Author Topic: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?  (Read 15065 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Will PS2's standard games become expensive in 20 years like the NES?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 01:27:37 am »
Most PS2's are already 10+ years old in another 20 they'll be 30 and over. A lot of the optical pickups will inevitably fail within that time. I doubt there's gonna be many if any companies making replacement laser's for 30+ year old systems. So it's not gonna be like the second and third gen consoles where they'll be a ton of units still functioning at 30 years of age. This should surely help even out the demand for PS2 media.
You think the PS1's prices will go crazy in the next 3 years? My counter point would be if it was the cartridge based systems that were driving the prices, and that the same conditions couldn't be met with a disc based system. Will ps2 discs even work in 10 years? The disc as good storage has never been tested.
I have CD's released as early as 83 that still work just fine.

Same here. And I've listened to Pyromania and Ride the Lightning, A LOT.

theflea

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:39 am »
Disk-based games are also not as durable as cartridges.

This 110%. I know everyone says that the last 4-5 generations of games have been mass produced but simply put, a lot of them are not going to survive. Some of the ugliest fucking cartridges that look like they were unearthed from 20 years in a burial plot still play like they are brand new. These disk games can not do that. Im waiting to see what the game collector crowd is like when we are on the PS8.

This is a good point, Disc based games could go up if less and less can be found that are not scratched the hell up.
Do you know how many times I pass on PS1, PS2, Xbox and GC games due to they look like freddy Kruger took his claws to them? While some can be resurfaced (personally I pass on these to) it could make CD games in mint shape be more in demand.

Speaking of being unearthed, any one hear that people got permission to dig in New Mexico to try and find the legendary ET dump site? lol
I have a feeling people are going to be disappointed in what they find. :P 
"Happy game hunting!!!"

scott

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:55 am »
Lots of diapers.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 09:33:55 am »

This 110%. I know everyone says that the last 4-5 generations of games have been mass produced but simply put, a lot of them are not going to survive. Some of the ugliest fucking cartridges that look like they were unearthed from 20 years in a burial plot still play like they are brand new. These disk games can not do that. Im waiting to see what the game collector crowd is like when we are on the PS8.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.  A collector may pass on a beat-up cart because he wants one that looks pretty, but everyone will be passing on these trashed disks because they simply will not play.

And I expect the ET cart dig to be very similar to this (for those as old as I am...):

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dreama1

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 11:26:04 am »

theflea

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »
ya know I thought about making an Al Capone Vault joke, but I thought no one would get it. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

argyle

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 03:06:36 pm »
ya know I thought about making an Al Capone Vault joke, but I thought no one would get it. lol

I remember watching it live & being very disappointed.  ;)
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

pacpix

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.  A collector may pass on a beat-up cart because he wants one that looks pretty, but everyone will be passing on these trashed disks because they simply will not play.

And I expect the ET cart dig to be very similar to this (for those as old as I am...):

Al Capone's vault may have been disappointing, but what was in the glove compartment of his car was shocking!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 06:28:13 pm »
I dunno, I've popped some really, really rough discs into my consoles before just for curiosity, and they work perfectly. I'm talking discs so scratched you can't see your reflection in them anymore. Then, I'll put a disc in that looks near perfect, and won't work worth crap.

dreama1

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
I dunno, I've popped some really, really rough discs into my consoles before just for curiosity, and they work perfectly. I'm talking discs so scratched you can't see your reflection in them anymore. Then, I'll put a disc in that looks near perfect, and won't work worth crap.
I don't really mean if the disc is scratched or in shitty condition. The theory goes that discs naturally start to deteriorate after 30 years+

argyle

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 01:43:13 am »

A lot of people don't realize that the most damaging scratches are on the label side.  The bottom can usually take a good bit of damage, but a small scratch on the top will make the disk worthless. 

Anyway, I hit several PS2 games in the recent Gamestop clearance that were scratched to the point that they either wouldn't boot at all or skipped badly when they did.  And I have a copy of Persona that my wife got from somewhere before we met that skips pretty bad as well. 

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 02:01:07 am »
I can agree that PS2 games will reach around the same prices as PS1 games but NES?  Not completely certain.

Whatever the case may be...  I've been compiling and looking for games I want the most for the system right now.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:27 pm »

True story.  I knew a guy that burried Mario 64 in the ground back in 97 or 98.  He literally got a shovel, dug a big hole, and buried the crap out of the cartridge.  I did not keep to much contact with him over the years; however, about a year ago, I ran into him at the library and he asked if I remembered the burying and I said yes.  He said he forgot about it until a week before I ran into him, and he dug it out and it still play like new.  Amazing.  Bet that would not be the case with a cd game.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 11:17:23 pm »

True story.  I knew a guy that burried Mario 64 in the ground back in 97 or 98.  He literally got a shovel, dug a big hole, and buried the crap out of the cartridge.  I did not keep to much contact with him over the years; however, about a year ago, I ran into him at the library and he asked if I remembered the burying and I said yes.  He said he forgot about it until a week before I ran into him, and he dug it out and it still play like new.  Amazing.  Bet that would not be the case with a cd game.

That is really cool! And yes, I doubt a CD could have endured that.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:37 am »
I know this is a mean thing to say for future collectors of PS2, but, I really hope they raise in value. I have more PS2 games than any other system just because they've been so cheap. It'd be nice for my biggest set to go up in value.