Author Topic: So why do we care about instructions manuals anyway?  (Read 3031 times)

Warmsignal

So why do we care about instructions manuals anyway?
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:57 pm »
At one point I told myself that I no longer care if a game has it's manual anymore. I just got really sick of caring, and once they started to make new games without instruction manuals I was both annoyed and kind of relieved too. Yet, I still get annoyed when I buy a dvd cased game and then find out - surprise! no manual! So I guess I do still care. But why? How many manuals have I taken the time to look through? Very few. How many have I needed in order to play the game? None. How do they effect the presentation of the game? Not at all. So why does it still feel wrong?

It's a crazy theory. But I think it has something to do with the weight of the game, being comparatively lighter than most other games that do have them. I know it sounds stupid, but when I buy a game, the heavier it is, the more satisfied I am. The lighter it is, the more I feel like I wasted my money. Even without having tried the game out. Lighter instinctively feels inferior, like less for your money, which is always annoying. Like paying $1.30 for a cheese burger and then realizing it's the size of a cookie. ... or something, who knows.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:00:19 pm by Warmsignal »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: So why do we care about instructions manuals anyway?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
Because...we *DO*
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:12:23 pm »
Because the old instruction manuels were a big source of game information, some of them have impressive art-work.
If i see manuels at a yardsale I pick them up, if i already have them, I give them to a friend to make their loose games more complete.
And ofcourse it makes you feel better when you know you bought the complete version of a game.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:18:10 pm by koemo1 »
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

argyle

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
Because it's part of what makes it "complete" in a collectible sense.  Same reason toy collectors want their figures in the package, and little things like "hang tabs" matter to them.  Everyone has their line - I don't care about the "throw away" pack-ins with a game, like the advertisements or seizure warning sheets.  But I do want the case, manual & of course the game if at all possible. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

numing

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »
I may be one of very few, but I personally like looking through them every once in a while, whether I've finished the game or not. Some have nice artwork in them too.
Other than that, it's mostly the feeling of having a "complete" game. Not having a manual bothers me as much as say, a dent in the case.

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:15:37 pm »
I will actually read the stories in the manuals especially on older games to fill me in on some things I did not know about the story.

scott

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 04:26:09 pm »
I may be one of very few, but I personally like looking through them every once in a while, whether I've finished the game or not. Some have nice artwork in them too.
Other than that, it's mostly the feeling of having a "complete" game. Not having a manual bothers me as much as say, a dent in the case.

I like reading game manuals, especially ones for RPGs. I've passed on many of games because of the lack of manual. Recently I saw a copy of Drakengard 2 on the shelf, but when I opened it up and saw no book I slid it back on the shelf.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 04:31:43 pm »
I know what you mean, I was secretly (until now) shocked when I got the Yoshi's New Island game and it didn't come with a manual.  As if I needed the paper manual for that game.  I think why it really bothered me was that I was no longer getting something I used to get.

I remember when in the 90s I had the Turbografx and they stopped giving you cases for the games, you would just get a plastic tray with the game card and a manual on/in it.  At least it had a manual!!!!  Of course at the time I was in denial about the TG16 going under, so that didn't comfort me at all. 

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »
tbh I don't care if a game doesn't gave its manual for games that are in DVD or bluray cases, or cartridge based games which I can take loose. What bothers me the most are games where the manual and cover are one in the same (PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast). Because the manual serves a pretty big asthetic role, it is necessary if I am going to purchase these games for close to full price.

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:24:10 pm »
tbh I don't care if a game doesn't gave its manual for games that are in DVD or bluray cases, or cartridge based games which I can take loose. What bothers me the most are games where the manual and cover are one in the same (PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast). Because the manual serves a pretty big asthetic role, it is necessary if I am going to purchase these games for close to full price.

Jaughty where the heck have you been at?

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:12:51 pm »

Jaughty where the heck have you been at?

Lol lurking. I just haven't seen many posts that I've been interested in me lately as well, it's been kinda dead around here. It could just be me too :p

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 10:08:20 pm »
Part of what you're saying is true. There is a small cost factor with printing and inserting the manuals into the cases that would be saved. For the 8 and 16-bit era there was kind of a need to include additional information about the game into the packaging that may not have been included within the game. Such as story, maps, controls, credits and other info. On top of that if you're looking for a "complete-in-box" set you'll definitely need it. As a collector of older games I try to pick up manuals when available. I'm not really into CIB stuff but if stumble across a really good deal I might go for it.

As a gamer, I don't really care about modern games not including them anymore. There's not really a point to it since newer games tend to do a good job at teaching players the controls and portraying the story. Since most of the info that you would find in a traditional manual is contained within the game it's not necessary to print that info.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 12:42:55 am »
As far as collecting retro games and practically paying near-extra price for those games, I would especially prefer to have instruction manuals on those games.  I get satisfaction knowing that the money I agreed to pay for yielded me a complete game that is out-of-print and/or hard to find.

Sometimes I look at the instruction manuals for either a moves list, characters, or credits such as the names of certain composers, directors, art designers, and/or voiceovers.  The manual may only be for aesthetic purposes most of the time but when previous generations took the time to have them inside the games, then I, as a collector, would appreciate having the game with it as such as it should be.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »
Because the old instruction manuels were a big source of game information, some of them have impressive art-work.
If i see manuels at a yardsale I pick them up, if i already have them, I give them to a friend to make their loose games more complete.
And ofcourse it makes you feel better when you know you bought the complete version of a game.

I want to be your friend. :)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »

I want to be your friend. :)

Hahah
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]