Author Topic: Anyone interested in a together retro?  (Read 4926 times)

sin2beta

Anyone interested in a together retro?
« on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:50 pm »
Just curious if anyone is interested in doing a vgcollect together retro or let's play type of thing. Racketboy does this as does nintendoworldreport. But didn't know if people here would be interested.

The idea is that each month the participating members play the same game. You can post your thoughts, let's play videos, anything. The goal is to play games we otherwise would not play. We all have holes in our gaming catalog. For example, I have never played Wing Commander, Ultima, etc. The activity also brings back the memories of chatting with your friends about a particular game everyone is playing.

There are other sites doing it, so it may be overkill to do here. But it could help build the community as well. Anyways, if you think it is a good idea respond. Also feel free to post possible games. I would suggest leaving it open to stuff that is easily emulated or on GOG.com so as many people can join in as possible.

Current Standings
Vectorman (3)
Crystalis (2)
Myst (2)
Super Mario RPG (2)
Syndicate (2)
Batman
Bionic commando
Castlevania 3
Destiny of an Emperor
Faxanadu
Metal slug
Metal gear
Symphony
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:09:28 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

foxhack

Re: Anyone interested in a together retro?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
That'd be great, but considering we all collect for several different systems (unlike some sites which focus on one company) it might be a bit tough.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:38:33 pm »
I'd be willing to do this

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:02 pm »
That'd be great, but considering we all collect for several different systems (unlike some sites which focus on one company) it might be a bit tough.

That's why I'm thinking stick to something that can be easily emulated. This way it pushes us out of our collecting niches as well.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:42 pm »
im game as long as im not working

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »
Before the site crashed and the forums died, we did a community gaming every month. We voted on a game and all played it throughout the month. It was a good time as long as people didn't get too busy.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:23 pm »
ok this could be fun, i'm in but it has to be ether a pc game or something emulated
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:38:40 pm by htimreimer »

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:37:44 am »
I like the idea a lot, but I know I don't have the time to participate, sorry :/

scott

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:09 am »
I'd be game to give it a shot.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:57:20 am »
Well, there is at least some interest. Might as well give it a sot and see how it goes. If you guys want, we can aim for June 1st being the first date. I'd say list some games you think would be good that are considered classics but maybe you just never have gotten to. Or if you just know a good game that you have played. Anything will work. And even if your not interested, list some games you think might be good.

Snatcher
Shadowrun
Crystalis
Super Mario RPG
Ultima
Doom
Alone in the Dark
Psychonauts (GOG.com)

All of which are holes in my gaming experiences and nowhere near getting to the top of my to play pile. Add any suggestions you have and echo good picks from others. If games get echoed, we will put them up for a vote. That's at least my thinking. If someone else has a better procedure, let me know.

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 02:54:32 am »
Well, there is at least some interest. Might as well give it a sot and see how it goes. If you guys want, we can aim for June 1st being the first date. I'd say list some games you think would be good that are considered classics but maybe you just never have gotten to. Or if you just know a good game that you have played. Anything will work. And even if your not interested, list some games you think might be good.

Snatcher
Shadowrun
Crystalis
Super Mario RPG
Ultima
Doom
Alone in the Dark
Psychonauts (GOG.com)

All of which are holes in my gaming experiences and nowhere near getting to the top of my to play pile. Add any suggestions you have and echo good picks from others. If games get echoed, we will put them up for a vote. That's at least my thinking. If someone else has a better procedure, let me know.
here's some games that can be added to the list

myst
time cop on nes
nancy drew games
beneath a steel sky (free on GOG)
the lost crown a ghost hunting adventure

all of these game are under $10 and are downloadable just in case some one doesn't have one of these games

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:15 am »
Nice idea -but- since I don't game on a pc and/or emulate anything, and since I basically can only play certain types of rpg's...I'll just cheer the rest of ya on  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

thomascozine

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
I'd be up for this. It shouldn't be too hard to find a game or two that we can all agree on. What with the compare lists option.

scott

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »
Shadowrun
Crystalis
Super Mario RPG
Psychonauts (GOG.com)

I'd be down for any of these, since I own or can get my hands on them easily.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 04:39:18 pm »

Snatcher
Shadowrun
Crystalis
Super Mario RPG
Ultima
Doom
Alone in the Dark
Psychonauts (GOG.com)

here's some games that can be added to the list

myst
time cop on nes
nancy drew games
beneath a steel sky (free on GOG)
the lost crown a ghost hunting adventure

all of these game are under $10 and are downloadable just in case some one doesn't have one of these games

I would also echo myst. It's been on my list.

I say we get a list of games for today and tomorrow and then start a voting process.

I put a list of games that more than one person mentioned in the first post.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:41:27 pm by sin2beta »