Author Topic: PSP??  (Read 3664 times)

90snostalga

PSP??
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »
This may sound crazy, but I have never played a PSP, or even honestly, know much about it until a few months ago.  I don't think I know a single person who has one or that has even talked about one.  Would anyone suggest me getting a PSP and if so, what games?

scott

Re: PSP??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »
The PSP is actually a really nice little handheld. At first glance the library seems kinda 'meh' but there are tons of hidden gems in there. But the battery life is kinda weak and if it sits unused for awhile you'll find it's battery dead just from sitting there. Also if you do get a PSP I highly recommend the 2nd model.

The Patapon games are really good. And there is a pretty good wealth of RPGs on there too. And if you're into Castlevania, you need to pick up Dracula X Chronicles.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

brunauss

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:09 am »
Has a massive modding community as well. Type in PSP Homebrew in Google and see what comes up for yourself :-)
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:26:57 am »
Also (some) of the PSP's allow you to output its video to a TV screen...A Big + in my book.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:38:46 am »
Like Scott said there are some great hidden RPGs....  Trails in the Sky, Legend of Heroes, Persona, etc....  A JRPG fan must have one....

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:34 am »
hotshots golf (everybodys gold in uk)
WIPEOUT
Tekken
and there is a lot of JRPG's final fantasy persona and the like.
Patapon
R-type

i love my PSP. not very good for fps thou. lack of second stick.
i take mine everywhere with me

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:41:20 am »
also if you downgrade the software it makes a great little emulator for the classics on the go.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:04:39 pm »
It's high on my wishlist as well. Especially since the games are going for dirt cheap right now. Good time to get on that collecting train. But unfortunately, the hardware still seems a bit pricey for it's age considering the PS Vita has been out a while, now.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:25:44 pm »
It's high on my wishlist as well. Especially since the games are going for dirt cheap right now. Good time to get on that collecting train. But unfortunately, the hardware still seems a bit pricey for it's age considering the PS Vita has been out a while, now.

Yea I was looking at the psp's on ebay and see that they are heavily priced.  I would have to save up for one.

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 01:27:11 pm »
Also (some) of the PSP's allow you to output its video to a TV screen...A Big + in my book.

I can play it on my actually television!  That's  a game winner for me!  Just got to save for one.  I'm still trying to find a gameboy play disc for my game boy player.  Finding one of those is like 1 in a million

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »
It's an absolutely amazing handheld... IF you like Japanese RPGs and strategy RPGs. The thumbstick can be kind of irritating sometimes, but beyond that, it's a solid, comfortable piece of hardware with a pretty nice screen.

Having said that, the Vita is vastly superior in every way, so if you're not married to the idea of buying physical releases (many of which are getting $$$), the games will look considerably better on its OLED screen and be a little bit more comfortable to play.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:31 am »
It's an absolutely amazing handheld... IF you like Japanese RPGs and strategy RPGs. The thumbstick can be kind of irritating sometimes, but beyond that, it's a solid, comfortable piece of hardware with a pretty nice screen.

Having said that, the Vita is vastly superior in every way, so if you're not married to the idea of buying physical releases (many of which are getting $$$), the games will look considerably better on its OLED screen and be a little bit more comfortable to play.

Don't most Vita games also get physical releases, Erik?

Also (as you know) - I'm a *VERY* new member to the "Vita-Owner's Club" - Do you know/can you tell me anything about this "Vita TV"?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:29:33 am »
I believe he means that using a Vita means having to buy PSP games digitally, and forgoing physical releases. But who would want to do that?  :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

brunauss

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
I believe he means that using a Vita means having to buy PSP games digitally, and forgoing physical releases. But who would want to do that?  :P

One of my main reasons for sticking with PSP. Sony has yet to demonstrate an acceptable migration system for PSP owners. Its simple really, if they create one that utilizes the Sony IDs. Why purchase it again with nothing additional to gain?
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 02:09:00 am »
There is also a lot of great classic shoot em up compilations on it too. Parodius, Gradius and Salamander just to name a few. They can get kind of pricey since they were Japanese exclusives but still awesome.
I think it's a neat handheld unfortunately mine doesn't get used too often as I generally don't collect a lot for handhelds and I'm not the biggest RPG fan either.