Author Topic: Official Xbox One patch allows used games and offline play, disables region lock  (Read 3790 times)

scott

I agree wholeheartedly.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

My slightly informed idea as to what really happened:

EA and Ubisoft struck a deal with MS several years ago after seeing the total outrage that their DRM heavy software created. They likely approached Sony and Nintendo as well. When Nintendo told them to screw off, EA decided to try and bigdog them by announcing that they will not be creating software for the WiiU...to which the entire WiiU fanbase simply shrugged their shoulders and played a Mario game. Sony likey said, "we'll see" knowing that MS had already struck a deal with them. They simply waited until MS announced their new hardware and the policies to go along with it. After seeing the crazy amount of backlash, they told EA and Ubisoft to essentially f-off. All of the negative press surrounding the XBone gave them enough leverage (along with the fact that they are a much more mature console maker who understands their demographic) to do so. At this point, MS likely decided to break contracts with EA and Ubisoft concerning DRM and informs them that the DRM business is their problem. I'm sure there were financial ramifications to this, but after seeing Sony totally dominate them in console pre-orders, they likely had very little choice.

I have absolutely zero doubt that MS is ONLY doing this because they saw their projected sales figures drop. I love the 360, but I have never trusted them. They are ONLY in the console market to turn a profit and have very little insight into their demographic. I'm going back to Sony for the PS4 (PS2 was my console of choice in the prior round). It's not so much the fact that they want to make tons of money, so would I. It's about where I think MS is trying to go, where they want to be, and how very little they truly care about the industry, the gamer in general, or the individuals that pay for their products.

It's not like it matters which system you buy anyway. Unless you really need to play the new Halo game, I think you'll find that almost all of the big titles are going to be cross platform (to an even greater extent than is currently seen). There is very little difference in the two systems' hardware and architecture. This was done for a reason.

Despite this attempt at redemption, MS has already lost the race in this upcoming generation.

Something is striking me as being "off" about this post...

...wait a minute, now...

...trying to identify what it is & put it into words...

...OH!  Okay, I've got it now...

...There's just *WAY* too much logic,calm, open-minded & rational thought, and sense in it; that it struck me as being 'out-of-place' on any sort of gaming-related site  :o

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

htimreimer

i'm surprised that no one is talking  about how  microsoft has said nothing about disabling the kinect and has said nothing about releasing the xbox outside of the  21 countries they announced

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

i'm surprised that no one is talking  about how  microsoft has said nothing about disabling the kinect and has said nothing about releasing the xbox outside of the  21 countries they announced
well I do call it the Spybox

darko

After talking with Adam Sessler this weekend, I can tell you that you can safely omit the Ubisoft claim in my post. Basically, it was more than likely all EA. Also, I pretty much believe that the real reason EA told Nintendo to screw off was because they don't see their releases on the WiiU benefiting them much. I can see that.

blipcs76

After talking with Adam Sessler this weekend, I can tell you that you can safely omit the Ubisoft claim in my post. Basically, it was more than likely all EA. Also, I pretty much believe that the real reason EA told Nintendo to screw off was because they don't see their releases on the WiiU benefiting them much. I can see that.

I thought the EA / Nintendo fallout was because EA wanted to run Nintendo's online services through Origin and Nintendo told EA to shove it.

darko

It could have very well been a combination of things, but I highly doubt EA was too excited to keep pumping out software for Nintendo. It's simply not where they make their money.

sin2beta

Here is a great panel from screwattack. I've been trying to find it online since the convention. Jim Sterling does the greatest analogy ever on the situation go to time 10:15 and wait for the Freddy Krueger at a bar. The whole panel is pretty good though.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c