Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games  (Read 228644 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Games
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2014, 10:31:25 am »
For those of you excited for Ar noSurge, Siliconera posted some screenies so all y'all can see the progress of the game's localization.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/11/ar-nosurge-english-screenshots-show-games-localization/
I really like what I see so far. This is going to be a great September! :D

*Edit: Now there's an official english trailer! (ugh, I really hope this will have dual audio)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:55:35 am by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2014, 12:32:11 pm »
I'm not really sure why so many fanservice games have been getting localized lately. This sort of weird stuff used to stay in Japan. A couple years ago it would've been unthinkable that we'd get Akiba's Trip, or Senran Kagura. Even Conception II was a bit of an odd choice, with the whole creepy "classmating" thing going on (and the pervy priest who watches the "classmating rituals"). Eugh, hearing it dubbed in english makes it even creepier. :(

Conception II *is* weird, but at least they keep it to vague innuendo.  I thought the gameplay shots of Akiba's Trip looked fun, but I am concerned as to how far it goes as well (if it's as fan-service-y as Senran Kagura, then I'll have to pass). 

Some people on other forums I frequent complained about the "censoring" that was done to the Mugen Souls games, but honestly had they NOT cut out those super-creepy bath mini-games I would have let those pass as well.  I don't mind a little fan service within limits, but please let's leave kids (and saying in the manual that the character actually ISN'T a kid even tho they clearly look like one doesn't cut it) out of it.

Conception II only has innuendo, the only sexual stuff in there is text, so I don't mind it at all. The only thing I don't really like about the game is the maze thing, I don't know exactly why, but I have a hard time navigating in there and I don't find that part really fun. Nevertheless, the game is fun to me :)

I agree about the navigating - I've only finished the tutorial section (I was hoping to make it through enough to get to the point of being able to download the free DLC while I could), but it was dragging so much for me.  Something about the dungeons is not that appealing to me, but I love going through the dungeons/mazes in Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3/4!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

karyann

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2014, 01:46:56 pm »
I agree about the navigating - I've only finished the tutorial section (I was hoping to make it through enough to get to the point of being able to download the free DLC while I could), but it was dragging so much for me.  Something about the dungeons is not that appealing to me, but I love going through the dungeons/mazes in Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3/4!

Didn't know there were free DLCs - I just downloaded them now, thanks!

argyle

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »
There's also a TON of free DLC for both Mugen Souls Z & Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, as well as one so far for One Piece UWR. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

argyle

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:59 pm »
Well....crap.  That's what I get for saying I have everything I plan on picking up this year preordered already.  NISA is working with Koei-Tecmo to put out a Limited Edition of Ar Nosurge:

http://store.nisamerica.com/Ar-nosurge-Limited-Edition?whence=

*clicks preorder*
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »
Wow, Ar noSurge's LE is great, and it's way cheaper than the Fairy Fencer F LE. My wallet can't handle all of these awesome Limited Editions. :'(
Dual audio has also been confirmed for Ar noSurge! ;D

argyle

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:20 pm »
Wow, Ar noSurge's LE is great, and it's way cheaper than the Fairy Fencer F LE. My wallet can't handle all of these awesome Limited Editions. :'(

Yup, I love that box & poster artwork, and the price is much more reasonable - especially since I have $10 in gift certs w/ NISA.  ;) 

And I liked the voices from the trailer, sounded pretty good to me.  :) 

EDIT:  Oh!  I had a question!  :P  For anyone that knows, is this game directly related to the first 3 Ar Tonelico games, or just set in the same universe?  I guess what I'm asking is if I will need to have played the others first - mind you, I *want* to, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on the ebay prices of the first 2.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:29:25 pm by argyle »

abe

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2014, 06:30:02 am »

Yup, I love that box & poster artwork, and the price is much more reasonable - especially since I have $10 in gift certs w/ NISA.  ;) 

EDIT:  Oh!  I had a question!  :P  For anyone that knows, is this game directly related to the first 3 Ar Tonelico games, or just set in the same universe?  I guess what I'm asking is if I will need to have played the others first - mind you, I *want* to, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on the ebay prices of the first 2.   :-\

According to the Ar tonelico Wiki, it's a continuation of Ciel noSurge (which wasn't released out of Japan), and a prequel to the Ar Tonelico games. Sooooo... that's good for you, since story-wise this is probably a better place to start than the 3 Ar Tonelico games. :)

argyle

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2014, 07:30:42 am »

According to the Ar tonelico Wiki, it's a continuation of Ciel noSurge (which wasn't released out of Japan), and a prequel to the Ar Tonelico games. Sooooo... that's good for you, since story-wise this is probably a better place to start than the 3 Ar Tonelico games. :)

Cool, thanks!  I still want to get the others eventually, but this one looks really good so I'd like to play it before then.  ;) 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2014, 10:04:06 am »
Yeah, you're fine playing this one 1st.

*Cancels GS vanilla pre-order*

*Pre-orders several N1 LE's*

8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

ffxik

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
Sweet.  Question.  Am I the only one who wants another Mana Khemia game?  I'm stoked for this one.  But the Mana spin off is by far may favorite.

argyle

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
Sweet.  Question.  Am I the only one who wants another Mana Khemia game?  I'm stoked for this one.  But the Mana spin off is by far may favorite.

Mana Khemia is a spin-off of the Atelier series, not Ar Tonelico - but in your defense, all these nonsense words kinda sound the same.  :P  I did love the first Mana Khemia - still haven't played the second, even tho I've owned it since it came out.  No excuse, really.   :-\ 

***ATTENTION ANYONE WHO PREORDERED PERSONA Q PREMIUM EDITION FROM BEST BUY WHEN IT WAS LISTED FOR $49.99*** 

If you check your order now, you'll find that the description has changed and it now says you've preordered the standard edition.  HOWEVER, if you contact them (either phone or email, I went with email) and let them know that:

1) you preordered it when the description was for the premium edition for $49.99
2) your order now appears to have changed, and
3) you've heard from a friend (I'm your friend! :D) that they are offering $30 gift cards to people in your situation so that you can cancel & reorder the correct title (the premium edition is now listed separately for $80)

Then they'll hook you up!  Word is the customer service people have told others that they have been informed of the situation and that this is the solution they've been told to offer, so there's nothing shady going on here.  I emailed them yesterday and got an email back shortly saying I'd have my gift card in a couple of weeks.  :) 

desocietas

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »

***ATTENTION ANYONE WHO PREORDERED PERSONA Q PREMIUM EDITION FROM BEST BUY WHEN IT WAS LISTED FOR $49.99*** 

If you check your order now, you'll find that the description has changed and it now says you've preordered the standard edition.  HOWEVER, if you contact them (either phone or email, I went with email) and let them know that:

1) you preordered it when the description was for the premium edition for $49.99
3) you've heard from a friend (I'm your friend! :D) that they are offering $30 gift cards to people in your situation so that you can cancel & reorder the correct title (the premium edition is now listed separately for $80)

Then they'll hook you up!  Word is the customer service people have told others that they have been informed of the situation and that this is the solution they've been told to offer, so there's nothing shady going on here.  I emailed them yesterday and got an email back shortly saying I'd have my gift card in a couple of weeks.  :)

Good to know that you emailed them!  I really didn't want to call them (I saw that someone had done that on Cheap Ass Gamers.  I'll give it a go - thanks!

I was hoping something like this would happen :P  GG BestBuy on leaving that incorrect listing up for weeks!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2014, 03:27:24 pm »
Super minor insignificant news on Azure Striker Gunvolt. English voices will no longer be added to the North American version of the game, instead, the Japanese voices will remain during gameplay (though maybe not cutscenes for some reason).

soera

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2014, 05:06:58 pm »

I already had called them a few days ago and they confirmed my order was correct. But I went ahead and called them again today. They offered me the $30 card and cancelled my original order. So Im going to go reorder the pre-order tonight. :)