Author Topic: The Most Legendary Collector  (Read 4421 times)

sin2beta

The Most Legendary Collector
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:03 pm »
Is there a collector whose name you are kind of in awe of? Someone you are just completely envious of their knowledge? Someone that if you met, you would be a little starstruck? Now, I mean strictly on collector status. If there is a youtube guy that you think fits the bill in terms of collector, list them. If it's because you like their funny videos, list someone else. I'm talking collectors.

For me, it is Mike Etler. I used to walk around with his rarity guide and even tried to memorize it when I was a kid. It was his work and tsr's web page that defined a few years of my life. I used to collect Nintendo pretty seriously in the 90s and this site was something I read over and over. I consider Mike Etler one of the pioneers of game collecting and NES knowledge.

So, do you guys have anyone who you think beats Mike Etler? Anyone used to hangout on tsr's NES archive?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

Re: The Most Legendary Collector
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »
This is it: close the topic! ;D

Cheers!
Juan M. - Naicigam

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »
This is it: close the topic! ;D

Cheers!

I agree with this but I would also say when it comes to knowledge about Sega on this site, its sin2beta!  ;D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:12 am »
Nope.

I doubt that I'd even *recognize* the name of any other collectors (other then my friends here)!

I never "got" the whole "celebrity" thing...in ANY field and/or area.

I know some, I've met some (mostly in Rehabs:), Hell - I'm even friends with & in contact with some -and- none of them have ever struck me as anything other/different than anyone else that I'm friends with/have spent time with  :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »
Gamester81 on YouTube. If it's rare and collectible, and it has to do with video games, he has it. Especially when it comes to the rare hardware. This guy has stuff you've NEVER heard of.

I'm subscribed to his channel. It's always cool to see his hardware reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gamester81

Here's a tour video of his game room, but this isn't normally his type of video. He usually does hardware reviews and the occasional game review:

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:50:16 pm »
DreamTR on Nintendo Age.  He foresaw how NES collecting would blow up and from what I understand has owned almost all of the known Gold Nintendo World Championship carts at one point.  Has MANY 100% complete collections and I believe owns an arcade.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
One of the biggest collectors I know of has to be our very own The Flea. 
Dude has to be in the top 1% of all collectors out there.

Who's that dude that has been on the All Gen Gamers Podcast several times?  Gamester81 did a walkthrough of this dude's collection.  He has several full sets including NES, SNES, and Genesis.  I can't remember his name though.

*edit:  Dude's name is John Hancock.  Check out Gamester81's video with him on YouTube.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »

Who's that dude that has been on the All Gen Gamers Podcast several times?  Gamester81 did a walkthrough of this dude's collection.  He has several full sets including NES, SNES, and Genesis.  I can't remember his name though.

*edit:  Dude's name is John Hancock.  Check out Gamester81's video with him on YouTube.

Who is the flea???

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:02:40 pm »
Who is the flea???

He's a member of this forum.  If you want to give his collection a good look http://vgcollect.com/theflea

He has a video or some pictures or something in one of these threads.  Try the "Game Room Pics" thread.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:16:53 pm »

He's done a few different "rare games" videos with John Hancock. The guy seems to be a really likable guy, too, that would be a cool guy to hang out with.

I've always wondered if that's really his name or not, though.

soera

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:14:08 pm »
DreamTR on Nintendo Age.  He foresaw how NES collecting would blow up and from what I understand has owned almost all of the known Gold Nintendo World Championship carts at one point.  Has MANY 100% complete collections and I believe owns an arcade.

You are spot on about DreamTR. His name is Jason and he does own an arcade in TN as well as owned close to half of the Gold NWCs and probably a dozen or so of the grays as well. Not to mention he is one of the best known sources of prototypes anywhere. He was the person I was going to mention.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:36:15 am »
fingamer on youtbe has a lot. I don't know about repeats, he has a game room and his living room.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:58 pm »
Who is the flea???

He's a member of this forum.  If you want to give his collection a good look http://vgcollect.com/theflea

Is this "TheFlea" the same as SpaceFlea I've seen on other forums?

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

He's done a few different "rare games" videos with John Hancock. The guy seems to be a really likable guy, too, that would be a cool guy to hang out with.

I've always wondered if that's really his name or not, though.

John seems like an awesome guy for sure and his sega collections are amazing.  I bought his dvds a couple years back and they were excellent.  Watching them always helps me refocus my collection >:]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:21:36 pm by varkias »

darko

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
I've met a lot of the people that you guys have mentioned and I can say this - they ALL have amazing collections. I have a few that I respect more than others, but don't have specific links to many of them. While I totally get having a complete set - I've just come to the realization that I enjoy collections that have a lot of really, really nice items over volume. I know a gentleman with somewhere between 8K and 12K games at any given moment and I just really don't see myself going that far. Who knows, maybe I'll win $200 million and go nuts, but for me it's more about quality.