Author Topic: YLOD PS3  (Read 1913 times)

desocietas

YLOD PS3
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:39:13 pm »
$45 for a 60GB PlayStation 3 that's completely backwards compatible with PS2 games. Comes with power cord and Soul Calibur IV and Fallout 3.  YLOD and it doesn't turn on.

Worth it?  Wondering if I should take it to try to fix it.  Or what the trade value is at Gamestop for that model (if they take it at all).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

Re: YLOD PS3
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:24:55 pm »
If it was just the YLOD, Id say its not bad. But seeing as it doesnt turn on, its going to be a lot to get fixed. Sadly, the ps2 compatible systems are the ones that seem to be the most prone to all the issues.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:23 pm »
If it was just the YLOD, Id say its not bad. But seeing as it doesnt turn on, its going to be a lot to get fixed. Sadly, the ps2 compatible systems are the ones that seem to be the most prone to all the issues.

Good to know.  I might go ask the guys at my local GS tomorrow what the trade in is for that model + the games, in case I can come out with a profit.  Otherwise, sounds like it's not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the feedback!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:08:38 am »

With a YLoD, the system *won't* turn on.

It *might* beep, flash a red and/or yellow light...and power-off again, immediately.

Last I checked, Sony's going rate (for shipping + "refurbishing"/'fixing' that model was...~$100.00; I *think*  :-\

I have one of those & a slim -but- soera's absolutely right about the bigger/older models running hotter; thus = more YLoD's  :'(

The *best* run I've had with a launch model is ~2 years (with a lot of use).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:25 pm »
My original PS3 suffered from the YLOD, I just used the hairdryer trick on it and waited till GameStop had a trade in promo. They had originally offered my $75, but they were running a promotion where you got double the trade in value, so I got $150 for my broken system. I used it to buy a slim PS2 and some games since I already had the new superslim PS 3.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:54:09 am »
How does this "hairdryer" trick work?

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:32 pm »
Put the ps3 in a box, i just used the box it came with, Upside down with the rear vents facing the opening. Take a hairdryer on high heat and move it back and forth along the opening of the box about 3 inches away for about 15-30 minutes

The concept is that box holds the heat in and it gets just hot enough to reflow the solder. You want to make sure to let the unit fully cool down before you flip it back over and turn it on.

I had to do it twice, but the second time it stayed on long enough for the clerk at gamestop to check it out.

note: do this at your own risk. you can further damage the unit if you get it too hot. I didnt care cause I had already bought a new one and didnt have much to loose.

thomascozine

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:52:23 am »
I wouldn't pay more then $5-10 for a YLOD PS3. Regardless of the backwards compatibility. Unless you can get a permanent fix on the cheap it's either a brick or a trophy/display piece and should be priced as such.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:31 am »
Put the ps3 in a box, i just used the box it came with, Upside down with the rear vents facing the opening. Take a hairdryer on high heat and move it back and forth along the opening of the box about 3 inches away for about 15-30 minutes

The concept is that box holds the heat in and it gets just hot enough to reflow the solder. You want to make sure to let the unit fully cool down before you flip it back over and turn it on.

I had to do it twice, but the second time it stayed on long enough for the clerk at gamestop to check it out.

note: do this at your own risk. you can further damage the unit if you get it too hot. I didnt care cause I had already bought a new one and didnt have much to loose.

Thanks.

Both my fat, b/c & my slim are (currently; knock on wood) in good working order.

I'll keep this in mind for future reference, though...

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:55:28 am »

Thanks.

Both my fat, b/c & my slim are (currently; knock on wood) in good working order.

I'll keep this in mind for future reference, though...
Hoping this would never happen but hopefully this works when the time comes.  Also, going to inform my brother about this since his 80 GB YLed recently.

Thank you, justin8301!

Please check out the games I have for sale.