Author Topic: Variants??  (Read 1325 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Variants??
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:15 am »
How much do we care about variants?  I'm afraid I'm slipping down that path.  I'm not searching them out, but if I have a 3-Screw and a 5-Screw NES cart I keep them both.  Same goes for the oval and circle seals.  This could get ugly. 

In related news: I found a 5-Screw Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! yesterday.  I don't know anything about it, but I hear that ones rare.

scott

Re: Variants??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
I nearly got sucked into the Variant monster's lair when hunting down my Castlevania stuff. I do have a few variants in the collection, but decided it wasn't worth it looking for CIB versions of them. Though I wouldn't mind having a CIB cardboard box Castlevania: Bloodlines. Pretty much the only game I get "variant" copies of now are the Pokemon games... 'cause "you gotta catch 'em all"!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:49 pm »
I keep variants if I happen to have them, but I don't actively search them out. I'm not that picky when it comes to games really.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:19 pm »
Unless you're a seller, I think it's a little silly for things as small as extra scews, or an oval vs. a circle. The game content and artwork is still exactly the same. Why do you really need 2 copies of the same game, on the same system, with nothing changed in the gameplay?

For me, that's just extra money being spent on something I already have, when I could have spent it on a game I don't have or something else.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:22 pm »
Unless you're a seller, I think it's a little silly for things as small as extra scews, or an oval vs. a circle. The game content and artwork is still exactly the same. Why do you really need 2 copies of the same game, on the same system, with nothing changed in the gameplay?

For me, that's just extra money being spent on something I already have, when I could have spent it on a game I don't have or something else.

This.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

haloofthesun

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:23:24 pm »

This.

Yep. I understand it for people wanting a complete library. If you're wanting every NES game ever made, then yeah, might as well go for variants too. Personally, I see no point in it. That doesn't make it an invalid endeavor though for collectors that wish to pursue them. Whatever floats your boat~

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:36 pm »
I'll tell ya what brought this on.  It's hard to find games I don't have in the wild.  When I do, it's not anything to get excited over.  I find good games pretty regular, but I don't have a reason to get excited about Zelda or SMB.  These different variants give me that excitment of finding something new even if I didn't.  Does that make sense at all?

scott

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
Ya I get it. It's like when I was looking for a Gyromite w/ the adapter. I already had the game w/o it, but when I finally found one I was super excited about it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 03:13:49 pm »
That's my new goal: Finding all the games with an adapter.  I'm not going to shop for it on ebay, but it will give me something to look for.  I think there are 20 or so.  I have 3, and I'll never find Punch-Out!! with one.  So, 16 fairly common games isn't too big of a goal.  It might be fun.  I might lose lose interest.  We'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:18:47 pm by turf »

darko

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
That's my new goal: Finding all the games with an adapter.  I'm not going to shop for it on ebay, but it will give me something to look for.  I think there are 20 or so.  I have 3, and I'll never find Punch-Out!! with one.  So, 16 fairly common games isn't too big of a goal.  It might be fun.  I might lose lose interest.  We'll have to wait and see.

Stack Up FTW!!!

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:37:07 am »
I don't care about variants much. But there are a few games, that if I run across them, I would like. Specifically, Night Trap. It's a weird choice. But I find the game interesting. And most of the variants have to do with the rating. That's cool to me. Some variants have a neat story.

I also, love the Sonic the Hedgehog Canada variant.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 12:38:42 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c