Author Topic: October 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 19143 times)

scott

Re: October 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
This is my biggie this month....  Nabbed it for 5 bucks around the corner at a yard sale....  There is a guy who has a yard sale LITERALLY every weekend and always has different stuff....  I don't know if he buys storage units or clears out evicted apartments or what, but I have gotten SOOOOO many steals off of him over the years....  It's nuts~!

http://vgcollect.com/item/4841

also, fail for double posting....

Gratz!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2013, 06:23:52 pm »
Just got my copy of Sonic Lost World (Deadly Six Edition). Hopefully the low scores for this is another case of reviewers being idiots, like it was for Wonderful 101. We'll see!

sin2beta

« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2013, 07:10:48 pm »
Just got my copy of Sonic Lost World (Deadly Six Edition). Hopefully the low scores for this is another case of reviewers being idiots, like it was for Wonderful 101. We'll see!

You'll have to report back. I'm interested if the game is really mediocre, or just doesn't meet the expectations people have of how sonic games play in their head. A lot of reviews I've seen compare it to an incorrect and nostalgic view of Sonic games. There seems to be a perception that you should just automatically breeze through a level. The original Sonic game stopped being the speed game by the second zone. That point on, speed was not the mechanic to complete a level. Speed became the reward for knowing the level. From what I've seen of gameplay, speed is definitely the reward and not the mechanic in Lost World.

I'm also curious if the game would have been reviewed the same if it was a brand new character and not Sonic. Thus, stopping all of the expectations of how the gameplay should be.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2013, 07:19:13 pm »
Killzone for PS2 came in today. Slightly disappointed, the outer artwork is pretty water damaged and the disc has some scratches in it. But for $5 I guess I can't complain too much. I'll likely replace it later on down the road.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »
Got my Sega CD from Kingrat!! Looks good! I will swap it with my current one and see how it works soon.

Also picked up Alex Kidd in Miracle World. And from eBay picked up a Dreamcast Scart cable. I would like to do VGA to HDMI. But that's too rich for my blood at the moment.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jobocan

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2013, 10:41:01 pm »
You'll have to report back. I'm interested if the game is really mediocre, or just doesn't meet the expectations people have of how sonic games play in their head. A lot of reviews I've seen compare it to an incorrect and nostalgic view of Sonic games. There seems to be a perception that you should just automatically breeze through a level. The original Sonic game stopped being the speed game by the second zone. That point on, speed was not the mechanic to complete a level. Speed became the reward for knowing the level. From what I've seen of gameplay, speed is definitely the reward and not the mechanic in Lost World.

Well I only played through the first 2 worlds so far (the Windy Hill Zone and the Desert Zone). I can't give you a full review or anything, but I can tell you that I really like it so far.

The gameplay is fast (not as much as Generations, but the level design isn't fully about speed like Generations was), but it's not easy. Unless you're really good, you'll have to slow down (so kinda like how you were explaining the original game), or you can very easily die. The game clearly has lots of paths through each level, some really obvious, some a bit hidden (some I couldn't find through multiple plays through some levels), and some containing different things (some hide red rings, others have challenges for extra lives). There's a lot of exploration, but a lot of the areas have segments that really require skill to get through.

The gameplay is very different from previous Sonic games (and, despite the stupidity of many reviewers, is nothing at all like Mario Galaxy), but it does feel a lot like what you'd expect from a good Sonic game. The controls are really odd at first but playing a couple levels will get you used to it (the "hold a button to run" thing feels odd). Not a fan of the wisps though, but I hated Colors, and the Wisps were the only thing I didn't like in Generatons, so this is no surprise.

So far I'd say the negative reviews come from reviewers who didn't want to adapt to this new gameplay style, and instead decided to bash it for stupid reasons instead of giving a proper review (which makes sense considering "professional" game reviewers have long been notoriously bad at games). This seems to be like all those stupid W101 reviews where the reviewers didn't want to learn how to play so they gave up after a level or 2 and gave it a bad score for illegitimate reasons (and the video portions of these reviews kinda prove that, clearly they were unable to play the game at all).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:40 am »
Yeah...

So, yesterday - I decided to do some burning-up of GS gift-cards that I got for my B-Day.

Not sure if all GS' have it -but- mine is now selling (and buying, I guess) Blu-rays as well as everything else.

*Thinks that "GamePawn" is becoming more accurate than "GameStop" -but-; I digress:)*

Anywho - they were all B2G2 -and- I left w/ 4 (including a "Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike" 110 min, (2) Disc Blu-ray + DVD-Combo); that I didn't even know existed.

Also, picked up (sealed) copies of Beyond Two Souls (PS3) & "Pokemon X" (for the 3DS).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

haloofthesun

« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »
Picked up Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate on 3DS.

foxhack

« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:39 pm »
Yeah...

So, yesterday - I decided to do some burning-up of GS gift-cards that I got for my B-Day.

Not sure if all GS' have it -but- mine is now selling (and buying, I guess) Blu-rays as well as everything else.

*Thinks that "GamePawn" is becoming more accurate than "GameStop" -but-; I digress:)*

Anywho - they were all B2G2 -and- I left w/ 4 (including a "Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike" 110 min, (2) Disc Blu-ray + DVD-Combo); that I didn't even know existed.

Also, picked up (sealed) copies of Beyond Two Souls (PS3) & "Pokemon X" (for the 3DS).
Gamestop used to sell DVDs a few years ago. I picked up a bunch of cheap horror stuff back then. Seems weird that they'd get back into that business...

desocietas

« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Yeah...

Gamestop used to sell DVDs a few years ago. I picked up a bunch of cheap horror stuff back then. Seems weird that they'd get back into that business...

I still see UMD films at my GS... Not sure they'll ever get rid of 'em.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2013, 02:53:26 pm »
I still see UMD films at my GS... Not sure they'll ever get rid of 'em.
Well they're PSP-specific items, so.

I guess they'll get rid of them when they toss all their PSP games in a few years.

spac316

« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »
My recent pick ups over the course of October...
WWF Superstars 2 for Game Boy, Pro Wrestling and Kung Fu Kid for Master System, Dig Dug 2 for NES, Mario's Fun with Letters for SNES, Bonanza Brothers for Genesis and Rumble Roses for PS2!
Also, Game & Wario, Batman Arkham City Armored and Pikmin 3 for Wii U.

Then I just bought WWE 2K14 for XBox 360.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2013, 03:17:30 pm »
Yeah...

Yeah - a looong time ago...all of our local GS stores bought & sold CD's & DVD's along w/ all of the gaming stuff.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »
This is my biggie this month....  Nabbed it for 5 bucks around the corner at a yard sale....  There is a guy who has a yard sale LITERALLY every weekend and always has different stuff....  I don't know if he buys storage units or clears out evicted apartments or what, but I have gotten SOOOOO many steals off of him over the years....  It's nuts~!

http://vgcollect.com/item/4841

also, fail for double posting....

Man you were not kidding in the save your change thread when you said you had an awesome yard sale guy.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

desocietas

« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »
Yeah - a looong time ago...all of our local GS stores bought & sold CD's & DVD's along w/ all of the gaming stuff.

Man, that gave me a flashback of Electronics Boutique...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas