Author Topic: What do you HATE about collecting?  (Read 9557 times)

matt

Re: What do you HATE about collecting?
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »
*sigh*  This post made me sad because I regretfully sold my mint Lunar 1, 2 and Arc the Lad Collections about 2 years ago. :(

foxhack

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:54 pm »
Packing tape.

Around here there's a couple of sellers that get some good PC games. The problem is, they always, ALWAYS close them up with packing tape, so I can't inspect the contents to see if anything is missing.

killerchameleon

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:18 am »
What I hate the most about my collection is that it makes me feel like a hoarder.  Wish I could make it disappear and reappear upon my request.  I guess not enough space is my only complaint.

scott

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:10 pm »
I HATE GameStop's new stickers. They never seem to peel off nicely, not like the older ones. And they are larger now too, which means even more sticker to peel off in the first place... fun.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »
@scott, I actually find that the Gamestop stickers are now easier to get off than the old smaller ones but since I'm in Canada maybe they are a different. I find that the Value Village/Savers tags are really hard to take off.

I don't really hate anything about collecting apart from the cost and having to store the items but I love it all the same.

soera

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:39 pm »
I think the thing I hate the most about collecting anymore is "collecting". It has went from driving around town looking for hidden game stores to get something you may have never heard of and your friends have never heard of ... to typing the name on some website and figuring out which price you are willing to pay.

Ebay pisses me off so much cause 98% of game shit isnt rare ... but when it really is rare, the damn thing costs as much as 6 months worth of car payments. I will give a second shout out to whoever mentioned the VGA grading. Just cause there is a name on there saying that the item is indeed sealed and putting whatever opinion they give about how good condition the item is in does not make the item cost 10 times what it should be.

ffxik

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:06 am »
I think the thing I hate the most about collecting anymore is "collecting". It has went from driving around town looking for hidden game stores to get something you may have never heard of and your friends have never heard of ... to typing the name on some website and figuring out which price you are willing to pay.

Ebay pisses me off so much cause 98% of game shit isnt rare ... but when it really is rare, the damn thing costs as much as 6 months worth of car payments. I will give a second shout out to whoever mentioned the VGA grading. Just cause there is a name on there saying that the item is indeed sealed and putting whatever opinion they give about how good condition the item is in does not make the item cost 10 times what it should be.

Tch.  The VGA grading system.  Yeah, I can see their adverts now.  "Wanna inflate your games value to idiotic proportions. You're in luck, we have no idea, but hey some moron will believe it."

I do not agree with it.  Much like someone touting GameFAQS as the holy grail of game knowledge.  It's no better than wiki.  The users make the content, mistakes are made.

jcalder8

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 12:52:30 am »
@soera, as much as Ebay prices may piss me off sometimes and the thought of someone who cares nothing about games getting to them before me so that he can just resell them online makes me angry, I'm still happy for what the internet has brought to my collection. I don't have any friends who are into games so the fact that I can come on to here and talk about them makes up for what the internet/Ebay has taken away from the process of collecting. Thanks to forums I have been able to pick up some really great games that I may have passed on otherwise or never heard of to even look for.

soera

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:44 am »
Oh I agree. I have gotten a lot of stuff from Ebay for my collection ... I just wish I could have gotten it from some skanky old video game store (with possibly a conversation with the sales dude). But it does help that I also have forums like this to chat and the group I meet up with once a month. :)

htimreimer

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17:41 am »

i know what you mean on ebay i have seen  a copy of super mario bros 3 with no box or manual go for 230 dollars not including shipping which is another 50 dollars
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:21:38 am by htimreimer »

madmax

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 05:11:33 pm »
People who list things as complete when there are thing missing. FFIII without the map and/or poster is NOT complete.

blipcs76

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
Most of my gripes have already been touched on.  I shake my head whenever I see an eBay listing for a *rare* copy of Top Gun on the NES or someone charging $10 for Jurassic Park on the Genesis.

I used to love Goodwill because you could clean up when you ran into games.  In the past they used to have them marked all the same price and reasonable, so you could find the occasional gem for a bargain.  I found Dragon Warrior III and Intelligent Qube at Goodwill at prices that made me grin from ear to ear.  Today they price every game the same, but they're way out of control.  I think the cheapest NES games at my local Goodwill stores are $3.99.  My guess is they're going to be sitting on that pile of Genesis sports titles and copies of SMB/Duck Hunt for a long time.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 04:55:04 pm »
What I hate with a burning furvent passion is EBAY.  I don't hate the site.  It's cool the stuff you can find on there.  I hate the fact that everyone that has a few games prices them vs. ebay.  If I go to a pawn shop looking for games, there is no chance I'm paying $12 for (insert random game).  Everyone thinks they have something special because its a 20 year old video game.  There's half a million in the world and you want to think Rush n' Attack is rare.

scott

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:09 pm »
I liked this one copy of Batman for NES, someone was listing it on ebay for $20 and calling it rare. It was cart only too, mind you.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 11:25:14 pm »
That is also my biggest complaint. There is a pawn store about 3 miles from the house that has tons of NES games. I just learned about it 2-3 weeks ago. I first walked in there and was like "Sweet, Im going to finally score something to brag about." Well, then I start looking at the games ... they are priced outrageous. I asked the guy whats up. He said he just looked on Ebay 2 days ago and priced everything. I used to be able to go into a pawn store and offer $3-5 a game without an issue. Now they are asking $30-$75 per "rare".