Author Topic: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?  (Read 15327 times)

dreama1

Re: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:05 am »
If you collect useless crap that you will never touch that's worthless it's hoarding to me. I don't see the point I collect to play, wouldn't dare buy a game that shuffleware.

90snostalga

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:53 am »
I am a collector to play.  In rare circumstances, I will get something just for memory purposes or franchise love, but 90 percent is me wanted to play.   Example would be, I don't ever plan to play Pokemon Collosium for the Gamecube; however, I love Pokemon and I try to collect all Pokemon games officialy released.  The only one's I really want to play are all the handheld releases and Pokemon Snap.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:58 pm »
If you collect useless crap that you will never touch that's worthless it's hoarding to me. I don't see the point I collect to play, wouldn't dare buy a game that shuffleware.

That's fine...you can do whatever you like  ;D

However, a lot of us don't buy games to "hoard" them -but- instead, to either use as gifts, to resell, and/or to use as trade material, etc...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
My Master System Converter and quest for a working Sega CDX are irrational desires since I really don't have any "must have" games in my wish list for those systems.

Ill take that converter off your hands then! Ive been looking for one for months but the prices are absurd.

Really? Wow, I'm glad I bought mine when I did. They used to be dirt-freaking cheap. I got my Sega Power Base Converter for the Genesis for $25, and my Master Converter for Game Gear for $10.

I don't have an actual Master System, though, which I'd love to have because their handsome as fuck.

soera

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:40 pm »
I will admit that some of my collection is indeed shovelware. I personally find 95% of the entire NES library to be totally garbage but I have 715 titles right now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting specifically to collect. How many people collect stamps just to use them on letters? Collect coins just to spend them? But unlike most collectors, I dont do it for value. I really do like owning the items and the way my game room flows as one fluid motion cause of all the pieces I have.

soera

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »
My Master System Converter and quest for a working Sega CDX are irrational desires since I really don't have any "must have" games in my wish list for those systems.

Ill take that converter off your hands then! Ive been looking for one for months but the prices are absurd.

Really? Wow, I'm glad I bought mine when I did. They used to be dirt-freaking cheap. I got my Sega Power Base Converter for the Genesis for $25, and my Master Converter for Game Gear for $10.

I don't have an actual Master System, though, which I'd love to have because their handsome as fuck.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=power+base+converter&_osacat=1249&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0&_nkw=power+base+converter&_sacat=1249

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »
I don't have any problem with people who collect the good stuff just to have the good stuff. But I think completionists are kind of wacky. I agree, no one should waste their time collecting shovelware, sports titles, kiddy games, and licensed cash-cow IP crap just to say they've got every game for a console. It's really not impressive when people have all that junk cluttering up their games with the good ones crammed few and far in between them.

Also, I disagree that the NES has a lot of shovelware. It has a lot of sub-par games, but it's not shovelware by today's standards of what shovelware is. I love NES, and also love the endless obscure wanna be titles on it. I don't find most of them to be bad. In general, I'm not a tough critic. I think the NES library is unique and awesome in it's own kinda way.

soera

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »
I know my opinion on the % of NES shovelware is definitely not shared with a lot of people. I am, as most people will attest to on here, a tough critic though and thats why I stick with my percentage.

I will tend to agree that completionists are wacky but I tend to fit in that a little. Now Im not one of those 110% completionists who care about stuff like matching sleeves, ad inserts, styrofoam, etc. I dont get into variations either. I think they are wacky too. But thats the amazing part of the gaming community. There is room for all the wacky people including me!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:24 pm »
I know my opinion on the % of NES shovelware is definitely not shared with a lot of people. I am, as most people will attest to on here, a tough critic though and thats why I stick with my percentage.

I will tend to agree that completionists are wacky but I tend to fit in that a little. Now Im not one of those 110% completionists who care about stuff like matching sleeves, ad inserts, styrofoam, etc. I dont get into variations either. I think they are wacky too. But thats the amazing part of the gaming community. There is room for all the wacky people including me!

You only think 5% of the games are good?  Let's see... 709 games got the Nintendo Seal of Quality(Licensed).  113 Didn't (Unlicensed)

If you only include the licensed games 709 x .05= 35.45 games

If you include the unlicensed (which is mostly trash) [709+113] x .05= 41.1 games

You could easily come up with 40 games on the NES that are good. 

scott

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 01:41:02 pm »
Collect to Play, and maybe a touch of Collect to Collect. I generally want to play everything that I buy, but it tends to sit on the shelf for a while before I get around to it. But things like Castlevania/Atlus/PS2 games I collect to collect/play.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dreama1

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »

You only think 5% of the games are good?  Let's see... 709 games got the Nintendo Seal of Quality(Licensed).  113 Didn't (Unlicensed)

If you only include the licensed games 709 x .05= 35.45 games

If you include the unlicensed (which is mostly trash) [709+113] x .05= 41.1 games

You could easily come up with 40 games on the NES that are good.
It's not saying much, i'm not complaining but it's kept the avgn in business. You would be hard pressed to find 40 games you would play. The NES is definitely the worst offender when it comes to crap games. I can't really think of that many great games that I would even play today other than contra, mega man, castlevania, kirby, little samson and metriod.

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »
I'm both :D

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »
It's not saying much, i'm not complaining but it's kept the avgn in business. You would be hard pressed to find 40 games you would play. The NES is definitely the worst offender when it comes to crap games. I can't really think of that many great games that I would even play today other than contra, mega man, castlevania, kirby, little samson and metriod.

Don't get me wrong.  There is a pile of shit on the NES, but it's smaller than 95% of the pie.  You also can't call games that are just old "garbage".  There are bad games and then there are outdated games.  I don't think anyone can honestly say the Call of Duty or Halo games are bad games.  It may not be their type of game, but it's still a solid game.  In 25 years, the huge games of today will look awful and have zero lasting appeal.  Same goes for the NES.  The best games are still fun, but that just shows how good the gameplay is.  It can outlast time.

*If that didn't make sense: Only great games outlast technology.  Just because a game is shit now, doesn't mean it was shit when it was new.

soera

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »
****The following statement is my own personal opinion ... do not be offended if I left off that title that you think is the most amazing thing since Brittany Murphy****

These are the games I find worth actually owning on the NES (value of game does not compute when worth owning is being discussed):
1943, Athena, Battle of Olympus, Blaster master, Castlevania II, Chubby cherub, Clash at Demonhead, Contra, Destiny of an Emperor, Dragon warrior I-IV, Faria, Flying Dragon, Gargoyle's quest, Gauntlet, Goonies, Guardian Legend, Karnov, Kid Icarus, Kid Niki, Legend of Zelda, MUSCLE, Magic of Scheherazade, Mega man, Metroid, Mike Tyson's Punch out, Pac man, Power blade, Pro Wrestling, RC Pro-am, Rygar, Section Z, SMB 3, Tetris, Trojan, Ultima : Quest of the Avatar, Willow, and Wizards and Warriors.

Holy crap ... thats exactly 40 games. I did leave off a few titles I consider iffy. Final fantasy during its actual NES days was cool but with the "fixes" that occured on the GBA/PS1 version of the game, the NES version is very limited now and unplayable since. Swords and serpents is something I did enjoy when I first played but now its just not really enjoyable with its lack of almost anything visible.

soera

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »
Heh I think Turf and I kind of said the same thing at the end of our posts.