Author Topic: Vita Fat or Slim?  (Read 6605 times)

Vita Fat or Slim?
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:15:42 pm »
So I'm thinking about getting a Vita with some extra tax return money... Should I try to get one of the current Fat models or should I hold out for the new slim? From what I hear the current model has a better screen but the slim has a better battery life. are there any other differences? Anyone have an opinion on the subject?

argyle

Re: Vita Fat or Slim?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:21 am »
I haven't had an issue with the battery life personally - but I *love* the OLED screen.  I say the original. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:44:05 am »
Going with the original Vita since I don't really mind the battery life.  More of an indoors portable gamer.

Negative side is that there is no internal storage on the Vita, even if it is only 1 GB.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:33 am »
For me the most important is the screen. OLED is much more better than LCD. In terms of battery life - I'm using the NYKO Power Grip http://vgcollect.com/item/53969 . It is very comfortable and adds almost double battery life.

karyann

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:33 pm »
Seems like I'll be a little against the current here :P
I personally don't care much about the screen, and I heard that OLED breaks more easily than LCD. The slim's shape fits nicer in the hands, the battery life is a little longer, and the rear touch pad being smaller makes it more difficult to accidentally touch it while playing. Knowing all that, I'm going for the slim version.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:35:39 pm »
If you dont have them both, you wont know the difference  ;)

darko

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »
I really like the screen on my Vita (OLED). I picked mine up from CL months ago for about 120 with a 16GB memory card. I can't imaging them going up in price. My battery life isn't atrocious, but it's not great. I'm betting the difference in the battery life has more to do with the screen change than anything else. Either way, you're not going to get a ton of playtime between charges.

I've spent a bit of time with the Vita and I'll say this - regardless of which model you choose, you're picking up the nicest handheld console ever made. While the library isn't huge, it's pretty good. The addition of FFX to the lineup made me happy. If you enjoy games like Monster Hunter? Give Toukiden a try. Also, if you don't already have PS+, it's worth getting for the Vita.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »
I make your life REALLY EASY.

Get the Fat.  = Loads Faster/OLED screen is SO MUCH Better.

than get

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Grip-Vita-Sony-PS/dp/B0079V29EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398616522&sr=8-1&keywords=nyko+vita

= Match Made in heaven.

Also get at least 32 GB memory card.

Been using this for over 3 months now BEST GRIP that makes the VITA so much more comfortable and fun to play.  It also double battery life of the PS Vita also awesome part you can charge it while playing at same time with the grip.  It so good i am thinking of getting one or two more just in case the one i am using breaks or they stop making them.

P.S. just saved you 5hours i wasted researching ps vita vs the slim and finding the best most comfortable grip for it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:39:29 pm by lordsofskulls »
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

karyann

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:38:30 am »

You really sure about the loading faster part? I haven't read anything about it, nor about anything different in the hardware specs apart from the screen. Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:07:23 am »
I'm also going to go with the OLED > LCD!

That said:

1).  I'm also a pretty much at home gamer -so- even my portables get most of their use in my house making battery life less of an issue,

2).  I'm gonna have to agree with Darko about it being the BEST hand-held/portable...ever, and

3).  If you're only interested in playing physical/Cart games...don't buy either one ==> instead, import a VitaTV from Japan (compatible w/ most *physical* NA games); so you can play them on your regular tv + with a controller!   8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:07:38 am »

You really sure about the loading faster part? I haven't read anything about it, nor about anything different in the hardware specs apart from the screen. Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious!

I thought so myself but I saw couple Ps vita side by side comparison and oled loaded faster and had richer colors they were on youtube
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

karyann

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »
After watching videos, I do have to admit that the slim's screen looks yellower. What the hell, Sony? How do you think you can sell more systems by giving them a yellowish screen and bragging that the graphics are amazing at the same time?  :-\

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:42 am »
What the hell, Sony? How do you think you can sell more systems by giving them a yellowish screen and bragging that the graphics are amazing at the same time?  :-\

Buy selling you/buying yourself an OLED Vita!  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:40:35 pm »
Okay, so I just wanna throw my 2 cents in.
Remember that the purpose of the new Vita is to make it much more affordable and to compete with the 3ds XL. A lot of people don't mind graphics if they can save $100. Personally, I'd rather have the old vita.

Also just to show everyone how drastic the difference is, here is a comparison of the two side by side. The top one is the old vita.http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/09/vita2-2-610x748.jpg

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 12:43:04 pm »
Get the fat one, if you did'nt get anyone yet. The benefits of the slim aren't really that great.

The fat has a better screen.

The slim comes with 1GB on-board storage, but that's not enough for pretty much anything. I got the 4GB bundle with the fat and it still isn't even close to enough. Not to mention that 1GB storage becomes completely unusable when you have a memory card inserted. So unless you plan on playing 1-2 PSN games at a time and never buying a memory card, the 1GB storage means nothing.

The slim has a more mainstream charging port. But I have a propiertary port on my phone, and I've never lost it or needed a new one. So this isn't that big of a deal.

The slim is thinner. I haven't held the slim, but the fat one already seems too thin for me, my hands cramp within a couple hours of gaming. Because of this, I don't have a problem with battery life either. I just charge it while my hands rest.

There are no new features with the slim. In fact, there MAY actually be less. The fat has a port on it that the slim doesn't. Sony removing this port might mean that they have no use for it, but you never know, some obscure Japanese attachment may come out in the future that's only compatible with the fatty.