Author Topic: Is owning multiples of a console obsessive/hoarding?  (Read 4554 times)

thecrypticodor

Is owning multiples of a console obsessive/hoarding?
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »
A friend of mine was looking through my collection earlier and he asked me as to why I have so many duplicates of certain consoles. I tried explaining to him it was for a couple of reasons. That some of them I play almost on a daily basis so they'll naturally experience a lot of wear and a backup will eventually be needed. So I get them whenever I find them cheap. Also for older systems if I'm gonna shell out top dollar for some of the rarer expensive titles especially ones for older systems I like the feeling that I'll always have a working unit to play them on. He didn't really seem satisfied with my answer and said that I'm just obsessive and a hoarder.  :(

What are your guys thoughts on this is owning multiples of consoles a obsessive or hoarding behavior?
Your thoughts
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:38:46 pm by thecrypticodor »

Re: Is owning multiples of a console obsessive/hoarding?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »
A friend of mine was looking through my collection earlier and he asked me as to why I have so many duplicates of certain consoles. I tried explaining to him it was for a couple of reasons. That some of them I play almost on a daily basis so they'll naturally experience a lot of wear and a backup will eventually be needed. So I get them whenever I find them cheap. Also for older systems if I'm gonna shell out top dollar for some of the rarer expensive titles especially ones for older systems I like the feeling that I'm always have a working units to play them on. He didn't really seem satisfied with my answer and said that I'm just obsessive and a hoarder.  :(

What are your guys thoughts on this is owning multiples of consoles a obsessive or hoading behavior?
Your thoughts

That's smart to me, I mean, unless you have like...dozens of extras, it's probably not a big issue, because I got like three NES's right now just to try and get one working properly lol I understand your thinking for sure, these old consoles can wear out.  It's also only obsessive if you HAVE to have these and your spending tons of money on them and it's only hoarding if it becomes a problem where your living situation is being harmed in some way.

Are you going broke buying old consoles you already have and/or are you forced to sleep on a pile of Nintendo consoles because you have no more room? lol  If no to both, then it's really nothing more than being your normal collector, especially when it comes to the older, more finicky systems.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:56 pm »
I don't see what's the big deal. Like you said, eventually the system will break down and stop working. I know plenty of non-collecting gamers who own multiple PS3/360s for the sake of having them set up in more than one location; which isn't a big difference.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:22:03 am »
I definitely don't think it is hoarding as long as there is a sound reason behind why you are doing it and you're not just getting a specific console because you feel compelled to do so. I personally own 4 Playstation 2 slims (one is a japanese model) because I have been through more PS2 consoles then any console ever. The damn disc reader is very finicky and quits working sometimes out of the blue. Given the PS2 in my second favorite system, I want enough of them to get me through decades and decades of gaming. I would also like to own another Dreamcast for the same reason.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:37:20 am »
Having multiple amounts of one console can be convenient, especially if you or anyone you know has the skills to tinker with/repair them.

If you do own a console that no longer works and/or all the usable parts have been used to repair the others...  I'm thinking you might be.  Just my opinion.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

theflea

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:19:43 am »
I own extras as in one opened to use, and others I pick up that where complete in box I keep to display (and on hand if one i use breaks down) and of course I keep variations but do I keep every N64 i pick up from garage sales? no. I use those for trade.
Any extra console/game I pick up is open to trade/sell. Shoot I sometime feel stupid for holding on to greatest hits or Players Choice versions when I own the original label.
I will hold on to an extra system if it has a history to break easy too, like the Virtual Boy eyes going out.

I know collectors who keep every copy one one game. One holds on to every copy of Bo Jackson Baseball for some reason. Another collects every copy he can find of Tetris DX. I never got this, but if this makes you happy you keep on hording every copy you find. lol
"Happy game hunting!!!"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
I see no problem.

Then again I have 2 game boys. 2 nes systems, 2 genesis systems, 2 2600's, and a SNES and super famicom, 2 playstation 1's, and 2 psps.

htimreimer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:39:02 am »
A friend of mine was looking through my collection earlier and he asked me as to why I have so many duplicates of certain consoles. I tried explaining to him it was for a couple of reasons. That some of them I play almost on a daily basis so they'll naturally experience a lot of wear and a backup will eventually be needed. So I get them whenever I find them cheap. Also for older systems if I'm gonna shell out top dollar for some of the rarer expensive titles especially ones for older systems I like the feeling that I'm always have a working units to play them on. He didn't really seem satisfied with my answer and said that I'm just obsessive and a hoarder.  :(

What are your guys thoughts on this is owning multiples of consoles a obsessive or hoading behavior?
Your thoughts
it depends how many your talking about, 2,3 maybe 4 is no problem, when you have 5+ of the same console or game, you need to talk to your family physician about OCD,anxiety and mental illness also if you are experiencing extreme difficulties letting go of an item, that's another reason to talk to your family physician

my source of information, i have mental illness and i have some problems with this also i do a lot of research on this type of stuff for some reason

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:31:27 am »
I don't really see a problem with it.  However asking those of us in the collecting circle is kind pointless since we all pretty much do it and will affirm each others actions for the most part.  I'm just throwing that out there.  I'm not trying to start anything.

I also collect multiples of systems, albeit a little differently.  My big thing is hardware or cosmetic design differences.  I don't go for limited edition branded consoles.  I don't own a Modern Warfare 2 or Halo 3 Xbox 360 with my Arcade that I currently use, but I don't see the problem owning my Arcade, a Slim, and an E model.

My big thing is how do they differ outside and inside.  What is their setup?  How do they differ during disassemble? What can I learn when it comes time for a unit to fail?  I'm actually actively looking for the alternate 360's and PS3's at the moment.  System function is optional.  Especially when I first get them I'll grab my tool kit and dive in. 

I do own many duplicates of some systems.  I'm working on getting them fixed up and out though.  Come to think of it I don't even know why they are listed in my collection here.  Time for some clean up. 

Wow that's one heck of a tangent.  Sorry about that.   :(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:36:52 am by ffxik »

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 08:46:14 am »
I don't see it as a problem. I have a few Game Boys, and couple Game Boy Pockets and one of each different hardware version (GB, Play it Loud, GBP, GBL and GBC). 2 Original DS systems and a DS Lite. I have 2 NES consoles, both of which don't work but I've held onto for parts and I've had a couple PS2s.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

blipcs76

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:58:41 am »
I suffer from this a little bit.  I have 4 NES, 2 SNES, 2 N64, 4 Atari 2600, 4 PS1 and my worst offender is my 7 Sega Genesis consoles. I want to get rid of them, but I start parting it out and realize I can't find enough cables for all of them and I'm reluctant to sell them off if I leave myself without a way to hook them up.  Usually, I acquire these duplicate consoles when I find them at garage sales with a bunch of games and they don't want to split it up.  I want the games, so I end up with extra consoles.

The only system I purposefully collect multiples are Gameboys, where I want to eventually collect all the primary color variations.  I probably wont' go any further than GBC though.  I don't need 50 gameboys in different colors sitting around here :)

bobster

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 10:09:25 am »
I suffer from this a little bit.  I have 4 NES, 2 SNES, 2 N64, 4 Atari 2600, 4 PS1 and my worst offender is my 7 Sega Genesis consoles. I want to get rid of them, but I start parting it out and realize I can't find enough cables for all of them and I'm reluctant to sell them off if I leave myself without a way to hook them up.  Usually, I acquire these duplicate consoles when I find them at garage sales with a bunch of games and they don't want to split it up.  I want the games, so I end up with extra consoles.

The only system I purposefully collect multiples are Gameboys, where I want to eventually collect all the primary color variations.  I probably wont' go any further than GBC though.  I don't need 50 gameboys in different colors sitting around here :)
I have the same problem with Genesis consoles. Everyone and their mother has one around here. If I buy a Genesis lot, I end up with another console  ::)
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 10:12:27 am »
Only if *YOU* consider it to be so  ;)

Hoarder/not a hoarder is something that each of us need to define & decide for ourselves, I think...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 10:53:36 am »
Let me start by saying that I'm a psychology major and my area of interest is abnormal psychology.

In short, no, you are neither obsessive nor a hoarder (based on the information you've provided). In abnormal psychology, we define a behavior as "bad" only if it interferes with a person's ability to enjoy their life. The key point is that you said you primarily have multiple copies of rare games and even then you usually only buy duplicates if you can find them on sale.

1) An obsession means you cannot stop thinking about it. Unless you spend most of your free time looking for duplicates, you're not obsessive. It's one thing to walk by a video game store when on vacation and pop in to see if there are any good deals. It's another to plan a vacation in California and ONLY go to video game stores looking for deals.
2) A hoarder is someone who does not stop collecting. In your case, if you came across a copy of a rare game that was at a good price and you already have five copies of that game, would you buy that copy? A hoarder would buy the game at a low price no matter how many copies they owned.

Hope this helps :)

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 10:59:43 am »
Well, I admit to myself that I'm a hoarder even though I don't collect multiples.  Sometimes I  like to be hypocritical and cry hoarder when someone collects multiples of the same game just because there is a slight variant. That doesn't mean the game is different! Why do you need the same game in every fashion that it was printed at the factory?! You will never use all of them!! Oh well, collect/hoard however you like.  ;)

Let me start by saying that I'm a psychology major and my area of interest is abnormal psychology.

In short, no, you are neither obsessive nor a hoarder (based on the information you've provided). In abnormal psychology, we define a behavior as "bad" only if it interferes with a person's ability to enjoy their life. The key point is that you said you primarily have multiple copies of rare games and even then you usually only buy duplicates if you can find them on sale.

1) An obsession means you cannot stop thinking about it. Unless you spend most of your free time looking for duplicates, you're not obsessive. It's one thing to walk by a video game store when on vacation and pop in to see if there are any good deals. It's another to plan a vacation in California and ONLY go to video game stores looking for deals.
2) A hoarder is someone who does not stop collecting. In your case, if you came across a copy of a rare game that was at a good price and you already have five copies of that game, would you buy that copy? A hoarder would buy the game at a low price no matter how many copies they owned.

Hope this helps :)

Well, who among us isn't nearly always thinking about video games? I'd say it's an obsession, at least for me. Yeah, I'm always searching for something. I'd prefer to find something I don't have. I have driven hours just to visit other towns and scour them for games. I'd also of course, buy up a copy of something I already had if the price were right. I always see it as possible trade material, another way to get a game I don't have.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:05:32 am by Warmsignal »