Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514880 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3465 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »
Got my Wii U a few weeks back. Start playing BotW and I can honestly I kinda hated it at first I felt it was really hard to get into. But once I beat that first area now I can't put the thing down and that's saying something since my clan is heavily in playing Destiny 2.

I had the same reaction. Especially hated how easily weapons broke at first. Now it's on my top 10 games of all time list, probably top 5 actually.

« Reply #3466 on: October 12, 2017, 09:18:51 pm »
Mighty No. 9 is down to 4 bucks right now on Steam, and out of morbid curiosity, I thought I'd give it a try.  Man...while it is functional, it's amazing how underwhelming this game is.  Nearly 4 million dollars and a team with industry vets made this? A Hat in Time earned 300k, looks, plays, and sounds better.  Shovel Knight, which certainly is influenced by classic Mega Man, got 300k and is a vastly better game.  Yooka-Laylee? A million less and while not as good as it should've been, is still funnier and more entertaining, and looks way better.  I've only played 20 minutes of MN9 and I'm still surprised at how vastly underwhelmed I was.  Didn't help that I just beat Cuphead a few days back...I only died in MN9 because of lame level design lol

Do they at least give me a charge shot in this? Mega Man games were better when there was a charge shot at least...

*EDIT*
I just refunded it.  The whole time I'm playing I'm just seeing how underwhelming things are and it all feels so lacking and it drives me nuts.  Just not gonna deal with this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:51:30 am by kamikazekeeg »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3467 on: October 13, 2017, 09:09:10 am »
Mighty No. 9 is down to 4 bucks right now on Steam, and out of morbid curiosity, I thought I'd give it a try.  Man...while it is functional, it's amazing how underwhelming this game is.  Nearly 4 million dollars and a team with industry vets made this? A Hat in Time earned 300k, looks, plays, and sounds better.  Shovel Knight, which certainly is influenced by classic Mega Man, got 300k and is a vastly better game.  Yooka-Laylee? A million less and while not as good as it should've been, is still funnier and more entertaining, and looks way better.  I've only played 20 minutes of MN9 and I'm still surprised at how vastly underwhelmed I was.  Didn't help that I just beat Cuphead a few days back...I only died in MN9 because of lame level design lol

Do they at least give me a charge shot in this? Mega Man games were better when there was a charge shot at least...

*EDIT*
I just refunded it.  The whole time I'm playing I'm just seeing how underwhelming things are and it all feels so lacking and it drives me nuts.  Just not gonna deal with this.

I got Mighty No 9 in a HumbleBundle a little while back.  I actually thought it was pretty cool.  It had some problems.  There were some cheap deaths caused by level design, but I enjoyed the game overall.  It was pretty fun.  I thought folks were a little too hard on it.  For what I paid for it, I think it got my money's worth.

I thought I better edit this to be clear.  I liked the game.  It's cool that you didn't.  We all have different taste.  I just like to put this out there because I think it deserves a fair shot.  If someone sees it cheap, it's worth a real go.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:10:45 am by turf »

« Reply #3468 on: October 13, 2017, 04:06:15 pm »
I got Mighty No 9 in a HumbleBundle a little while back.  I actually thought it was pretty cool.  It had some problems.  There were some cheap deaths caused by level design, but I enjoyed the game overall.  It was pretty fun.  I thought folks were a little too hard on it.  For what I paid for it, I think it got my money's worth.

I thought I better edit this to be clear.  I liked the game.  It's cool that you didn't.  We all have different taste.  I just like to put this out there because I think it deserves a fair shot.  If someone sees it cheap, it's worth a real go.

It's cool if you like it too, I just think I've played so much better games this year, including two good Mega Man games, that I was instantly let down by the games low quality, made all the worse that A Hat in Time just came out and had well under a quarter of the budget, but far better.  It's not terrible, it's fully functional, I just realized right away that I didn't want to spend time on it.

« Reply #3469 on: October 13, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »
Just finished Metroid Samus Returns with 100%. trying to finish up Breath of the Wild now before Mario Odyssey comes out.

« Reply #3470 on: October 15, 2017, 09:52:27 pm »
I continue to play the amazing Ys VIII, starting Yakuza 0 after Ive completed the remake of Yakuza 1 last month (falled in love with that serie), and starting to play Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, first time I play that game in 20 years. Its still a great RPG, but seem short (I got already 3 stars on 7 in about 4-5 hrs).

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

« Reply #3471 on: October 16, 2017, 07:20:17 am »
poker, blackjack, mario bros games, candy crash etc

« Reply #3472 on: October 16, 2017, 08:04:53 am »
I don't know why, but I started play Phantom Pain again.  Spent all weekend playing it.  Got a few more trophies for it.

kashell

« Reply #3473 on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:17 am »
I started Kuon over the weekend. This s*** is freaky. The enemies, with the exception of the first boss, aren't very scary. However, knowing that they could possibly be around the corner and the not-knowing of whether or not something unsettling is going to pop out makes up for it. I love that it takes place in ancient Japan. Naturally, I turned on the Japanese voice acting.

I'm still not very far, but it's off to a great start. The Suffering was bloody and in your face with its gore. Kuon has all of that blood, but it's much more subtle about it. It's a good contrast.

shfan

« Reply #3474 on: October 16, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »
I'm on chapter 7 of Dungeon Travelers 2. I'm using a Dark Lord, a Valkyrie, a Witch, an Etoile and, pretty soon, a Bishop. How about you?

That's weird, not only have we experienced Vagrant Story in an identical fashion, I'm on the same chapter of Dungeon Travelers 2.. My party line-up ATM is Dark Lord, Sage, Papillon, Mistress and Magical Princess. The Magical Princess is a new character I've just leveled to 30, everyone else is at 36, I'm getting pasted by the big boss and am getting ready to just over-level everyone to 50 and reassign jobs and skills. The skill system is incredibly complex, contrary to initial impressions, after reading and re-reading FAQs I'm starting to get a handle on it.

« Reply #3475 on: October 16, 2017, 10:05:56 pm »
Justin beat Breath of the Wild and started up Ys VIII for vita. Really enjoying it so far! this is my first time playing and Ys game, although i do have others in my collection, any good ones i should keep an eye out for?

« Reply #3476 on: October 17, 2017, 03:10:46 am »
Just 100% (All Time Pieces) A Hat in Time and I'm definitely charmed by this game.  It's such pure enjoyment.  My only real downside of the game is that the last level is a tad underdeveloped compared to all the others. The three levels before have unique characters and a unique boss, but there's neither in the Alpine level.  It's a great level gameplay wise for sure, but not having a unique character or boss made it a tad underwhelming compared to what came before.  Otherwise, it's such a wonderful game.  I'll probably re-buy it at some point in the future for like Switch to double support it and hopefully have a physical copy of it to display.

kashell

« Reply #3477 on: October 17, 2017, 08:56:29 am »
Justin beat Breath of the Wild and started up Ys VIII for vita. Really enjoying it so far! this is my first time playing and Ys game, although i do have others in my collection, any good ones i should keep an eye out for?

Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Ys: Oath in Felghana (PSP)
Ys 7 (PSP)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PS2 or PSP, I prefer the PSP)
Ys I and II get combined into one collection for some of the more modern consoles. Off the top of my head, you can get it on the PSP or the DS. I prefer the DS version.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:22:49 pm by kashell »

kashell

« Reply #3478 on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:18 am »
I'm on chapter 7 of Dungeon Travelers 2. I'm using a Dark Lord, a Valkyrie, a Witch, an Etoile and, pretty soon, a Bishop. How about you?

That's weird, not only have we experienced Vagrant Story in an identical fashion, I'm on the same chapter of Dungeon Travelers 2.. My party line-up ATM is Dark Lord, Sage, Papillon, Mistress and Magical Princess. The Magical Princess is a new character I've just leveled to 30, everyone else is at 36, I'm getting pasted by the big boss and am getting ready to just over-level everyone to 50 and reassign jobs and skills. The skill system is incredibly complex, contrary to initial impressions, after reading and re-reading FAQs I'm starting to get a handle on it.

Oh man. Now I'm worried. I just acquired robo-maid and the princess, so I'm guessing my next major encounter is going to be that boss you're talking about. How has the Mistress class been working out for you? I've been abusing the hell out of the Etoile's skills because they activate instantly. I can't believe how useful she's been.

« Reply #3479 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »
Grabbed the new South Park game and of course it's some goofy fun.  Gameplay is definitely better this time, making it grid based and having QTE's for powerups or ultimate recovery upon hit.  Feels like more customization options too.  Game is otherwise mostly pretty similar, but I wasn't expecting some major shift.  Basically if you liked the first one, you'll like this one.  You even get a free copy of the first one with the game.  I had it on PC, but it's nice to have as a spare on PS4.