

I've also considered this, but I've noticed that news tends to filter out very slowly among large groups. A lot of people still don't know much about the DRM aspects of the system, or the US-centric nature of services, so I keep seeing the occasional comment about how we all need to quit griping about games and wait until E3, as if that's the only thing people are upset about.

I don't see MS pulling back from this, though. They have a pretty consistent record of sticking with dead projects for years after release, no matter how it's being received - Zune, Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Games for Windows LIVE, Silverlight, etc.

sin2beta

« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

I've also considered this, but I've noticed that news tends to filter out very slowly among large groups. A lot of people still don't know much about the DRM aspects of the system, or the US-centric nature of services, so I keep seeing the occasional comment about how we all need to quit griping about games and wait until E3, as if that's the only thing people are upset about.

I don't see MS pulling back from this, though. They have a pretty consistent record of sticking with dead projects for years after release, no matter how it's being received - Zune, Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Games for Windows LIVE, Silverlight, etc.

Honestly, I see Microsoft sticking it out just fine. I say this because of EA. If you want to know where evil is follow EA.

EA stopped online passes for all future games. This is after making between 10 and 15 million in the first year from online passes. (reference http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/15/ea-online-pass-ends/ )

EA stops support of Nintendo but for a handful of titles. Citing problems with porting their game engine frostbite 3. (ref http://www.techhive.com/article/2039520/ea-retracts-wii-u-snub-says-its-brewing-nintendo-games-on-the-backburner.html )

EA is supporting both PS4 and XBox One both of which have heavy DRM possibilities. XBox One has mandatory installs requiring some sort of authentication (ref http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazine/gaming/xbox-one-will-not-need-always-online-connection-will-require-mandatory-installs-and-fees-for-used-games/ ) PS4 is emphasizing the freemium model. (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/07/30/ea-the-future-is-about-freemium/) Which of course EA loves. Freemium does not necessarily state DRM. But it does allow a company to do whatever on authentication due to the infrastructure. For instance Final Fight Double Impact is DRM heavy on the PS3 already. Singstar is another. Sony has already started the DRM race. In all honesty they did from the very beginning. Anyone notice how much harder it is to record PS3 gameplay than 360 gameplay? I'm close to swearing off Microsoft due to DRM (depends on E3). But Sony lost me last generation due to DRM.

Many analysts and reports state that SONY will have the same DRM. Honestly, do you think one company will have it but not the other? (ref http://www.computerandvideogames.com/409184/ps4-to-regulate-used-games-like-xbox-one/ )

In short, EA is happily supporting both XBox and PS4. EA is also slowly taking away their own draconian DRM methods. It only makes sense to me that DRM is heavy on both for EA to use Sony and Microsofts system. Microsoft has announced authentication. SONY has happily done DRM under the radar for years. Unfortunately, I don't think many people care about Nintendo right now. At least not enough to change course. And Sony and Microsoft both are happy to support DRM. My projection is that Sony and Microsoft will be on top of the market this next generation as well.

insektmute

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2013, 11:00:48 am »
Many analysts and reports state that SONY will have the same DRM. Honestly, do you think one company will have it but not the other? (ref http://www.computerandvideogames.com/409184/ps4-to-regulate-used-games-like-xbox-one/ )

In short, EA is happily supporting both XBox and PS4. EA is also slowly taking away their own draconian DRM methods. It only makes sense to me that DRM is heavy on both for EA to use Sony and Microsofts system. Microsoft has announced authentication. SONY has happily done DRM under the radar for years. Unfortunately, I don't think many people care about Nintendo right now. At least not enough to change course. And Sony and Microsoft both are happy to support DRM. My projection is that Sony and Microsoft will be on top of the market this next generation as well.

I'm inclined to agree, which is a big part of why I've been making such a heavy shift toward PC gaming lately. The closed nature of the PS3, 360, and Wii are making me very nervous about continued access to patches, DLC, digital-only games, and so on. By contrast, while some people may dislike services like Steam, and even GOG, there *are* options that don't exist on consoles, simply because the PC is an open platform - hardware upgrades don't impact ownership, servers don't get shut down from generation to generation (and there really ARE no generations), I can set things to be played offline, backup my games, move them around freely to different hard drives, even install everything to an external drive if I want.

Every console eventually becomes "obsolete" and I can accept that, but I really dislike that obsolescence is starting to include the games themselves, and my ability to play them.

scott

« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2013, 11:54:35 am »
Ya, which is why I'm waiting to see what the PS4 is about. At this point I've pretty much decided that I'll be getting the Wii U 1st though, mainly because of that Monolith RPG, Zelda and the ability to buy used games for it w/o getting dicked.

Other than that, I'm really thinking I should just upgrade my PC and move to PC gaming as well.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »
Yeah, I've gone from "Ooh, PS4!" to "Let me know when there's some non-douchebag confirmation." I'm pretty sure I'll grab a Wii U eventually, just on general principle, and Bayonetta 2.

In the meantime, I've upgraded just about everything in my gaming desktop. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, AMD FX-8320, Asus GeForce 660 Ti, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1866, Corsair AX760 PSU, and a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Only things left to do are some larger hard drives for me to install all my games, Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro fans, and some other stuff I find some excuse or other to buy because hardware tinkering kicks ass. Absolutely phenomenal performance so far :)

madmax

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2013, 09:01:55 pm »
If the PS4 can be priced at $399, I think the Xbox is gonna be the "loser" in this round of console wars. An important concept that I've learned in buisness school is that there can only be 2 main competitors in each area in the end. Each round, one competitor is gonna take big losses until eventually someone drops out. The thing is that Sony and Microsoft have other things to fall back onto, Nintendo is a giant with a lot of branding power).

Regardless, this is an interesting battle of consoles, all of them have different things keeping them in the race.

sin2beta

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:00 pm »
If the PS4 can be priced at $399, I think the Xbox is gonna be the "loser" in this round of console wars. An important concept that I've learned in buisness school is that there can only be 2 main competitors in each area in the end. Each round, one competitor is gonna take big losses until eventually someone drops out. The thing is that Sony and Microsoft have other things to fall back onto, Nintendo is a giant with a lot of branding power).

Regardless, this is an interesting battle of consoles, all of them have different things keeping them in the race.

Why $399? Does either console have a price yet?

sin2beta

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2013, 01:46:47 am »
So, I'm a little late to this news, but we know that Rare is bringing back one of their old IP games to the XboxOne. But... Microsoft obtained the rights to the killer instinct name from Fox back in April.

Holy crap... if Killer Instinct and Forza 5 (confirmed) comes out (plus, I do like Halo) ... I don't know.... I would love it though.

I do realize Rare is not the same company anymore. It'd probably be "Killer Instinct avatars with kinect". But I am looking forward to E3, for this, and the unusually large SEGA booth. It seems SEGA might be up to something more interesting than 3 sonic games and football manager.

scott

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
Ya I'm interested in what SEGA is doing. But I've pretty much given up on the Xbox One.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread