Author Topic: Secret Santa VGCollect 2014  (Read 49172 times)

desocietas

Re: Secret Santa VGCollect 2014
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:15 pm »
I'm in :)

I had a lot of fun hunting down games I normally wouldn't be looking for myself.

I recall that we allowed for pre-owned games, as long as they were in good and complete condition (unless the wishlist indicates cart-only is ok for completion purposes).

But I agree that including some retail-available items would be great because we don't all have access to good thrift stores or are interested in doing the eBay thing.

Also, it doesn't have to be strictly games - game-related books, DVDs, and collectibles have been on some wishlists before.  I think it's good to have a long wishlist to give the other person lots of options :)

We should probably make sure people include their names inside the gift package (sometimes people gave away who they were in their return address) so that the recipient knows who their Secret Santa was.  Also, some folks wait 'till xmas to open them while others don't.  If you open it early, you can reveal who your SS was after xmas so that people don't figure out who they got by deductive reasoning.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:49:55 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 02:59:45 pm »
Wish list can be basically anything you would be happy to receive as a gift (within reason).

As far as Pal vs NTSC, If I get multiple people in a certain non US region, I will try to pair them up as close as possible to minimize shipping costs/issues.

soera

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 03:02:40 pm »
Also, here is a link to the 20+ pages of last year's thread for the newer people to read. :)

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4178.0.html

kashell

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 03:07:47 pm »
Wish list can be basically anything you would be happy to receive as a gift

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

I'm still debating about whether or not I'm in for this. Just based on previous SS experiences, I ended up with some really -REALLY- crappy gifts. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit spoiled, but they were just awful. I'll have a final answer later.

argyle

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »
I'm in, but no idea what to say for a wishlist.  Anything cool PS1/PS2/PS3 that's not in my collection? Any JRPG strategy guides not in my collection? Is that narrow enough?

I'm easy like the proverbial Sunday morning. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 03:46:40 pm »

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

I'm still debating about whether or not I'm in for this. Just based on previous SS experiences, I ended up with some really -REALLY- crappy gifts. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit spoiled, but they were just awful. I'll have a final answer later.

I think everyone got something they wanted.  I didn't see any duds.  Check out last year's thread.  We all showed stuff off.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 04:08:19 pm »
Sorry guys. I loved doing it last year, A LOT! But I just don't have the money this year. My baby is due right around Christmas, and we're gonna need all the money we can get.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 04:15:41 pm »

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

I think everyone got something they wanted.  I didn't see any duds.  Check out last year's thread.  We all showed stuff off.

How did...how did some of those gifts not exceed the 30 dollar limit? If there's any illegal activity involved in this SS-ing then I want no part of it!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »
Sending my wishlist is like sending the link like this: http://vgcollect.com/wishlist/koemo1  but then in the mail?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 05:46:51 pm »

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

How did...how did some of those gifts not exceed the 30 dollar limit? If there's any illegal activity involved in this SS-ing then I want no part of it!

I know I cheated a little.  I gave someone a single $40+ game, but I spent less than the limit.  No one complained that I know of.  :D

seanmacys

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »
Where can I have someone verify I'm legit? I'm not active on this forum so i don't really know anyone, I came here because of one of Metal Jesus Rocks' videos.
Playing:
Skies of Arcadia

Waiting For:
Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei
Super Smash Brothers for Wii U

Spinning:
Run The Jewels - 2
Teen Idols & Spread - It Found a Voice...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

I know I cheated a little.  I gave someone a single $40+ game, but I spent less than the limit.  No one complained that I know of.  :D

Yeah, I guess that the value of what I gave was > $30 -but- keep in mind that w/ a site like this w/ collections & collectors like us...many of us have doubles, triples, etc of games we got when they were a lot cheaper than what it would have cost to buy them last X-Mas.

I know that the Rhapsody I gave to Brad was something he'd been looking for & I had 2 or 3 of them & I threw in some swag to spice it up a bit.

tl;dr

I didn't have to leave my house (except to mail it), buy/order anything, spend any more money, etc to put my gift together and...I suspect that this was the same case for others here, as well!

Nothing illegal; honest!  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:03 pm »
Where can I have someone verify I'm legit? I'm not active on this forum so i don't really know anyone, I came here because of one of Metal Jesus Rocks' videos.

Hit the Intro Thread.  Get to know folks.  That's a good place to start.  Welcome. 

desocietas

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 06:19:51 pm »
I'm in, but no idea what to say for a wishlist.  Anything cool PS1/PS2/PS3 that's not in my collection? Any JRPG strategy guides not in my collection? Is that narrow enough?

I'm easy like the proverbial Sunday morning. :P

I think it's helpful to include that on your write-up for your wishlist :)  Gives your SS that many more options.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 06:21:26 pm »

YAY!!

(within reason).

You tease!!

I definitely went over the $30 limit, but that was my choice.  I wasn't expecting anyone to do it for me - I just wanted to give more because I felt like it :)  My recipient was definitely happy, and that was enough for me :D
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas