Author Topic: And then NES prices went up  (Read 3301 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

And then NES prices went up
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:54:46 pm »
Found this on the front page of MSN a minute ago.  Prices are about to go up... again

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/10-pieces-of-nostalgia-that-are-secretly-valuable#2

Re: And then NES prices went up
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:03:41 pm »
. . . .shit

What irritates me the most is how Pat the NES Punk contributed to this article when he is always complaining about overpriced games and price gouging. Hypocrite or idiot, I am not sure, but that's all the collecting scene needs is more overpriced games *rolls eyes*

I remember after that moron on Storage Wars said the NES model 101 was worth like 10g, a ton of people started posting NES consoles, some in horrible condition for thousands of dollars on Ebay and Craigslist.

I will be so, so ,so happy when retro game collecting dies. Not that it is any indication that is it going to happen soon, but I know three collectors personally that have stopped collecting, or at least stopped collecting vintage Nintendo in the past 6-months. It is getting ridiculous and I agree, it is about to get even more pricy because of this stupid misleading article :/

anruiukimi

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:08:11 pm »
Man, I was just looking at boxed Nintendos, too...time to get one in the next days just in case people actually read this.  :-\

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »
I dunno whats worse, Hollywood gutting our beloved childhood memories... or this shit.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 05:40:53 pm »
meh there's little articles posted like this all the time.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »
It's not as much the article. It's the fact that thousands of people will see it on MSN's front page.

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:16:32 pm »
. . . .shit

What irritates me the most is how Pat the NES Punk contributed to this article when he is always complaining about overpriced games and price gouging. Hypocrite or idiot, I am not sure, but that's all the collecting scene needs is more overpriced games *rolls eyes*

I remember after that moron on Storage Wars said the NES model 101 was worth like 10g, a ton of people started posting NES consoles, some in horrible condition for thousands of dollars on Ebay and Craigslist.

I will be so, so ,so happy when retro game collecting dies. Not that it is any indication that is it going to happen soon, but I know three collectors personally that have stopped collecting, or at least stopped collecting vintage Nintendo in the past 6-months. It is getting ridiculous and I agree, it is about to get even more pricy because of this stupid misleading article :/

I'd be surprised if Pat actually contributed to this. Most of the time when stuff like this gets published, they just pull quotes the person previously said. This happens to the lost levels people all the time. I suspect this especially due to the paragraph below:

Contri was once offered $35,000 for pair of super-rare Nintendo cartridges, but didn't take the bait. Why? Just this month, GameInformer.com reported that an auction on eBay for the gray version of the cartridge alone—an inferior copy to Contri’s—reached a final bid of $99,902. Woah. (Video games can make you better at life. Here are four reasons you should be spending more time playing them.)

Having done some work on various "news" sites. That paragraph screams "I did a quick search on the NWC cart to add the effect that I did some investigation and legwork. But in reality, I clicked a few links from an earlier published story about an ebay auction" What does the $35,000 amount have to do with the ebay prices? Nothing. It's there to provide an illusion that the story is fleshed out. Also notice that the excerpt "reached a final bid of $99,902" is completely accurate but intentionally misleading as it did not sell for that amount. (The $35,000 is an interesting number in it's own right. See Pawn Stars).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

soera

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:14 pm »
That copy of NWC that "sold" for $99k is still available. Almost every bid backed out once he started going down the list and sending second chance offers.

I also watched the episode of Pawn stars where Pat's dumbass was on there with the 2 NWC carts. He knew he wouldnt sell them. He just wanted to some recognition on TV. That happened to be the last episode of Pawn stars I watched cause I knew the shit was staged.

As far as the original post goes, Im pretty much done with retro collecting soon. I'll be glad to be done too. Prices are stupid and now the entire planet has caught on which brings out all the fraud artists. There are probably 5-6 different threads on NA right now all about a different fradulent game being up on Ebay right now.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:05 pm »
I'm good, I'm down to the last hundred or so anyways.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 08:32:44 pm »
I'll be honest, I like Pat. But I also have found myself strongly disliking the Nintendo/SEGA Age community. So, there may just be two different types of people. Who knows.

I'm not even close to being done with Retro collecting. MY SEGA collection could go on forever. But, I could also easily see myself building an Atari, Neo Geo, or Bally/Midway collection. (I've come to realize I'm more of an arcade manufacturer fan than a console fan. But then again my gaming skills come straight from the streets.  8) ).
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 01:55:58 am »
I'm good, I'm down to the last hundred or so anyways.

This.

Between PS1, N64, SNES, NES, Genesis, and Saturn I am about the same amount away from being done with retro collecting, and good thing too. If I had started retro collecting now, I would have quickly got discouraged and stuck to biking lol. At least when I started in 2009ish I could find most of the games I wanted for a fair amount, none of this $20 for Mario/Duck Hunt BS I see every weekend.

Most of my frustration comes from how many people who recently started collecting are either going to have to be extremely lucky or rich to get into the hobby, and it should not be that way. Also, seeing how retro gaming has become more about money than the games themselves definitely has stripped this hobby of its innocence and much of its enjoyment as well. I hate having to compete with dozens of resellers for games, and even store employees who love to take all the valuable games for themselves. I missed when very few people were doing it and things were not so insane :/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:12:57 am by bikingjahuty »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 02:13:28 pm »
Most of my frustration comes from how many people who recently started collecting are either going to have to be extremely lucky or rich to get into the hobby, and it should not be that way. Also, seeing how retro gaming has become more about money than the games themselves definitely has stripped this hobby of its innocence and much of its enjoyment as well. I hate having to compete with dozens of resellers for games, and even store employees who love to take all the valuable games for themselves. I missed when very few people were doing it and things were not so insane :/

I second bikingjahuty.

I remember a documentary, if I remember correctly it's "With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story," stating that at the 60s(?), people collected comic books as stocks.  I guess history will repeat with video games?

Don't remember if I posted this on VGCollect, but it feels like deja vu.  I apologize for posting repeats, if I have been.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
You guys are making me feel bad for considering buying a Turbo Duo system online  :(  I really want tho' to play games on it.

anruiukimi

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »
You guys are making me feel bad for considering buying a Turbo Duo system online  :(  I really want tho' to play games on it.

Eh, buy what you want. :) The market decides, and the long time fans weather the rush until it calms down. I've seen it in multiple collecting groups over the years, and it's not going to go away. Yep, it stinks that prices are inflated right now, but I do think it will eventually fizzle out a bit.

soera

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:09:47 pm »
Yeah dont ever feel bad for wanting something. I want another Turbo Duo too. (The original one I had was the best trade I have ever made. I got the Duo and my friend got the Tool Sober CD)