Author Topic: Things you miss, but can't get back  (Read 12621 times)

retroone

Re: Things you miss, but can't get back
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 12:17:21 pm »

What if I told you... That cartoons today are no different than they were fifteen years ago, you just got older and your tastes changed?

Still miss them though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »
the 80's!

Holy shit, do I miss the 80's :'(

Never had so much fun, felt so highgood, and loved & was loved as much, as well, and as often ;D

Life was lower-tech but...I think, in a nice & charming kind of way.

Arcades were the shit, + D&D and video gaming were new-ish, fresh, and on the rise.

Metal, hair bands, and power ballads were born & Rhandy Rhodes and Cliff Burton were fucking *Alive*, man!

Sure - in high school, we all fought...A LOT *But* we did so w/o guns or blades and -usually- after kicking ass (or getting your ass kicked:) we hugged our opponent, re-affirmed our friendship & loyalty to each other, laughed-off whatever we'd fought about, and drank/smoked some more...and forgot all about the whole thing ;)

My fellow VGC'ers, who lived through/during this decade...will know that I'm speaking the Gospel truth - when, 'I'll tell you what'...

...the word "aids" meant nothing but helping and, the word "crack" had more to do with the plumber's ass --and-- had nothing to do with drugs.

Seriously.

No disease called "aids".

No drug called "crack".

Life was truly different & thus able to be lived differently...almost like another world... 8)

"Those Were the Days"

(from All In the Family)

should be playing - out loud *or* internally in the minds of all who lived it, knew it, loved & hated it, miss it, and grieve, lament, and hate the fact that there can't & won't ever be another 80's... :-\

"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »

Yep. Those were the days.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:42:38 pm by dashv »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
Having a summer where I could literally do nothing but hang out with friends and play games for 3 months straight.

Also fucking Blockbuster, something that really defined a generation and I'm upset my future kids will never get to experience it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Having a summer where I could literally do nothing but hang out with friends and play games for 3 months straight.

I'm with ya on that. Summer vacation, winter vacation, snow days, and spring break. Days off that I didn't have to do squat. I'd love to go back to that.

kr2nist

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »

What if I told you... That cartoons today are no different than they were fifteen years ago, you just got older and your tastes changed?

Very true, byron.   ;D  But still, for those of us who had the opportunity to experience it, nothin' screams Saturday more than watching the likes of classic "Looney Tunes" and "Godzilla" while sitting right in front of the T.V. and gorging on several bowls of cereal.  lol!

And speaking of old cartoons, what are some of y'all's favorite 'toons from back in the day?
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 12:36:44 am »
The Super Mario Brothers Super Show
And
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

byron

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 01:10:42 am »
My favorite childhood cartoons are the predictable choices for someone my age: Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, et cetera. Also Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons from the '40s.

Case in point. I loved this show when I was a kid, but I found some episodes on VHS and watched them as an adult and, while I still love them, I can now see how glaringly crappy they are.

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:43 am »
- Saturday Morning Cartoons
- Southglenn Mall (the mall that I used to go to all the time until it was torn down in 2006)
- Video rental stores
- When Pokemon ruled the world
- Toonami (we're talking the original run, not the one day a week crap they do now)
- My dad's old house
- My brother before he grew up and decided being a dork was beneath him
- Collecting games before everyone else and their dog was doing it
- Sega, when they made awesome consoles
- Borders Books (fell in love with this chain towards the end of their life)
- Software Ect and EBX before Gamestop's hostile takeover
- Many of my childhood friends (funny enough, I have tried reconnecting with a few, but it just isn't the same)
- That intense anticipation of Christmas and Birthdays that started a month prior to the event.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:09:31 am by bikingjahuty »

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 02:56:32 am »
I miss dedicated Arcades. They are few and far between.

I forgot about this one. There closest thing I have to this is a bar in downtown Denver called 1up that is pretty cool, but sadly they have not really changed anything in two years, and they lack a lot of the mid to late 90s machines I am most fond of. It would be nice to just have a dedicated arcade like I used to have when I was younger :(

retroone

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:42 am »
Tom and Jerry
Loony Tunes
Rugrats
Spiderman
and any Cartoon Network show that was airing around 2004.

As a kid I watched way to much t.v!

kr2nist

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:36 am »
My favorite childhood cartoons are the predictable choices for someone my age: Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, et cetera. Also Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons from the '40s.

Case in point. I loved this show when I was a kid, but I found some episodes on VHS and watched them as an adult and, while I still love them, I can now see how glaringly crappy they are.

Definitely love Courage The Cowardly Dog, Ren & Stimpy, and The Animaniacs (especially "Pinky & The Brain"...FTW!).

And as for The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, of course I knew the episodes were crappy right off the bat, but come on now....how could I NOT watch Super Mario Bros.?  lol!

kr2nist

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 11:45:34 am »
- Borders Books (fell in love with this chain towards the end of their life)
- Software Ect and EBX before Gamestop's hostile takeover

I was a HUGE fan of Borders Books, Waldenbooks, and Crown Books back in the day!
And oh my god, how I loved Software Etc and EBX (aka Electronics Boutique)....and let's not also FuncoLand too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 12:58:01 pm »

No. That's not right. Cartoons are completely different today. You can't tell me that cartoons like He-Man, Batman, Looney Toons, and Donald Duck are the same as Adventure Time, Phineas & Ferb, and Gumball. They're worlds apart.

byron

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »
Warner Bros. and Disney shorts are different. They were expensively produced for movie theaters seventy years ago and are simply not part of a discussion about TV cartoons.

Batman: The Animated Series is easily comparable to today's cartoons. It was animated cheaply, but in a visually interesting way by underpaid Koreans. The writing was, admit it, good but not stellar. That description fits early Adventure Time and Gumball pretty well too.

He-Man is an animated toy catalog. We still have cartoons like that today.