Author Topic: "T" and "A" thread/discussion...  (Read 6164 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

"T" and "A" thread/discussion...
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:11:13 am »
So.

As guys -and- as gamers - some of us love us a little "T" n "A", some just tolerate it, some loathe it...and - I'd guess that many are simply indifferent to T and A.

What's that, you say?
 ::)

"Tits and ass"  :o

Wow...just wow...the directions that some minds go in (including my own:) by default; is often to the lowest, weakest, and the least mature direction :P

*ANYHOW*

ITT ===> "TnA" = *NOT* "tits 'n' ass", but...instead =

"Trophies and Achievments"

Let's talk here about anything & everything that's related (in any way) to the subject of the PS3's trophies and/or the 360's Achievements.

- Do ya' like/love or dislike/hate 'em...why?

- Do ya' ignore them altogether?

- Do ya' chase 'em down relentlessly?

- Are you one of the gamers  who buys/plays games...ONLY...after reading/studying their trophy lists?

- Are ya' the (not so) proud owner of a Hannah Montana platinum trophy?!

Personally, I kinda' go through phases/cycles concerning trophies.

It really depends on 3 things:

1).  My Mood,

2).  How much I like/dislike the game in question, and

3). (Sort of related to # 1) = How strong & active my 'Addictive' (yes, I've always been one with an "addictive personality -and- there's no shame in my game about it:) and my 'Obsessive'/"Completionistic" drives are at the time.

So, if you were to look at my PS3 trophy list (which, everyone here can feel free to do); you'd see the last 4 games that I've played (starting with Cross-Edge, 2nd is Last Rebellion, next was Atelier Rorona, and just last night I finished/platinumed Atelier Totori) are all "100%-ed"/"Platted", while all of the games under it (my list is arranged w/ the most recently played/updated games on top to the bottom one being the one that hasn't been touched in the longest amount of time) range from 0% up to, around, 80%.

This is just making it clear that I've recently been in a very 'completionistic" frame-of-mind w/ my gaming.

How about the rest of you?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:13:02 am by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

Re: "T" and "A" thread/discussion...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:17 am »
I have some. I am not sure which ones I do have. Thats about as far as I get with trophies. :o

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:43:17 am »
I have some. I am not sure which ones I do have. Thats about as far as I get with trophies. :o

:o

How'd ya get that nifty little prefix to your "Hero Member" title?!

soera

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:32:48 am »
Omg .. thats funny. Im seriously lmao right now. I finally got some sort of title (although its not the Lord high Lord of VGCollect but it will do!)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:04:44 am »
Omg .. thats funny. Im seriously lmao right now. I finally got some sort of title (although its not the Lord high Lord of VGCollect but it will do!)

Wtf?!

You mean you didn't even know that it was there until I said something  :o

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:19:31 am »
Third post in and we're already off-topic. By the topic creator, no less. Good job!

I enjoy achievements, but only if they don't ask me to do something stupid like spend an entire year in the game (Garry's Mod). I've only 1000ed one Games for Windows game - Batman Arkham Asylum - but I've got five games on Steam that have all achievements.

soera

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:26:07 am »

Wtf?!

It wasnt there last night and this post was my first of the day.

jcalder8

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:29:20 am »
TLDR I like achievements because it just adds to the fun of the game in my opinion. It reminds me of when I would tell my friends about beating a level in the game but now the game gives me props for doing it.

Also it challenges me to play on harder difficulties.

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 11:48:21 am »
I really enjoy achievements. I don't hunt them down. I actually have a very low gamer score. But I generally think that it gives me motivation to not have a backlog of games. Or have games that I play for 30 minutes and never touch again. I figure, if I can get over half the achievements on each game, then I have really played the game.

The old games, I would play until I beat them. But some games this does not work. What does it mean to beat Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for instance. achievements also make me look at other parts of the game that I never would have.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:01:04 pm »

Wtf?!

It wasnt there last night and this post was my first of the day.

It's been there since the forum update. ;)

I used to hunt for achievements, but burned myself out on them. My GamerScore is something like 29,000. Now I am back to playing games just to play and enjoy them. If I get achievements along the way, cool. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time playing a class I don't like, or a mode I can't stand, just to get an achievement. But I will try to go for 100% if it's a game I really am enjoying anyway. Like Fallout 3, or Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. Out of all the games I own for the 360. I have 16 complete between retail and XBLA and 26 games with better than 50% completion according to TrueAchievements tracking (2 @ 90%, 4 @ 80%, 6 @ 70%, 6 @ 60% and 9 @ 50%). But like I said, I stopped caring about them awhile ago and got burnt out by them. I used to read up on achievement lists and guides on how to get the hardest ones. 

But now, like in Xenoblade Chronicles. They have a list of achievements built into the game. And when one pops up I check it out, to see what it was for. But I'm not staring at the list going "I MUST GET THESE ALL AND BECOME MASTER OF XENOBLADE!!".  And that while a neat new addition when the 360 launched, I believe that Achievements and Trophies lead to a new, worse type of power gamer.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:00 pm »
Third post in and we're already off-topic. By the topic creator, no less. Good job!

Damn!

I guess that means that I can't complain about it getting off-topic, then - kind of takes the fun out of it  8)

Achievements also make me look at other parts of the game that I never would have.

This is one of the things that I agree with & like about them, too :)

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:44 pm »
It depends. I like them in general, but I won't go too far out of my way to get 100%, and I'm definitely not one of those people who will play games I don't even like just to get more.

I also really dislike the ridiculous requirements involved in some cases, like with Dead or Alive 5. There's a trophy for unlocking every costume in the game, which is fine, except that one of Christie's costumes requires you to finish Time Attack mode on Legend difficulty... without continuing even once.

Now, I'm not a fighting game expert, but I'm a decent enough DOA player. I can pull off reversals pretty well, my defense isn't terrible, and Christie has been my main since DOA3. Legend difficulty, though? I can't even finish one match, sometimes not even one round. As far as I can tell, you'd basically have to be at the level where you can reverse or counter nearly every attack from an opponent, over the course of a fairly long string of matches. Yeah...

There also seem to be a lot of games that give up trophies/achievements for really stupid crap, like starting a campaign. Not a big deal, but not too satisfying when you get them.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »
I don't hunt either, but it does give me a little more drive to complete something a certain way, so that I'll have proof that I did it.  There is certainly something to that.

HOWEVER!

Nothing gets me more steamed than when I do something in game that should TOTALLY be a trophy or achievement, and it isn't.  Collecting all of this thing, 100% of whatever, should be a trophy/ach.  I remember specifically getting pretty annoyed at one of the AC games for that.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:41 pm »
I really enjoy the achievements you get with the natural progression of the game, but the silly bullshit you have to do to get some is not going to happen.

An achievement for completing the campaign?  Sweet!

Want me to get 100% of some item? Fine.

Want me to finish 1000000000000 multiplayer matches in one sitting? Go eff yourself.

scott

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »
Ya, I refuse to play Multiplayer just to complete a game. That is one of the things that turned me off about achievements. Especially when it's a game that EA released and the servers only last a year anyway.  >:(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread