Author Topic: Arcade Cabinet Collecting  (Read 4233 times)

Arcade Cabinet Collecting
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:46:49 am »
Any good sites for Arcade collecting?

Looking to buy a Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat 2/3 Cab, but don't want to spend too much.

How much are they worth?

matt

Re: Arcade Cabinet Collecting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:44 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ has a good Buy/Sell/Trade forum which is where I found my second and third cabs.

Around me there seems to be a lot of them that pop up on Craigslist, so I'd check that. Not too sure on the value of something like that right now. You could always get another cab and fit it with the proper board.

scott

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

I've seen them going for a few hundred to over a grand, I guess it all depends on the condition and rarity. When I get space and money to get a Centipede or Robotron cab, I'd be tempted to buy a fixer upper to stretch my cab building skills and refurbish it. I'm sure @brettybluevein is the guy to talk to on the subject too.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »
I completely rebuilt an arcade machine a couple years ago and had to source original parts (Super Mario Bros VS and Castlevania VS).  The IAM/KLOV forums were amazing help, they also buy/sell on there a lot.  Very active community, friendly peeps.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:08:08 pm »
Something to think about when you buy an arcade game is what you actually want out of it....are you in it just to play a single game? 60 games? 3000+ games? There's an option out there for everybody. Take me for example, when I bought my first machine (Simpsons 4 player), I wanted an original cabinet, with full side artwork, and a bright monitor. I paid more to have an original Simpsons cab. I probably could've gotten the game for less, but it might have been in a cabinet that was painted black, no artwork etc. For my collection, originality is important. The only time I've ever gone not original was in restoring my Millipede cabinet. We were having issues with the original pcb, so for less than the price of a replacement, we bought a 60-in-1 board that contained Millipede, Centipede, Breakout, Arkanoid and a few others that can be operated with a trackball. It also contains Pac-man, Donkey Kong etc, but I turned those off because I din't want to install a joystick. Millipede was never a favorite of mine, I just got the cabinet fairly cheap and wanted a project to occupy some time, so that was it. So I say all that to say this: for me, original components are key, and that usually translates to more money. I'm okay with that, in most cases.

As far as the value on the machines you're looking at, there's other factors at work. Even though the cabinet design is THE EXACT SAME on a MK machine and a Killer Instinct machine, the Killer Instinct machine will bring more money if someone wants an original cab. You can expect to see that machine to sell between $800 and $1200, where an MK2 will sell between $250 and $600. There's certainly exceptions to those rules, but those are pretty good ballpark figures. That's assuming they have good monitors, all controls work, etc.

If you have any questions feel free to throw me a message, and I can give you my opinion on what you're looking at. Also remember this, you WILL have maintenance along the life of owning a cabinet. Monitors go bad, boards fry, power supplies go out, so just be ready to pay for that. Let us know what you get, it's always great to see more people get into the arcade hobby. Cheers.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

scott

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
3000+ games?

This. That's why I built my own cab from scratch, cause I don't have room/ money for original of everything and I wanted an art project to work on. Also the bragging rights when showing it off is a huge bonus, haha.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »
Be aware that arcade machines also tend to multiply. My Omega Race soon gained a partner (Asteroids Deluxe), and next thing I know I've got a garage full.

Another thing to look at is any water damage. If you're handy with woodworking it might be no big deal. Keep in mind that in many cases a machine is worth more in parts than it is as a whole. So that $50 empty cab might look like a good deal on the surface but you could easily sink several hundred more into putting a machine back together that might only be worth $200. I always look at it this way: I am buying a game to play it, not as an investment.

As has already been mentioned, BYOAC is a pretty good place to poke around. I would also recommend checking out the KLOV forums (http://forums.arcade-museum.com/) and perhaps a bit of research to see if there is a forum where others in your region gather (such as http://forum.okcoin-op.com/ for us Oklahoman folk).

Pricing tends to vary a bit based on location. Keep in mind that shipping can cost almost as much as a game if you don't want to drive out to Whereverville to get it. And remember, it's all about the condition.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:15 am »
Thanks guys! The hunt is on...

I'm sure I will have more questions when I am standing in front of one of these bad boys.

I already have a wip Multicade setup with a xbox, but it isn't quite the same thing.

amauriel

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
We got a couple cabs on Craigslist, cost little of nothing, but didn't work. Gutted the one, (not a known game or worth anything) and turned it into a MAME with thousands of games. Love me some Pepper II (Pac-Man clone) while my hubby wanted Soul Calibur, so we needed something versatile.

The second machine is Street Fighter II, so we're probably going to restore that one. Haven't done anything with it yet. But another place to ask questions and get good info is http://www.reddit.com/r/cade.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

darko

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:40:51 am »
I'm not an arcade collector, but I do have one. An original Mario Bros. machine. I need to get around to completely restoring it but just haven't made the time.

I got it for $100.00 and it works fine. Think I got a pretty good deal. I'd much rather have something else but hey, who knows, maybe I'll sell it after I restore it.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:40 pm »
I started collecting consoles then went to arcade games.  Its a blast but MUCH more maintenance.

Check out my blog:  http://www.jeffsgames.com

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:56 pm »
@darko  There are very few machines you can restore and make money on.  They can be very expensive to bring back to original looking.  I have about $400 into my Nintendo VS Red Tent and there's more to do!  I'll never get my money out of it, but I plan on keeping too.

@jeffsgames  You wouldn't happen to have some spare Nintendo buttons that you'd sell would you?  If so shoot me a PM! Thanks

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:45 am »
@varkias Sorry I don't have any right now.  I have seen where people clean old ones up really nice if you have any.  Check out the arcade-museum forums for more info.

scott

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:56:25 am »
@darko Ya a restoration, to me, is all about the project. I wouldn't care if I never saw a profit on it, because I'd be doing it for myself. And more than likely keep it until I croak ha

darko

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:23:01 am »
Ha...I never said I was going to make a profit on the sale :)

It is more about the project to me as well. My estimation on the project is $500 which would put me in at $600. I might sell it for $350 at best from what I've seen.

Honestly, I'd probably look to trade it rather than sell it.