Author Topic: Cart based systems vs. my HDTV! FIGHT!  (Read 6498 times)

Re: Cart based systems vs. my HDTV! FIGHT!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 09:36:08 pm »
I wouldn't pick it up to fix the problem. I don't know exactly what is with you TV, so who know what will fix it.

But the setup is expensive. It is something I am slowly working on. But, definitely keep the money toward the business. Starting up is the rough part. I remember my parents starting a store when I was a kid. It's exciting, stressful, and hard. But being your own boss is priceless.

And remember, a lot of purchases can be tax write offs. Who knows, you may want a demo unit at your booth?

Yeah, the RGB cables are definitely something I want in the long run, but the business comes first!

I really appreciate your encouragement!
I'm not really keen on how tax write offs work right now.
I remember alot of resellers coming into meijer when I used to work there and they used to buy all of our systems we had and get a tax exemption.
I most likely need some kind of license for that.
It will be a thing I look into after our first weekend at the booth, which starts tomorrow at 6AM!
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:36 pm »
Test your systems composite out on a different TV to be sure it isn't your hardware that has the issue. Take it over a friends perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:45:14 pm by pceslayer »

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 05:03:23 pm »
Test your systems composite out on a different TV to be sure it isn't your hardware that has the issue. Take it over a friends perhaps?

I can play it in the living room and anywhere else I take it.
They always work well.
I make music.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:47 am »
as others have said... try picking up a old vcr and using that as a passthrough.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 12:10:15 am »
No luck with the VCR pass through either... I guess I'll have to deal with RF until I can afford a new TV
I make music.

darko

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »
I wouldn't start investing in SCART to fix your current issue. If you want all of your devices to run SCART for quality's sake, then by all means. However, if you're just going to do it to fix the TV issue, I would suggest investing in a nicer TV. In all honesty that would likely cost less than converting everything into SCART.

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:08 pm »
I wouldn't start investing in SCART to fix your current issue. If you want all of your devices to run SCART for quality's sake, then by all means. However, if you're just going to do it to fix the TV issue, I would suggest investing in a nicer TV. In all honesty that would likely cost less than converting everything into SCART.

I don't know where you're buying your TVs! The converter can be found for $40 with patience... $50 is you just want it now. Each cable is then around $10. You don't NEED the switcher. This is certainly cheaper than a TV.

Plus, the main problem with playing retro games on a modern tv is that they are too nice. The game systems (or in a lot of instances the connections) were made for crappy televisions. Rather than get a nicer TV (which could make the problem worse with higher resolutions), invest in the connections that are capable of more channels of information.

But I would definitely say do not invest in scart to fix the problem. Who knows what the problem is. You could spend $60 and have no solution.

What I would do.... drive through several apartment complexes to see if there are old CRT tv sets by dumpsters. Or go to a thrift store or craigslist. You should be able to get a 32 inch TV for about 20 bucks. Cheapest fix.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24:47 pm »
What I would do.... drive through several apartment complexes to see if there are old CRT tv sets by dumpsters. Or go to a thrift store or craigslist. You should be able to get a 32 inch TV for about 20 bucks. Cheapest fix.

Do this! These consoles are designed to be played on a CRT and so CRT is the best way to experience them.

scott

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »

Do this! These consoles are designed to be played on a CRT and so CRT is the best way to experience them.

Agreed. I had my old consoles hooked up to my HDTV and didn't like it at all. Now I've got my old stuff hooked into a CRT and it's like night and day.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 03:17:45 pm »
I have a few CRT's in my garage, the problem is space. I don't have anywhere to put them, so that isn't an option. And I wouldn't buy a SCART setup just to fix a problem, just for better quality.
I make music.

maverickbna

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »
Thanks alot, Sin!
I can't afford the equipment right now unfortunately.
But as soon as I can, I'm going upgrade to that setup.
That picture difference is crazy!
Lol, I guess I can't complain, after all I did get the TV for $150. But still...
I just hope when I do get it, it will work and not have the same issues...

It might be worth checking local thrift stores and Goodwill locations to buy a good CRT TV for your retro systems. You'd get a better experience on one of them than trying your HDTV, especially with the inputs disappearing. I've seen big TVs at my local Goodwill for $15 or $20. I even bought a 30" Sony WEGA CRT HDTV for $20 there a couple months ago! You could also get a great Sony Trinitron TV at the same price.

maverickbna

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 12:38:14 pm »
I have a few CRT's in my garage, the problem is space. I don't have anywhere to put them, so that isn't an option. And I wouldn't buy a SCART setup just to fix a problem, just for better quality.

Oops, missed that post when I replied.

Sorry!

scott

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 09:00:22 am »
This is an interesting read. But I got lost in a lot of the technical stuff.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »
Yeah, the guy in one of the videos I purchased got a Sony BVM recently. I totally want one. But I am really stuck in the struggle of picture size vs quality. They are in complete opposition. A 20 inch CRT is pretty damn small.

But, that article is really good. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing, but it appears very informative. I am going to read it this evening I think.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

theflea

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:17 am »
I mostly use 2 HDTVs for most all my games, a Samsung 48" 1080 and a JVC 32" 720.
I've only found a few consoles that have issues on the HDTVs (not counting the pal consoles, those I have a Pal tube TV)

1. Intellivision - For some reason the 1080 screen shakes real bad. But it works fine on the 720.
2. APF MP1000 - This obscure console will not work on any HDTV, I have to use a tube for it to work at all.
3. Pong Consoles - These are hit and miss, some work fine on the 1080 others only work on the 720 while others need a tube.
4. RCA Studio II - I can't even get a picture on the 1080, but it works fine on the 720.

I find it funny that these few consoles will not work on a 1080 HDTV while the 1st console ever made the Odyssey 1 works great on any TV I have. lol

I even have no issues with Japanese RF consoles where I have to turn the channel to Cable 96 to play it.

So if anyone is looking for a HDTV that works with classic consoles, I recommend a Samsung 1080 because if it's anything like mine, it will play all your consoles but the few I mentioned. But if your into lightgun games, you'll still need to drag out an old tube.
Just look at the back and make sure it has an RF, AV, RBG, and HDMI hook ups. (An S-Video input would be nice to, but not many consoles use this)
"Happy game hunting!!!"