Author Topic: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation  (Read 7735 times)

90snostalga

Re: In Honor of the 7th Console Generation
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 11:09:19 am »
I would argue that the PS3's exclusives have been incredibly strong, but then again it all depends on what you're looking for.  If you're just interested in shooters then no, probably not.  Around 1/3 of my PS3 library is exclusives, and that's not counting HD collections or marginally improved ports like Star Ocean.

Agree 100%

I like the 360 better, so all of my multiplatform stuff is for that.

This made me update my wish list on multiplaform games...

soera

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:10 am »
Have you played Super Mario 3D World?  It's fantastic.

It's fun and I'm greatly enjoying it, but it's just too much the same stuff they were doing with the new super mario bros, it's nothing in the same vein as Super Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy.  It's essentially just a 2D game that happens to be 3D, rather than being a 3D game that really benefits from it.  I want to see Mario have a big adventure like he use to and really utilizing the hardware with some epic worlds, new and interesting bosses, and a proper hub world since they abandoned that with Super Mario Galaxy.  I just want to see Super Mario 64, but doubled or tripled in size lol

I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I think Super Mario 3D Land and World are exactly what Super Mario Bros. in 3D should have always been. It feels like you're exploring the mushroom kingdom from the days of the Super Mario Bros. series, in 3D. I love it!

It's not bad, but it's a diversion away from the natural progression of Mario games as we knew them. I absolutely loved 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, and thought they were some of the best 3D platform adventure games ever. Super Mario 3D Land / Word is not that kind of game. In an era where nonlinear 3D platforming is nearly dead, I'm hoping the Mario franchise hasn't also abandon it. I'm really not sure what point "New" Super Mario Bros serves now, it's become redundant.

Aside from this, the 3D Land / World games are incredibly short and small, and easy. You can beat the whole game in an hour, okay maybe two. Nintendo doesn't care anymore, they're like anybody else, they are just waiting to release DLC that they should have included in the game. These games are okay, but in my opinion the Mario franchise has been wrecked and I'm thoroughly disappointed.

So short = bad? There's a whole lot of short games out there I adore.

Greatest game ever made is Super Metroid (that's science!), and it's around 2 hours long.

If you are beating Super Metroid in 2 hours, you are not giving the entire map a full run. You should be able to put in a lot more than 2 hours on it. But it is definitely one of the greatest games ever made, no doubt about it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 12:42:44 pm »
Have you played Super Mario 3D World?  It's fantastic.

It's fun and I'm greatly enjoying it, but it's just too much the same stuff they were doing with the new super mario bros, it's nothing in the same vein as Super Mario 64, Sunshine or Galaxy.  It's essentially just a 2D game that happens to be 3D, rather than being a 3D game that really benefits from it.  I want to see Mario have a big adventure like he use to and really utilizing the hardware with some epic worlds, new and interesting bosses, and a proper hub world since they abandoned that with Super Mario Galaxy.  I just want to see Super Mario 64, but doubled or tripled in size lol

I'm of the complete opposite opinion. I think Super Mario 3D Land and World are exactly what Super Mario Bros. in 3D should have always been. It feels like you're exploring the mushroom kingdom from the days of the Super Mario Bros. series, in 3D. I love it!

It's not bad, but it's a diversion away from the natural progression of Mario games as we knew them. I absolutely loved 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, and thought they were some of the best 3D platform adventure games ever. Super Mario 3D Land / Word is not that kind of game. In an era where nonlinear 3D platforming is nearly dead, I'm hoping the Mario franchise hasn't also abandon it. I'm really not sure what point "New" Super Mario Bros serves now, it's become redundant.

Aside from this, the 3D Land / World games are incredibly short and small, and easy. You can beat the whole game in an hour, okay maybe two. Nintendo doesn't care anymore, they're like anybody else, they are just waiting to release DLC that they should have included in the game. These games are okay, but in my opinion the Mario franchise has been wrecked and I'm thoroughly disappointed.

So short = bad? There's a whole lot of short games out there I adore.

Greatest game ever made is Super Metroid (that's science!), and it's around 2 hours long.

If you are beating Super Metroid in 2 hours, you are not giving the entire map a full run. You should be able to put in a lot more than 2 hours on it. But it is definitely one of the greatest games ever made, no doubt about it.

Not the first time, for sure. But once you know where things are at and how to approach bosses, it gets a lot faster.

Even the first time around, though. It wasn't like some long RPG, or open-world GTA length game.

sin2beta

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2014, 01:00:07 pm »
Some games are really good and should be short. Their just different. Short narrative games are usually not the best. Some notable exceptions such as Gone Home come to mind. But some games are really good due to their shortness. I'm not a big iOS game player, but JetPack Joyride is delightful and lasts a matter of minutes. Bigger console releases are Lollipop Chainsaw, which is one of my favorites this generation.

One of my all time favorite games is Comix Zone, it is approximately 45 minutes long. There is no backtracking, you can not extend the playtime much without just standing around. It's fantastic!

I think the crux of the argument relies on the fact that gaming, in general has changed. The release of the XBox and PS2 marked an intense movement to narrative based gameplay. This narrative existed before, but was rare outside of RPGs. But, just compare the cinematic nature between FPS games. Halo is a cinematic game. For comparison, look at the king of Console FPS before, GoldenEye. Hell, even compared to Marathon Halo is a movie. Marathon kept all of the story in text found on consoles.

This move to a cinematic narrative has created an impression that length equals quality.

Although I think this is just half of it. The Playstation craze created a RPG craze. I remember a time when playtime was advertised along side the game. Sad times.

But some games are meant to be replayed. If Mario 3D World is a 2-hour 1-play-through experience, then it is a bad deal for $60 to me. For some people, that's what the game is. But for some people, Mario 3D World is a 60+ hour game. Comix Zone for me, is a 100+ hour game... even though it takes 45 minutes to beat. Hell StarCraft's playtime for me may be measured in the months. But this time certainly does not include the single player campaign.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2014, 01:07:54 pm »
That's like Team Fortress 2 for me. It's only usually played in 30 min bursts, or maybe longer. But I've got over 100 hours into it, other have possibly thousand + hours into it. I can beat Castlevania in about 45 mins or better usually, but it's like Sin2Beta said about Comix Zone, it's easily a 100 hour game for me, due to replayability.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread