Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 512225 times)

desocietas

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »
I know a few folk have mentioned that they don't know what game to play next... maybe we should revive this ol' thread?
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1214.0.html
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:37 am »
I know a few folk have mentioned that they don't know what game to play next... maybe we should revive this ol' thread?
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1214.0.html

Consider it re-vived!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2013, 10:23:34 am »
My carpal tunnel is acting up (interesting how the better I am at TF2, the more it hurts) so I'm taking a break from games that use a mouse. Since my buddy Nathan kept bugging me to do this... I grabbed Grandia (PS1) and started to play it last night.

One hour in and I still haven't fought anything. Oy.

Don't get me wrong, the game is super charming, but I was expecting more action by now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:29:04 am by foxhack »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2013, 12:16:00 pm »
Heh - Grandia is one of the (many) games that I've bought/own...and...*Really* want to & plan on getting around to some day  :o

I've heard mostly good things about Grandia, Grandia 2, and Grandia: X-Treme (more of a dungeon-crawler) -ALL (3) games are in my same "Waiting-To-Be-Played-Limbo"  ::)

The only one that I've spent any significant time playing, so far, has been Grandia 3 (on the PS2 / for ~20 hours, or so); and -from what I've played, seen, and heard of it- I'd personally put it at a 7.0 - 7.5 out of 10 game.

While it was fun & engaging, & competent...it wasn't anything amazing - then again- iirc, Grandia 3 is *usually* talked about as being the "low point of the series"...if true = the other games really must be pretty damned good  ;D

As you get further into the game & combat, FOXHACK ==> I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it & if it picks-up at all as you get more into the game  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2013, 12:28:00 pm »
It's strange.

I played Grandia II on the Dreamcast ten or eleven years ago and I recognized some of the musical themes from it in part one. So of course I got curious and looked up the theme for part three and was horrified at it being... pop. Agh.

We'll see. I'll try to keep you posted on the game. I get distracted a lot so...

foxhack

« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2013, 05:38:30 pm »
Speaking of distractions! I found my Japanese copy of The King of Fighters '97 for the Saturn so I dug up my JP system and am playing it now.

... except it needs a RAM cart. I thought I had one so I dug around and found it. I plug it in, wait three minutes for the game to load up to the cart. Urgh. Once the game starts the load times are reasonable. I play the game, the Saturn pad is a hindrance but I push through... and then I notice it.

Everyone's voice in the game is wrong. Like, an octave too high. How the hell did that get past the testers? Even the announcer sounds a little bit too high.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand the Saturn crashed. Something tells me my system isn't exactly in perfect shape...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:14:25 pm by foxhack »

pacpix

« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »
Started up Wizardry again and realized my maps were off, so I remapped the first floor and I am about halfway done with the second.  I forgot how freaking hard this game is!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2013, 03:46:56 am »
Chrono Trigger on Wii Virtual Console. I played it way back when it was a new game. But it's been quite a while. I've just started and I'm really liking it, so far. I've forgotten enough about it after this much time that it's almost a new experience again.

scott

« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
I'm loving Etrian Odyssey IV's demo! I'm level 8 and have explored as much as I can. But now I'm leveling and money grinding to help me out in the full game.

Btw. The Dancer Class is awesome!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:24 am »
Everyone's voice in the game is wrong. Like, an octave too high. How the hell did that get past the testers? Even the announcer sounds a little bit too high.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand the Saturn crashed. Something tells me my system isn't exactly in perfect shape...

Could be your Saturn, but it might be the port, too. I'd have to check my notes, but Neo-Geo ports in general are pretty spotty. Saturn ones typically fared better than the PS1 versions, but the Saturn version of KoF '95 is about the only thing close to a perfect port on either system.

Might also require a different RAM cart. '97 requires a 1MB cart, and iirc, can act up a bit if used with a 4MB.

foxhack

« Reply #415 on: February 11, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »

Could be your Saturn, but it might be the port, too. I'd have to check my notes, but Neo-Geo ports in general are pretty spotty. Saturn ones typically fared better than the PS1 versions, but the Saturn version of KoF '95 is about the only thing close to a perfect port on either system.

Might also require a different RAM cart. '97 requires a 1MB cart, and iirc, can act up a bit if used with a 4MB.
When I got to stage 4, the screen turned black and white. I thought the cable was loose so I went and checked it, and then the game crashed. The side of the system felt hot. I reset the system and boom, color was back. So the Saturn may in fact be defective.

I went back to Grandia after that. Three hours in, no problems other than the slooooooooooooooow fights.

« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »
When I got to stage 4, the screen turned black and white. I thought the cable was loose so I went and checked it, and then the game crashed. The side of the system felt hot. I reset the system and boom, color was back. So the Saturn may in fact be defective.

D'oh, yeah that doesn't sound so good :p

I need to stop putting it off and pick up Saturn. Just can't decide if I want a US or Japanese model, since most of the games I want are imports. So much amazing stuff that never came here, especially for shmup fans :)

foxhack

« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2013, 12:13:29 am »
Playing Grandia, in a mine, near the boss (I think), and the game crashes. After an hour of game time. With no save points in between.

The game is going back to the box. >_< Apparently the game does -not- like PS2s. I wish I'd known this before starting the game. Dammit!

scott

« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:30 am »
Oh man I hate when that happens.  :'(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2013, 12:57:26 am »
My son and I played through Return of Double Dragon on the SFC. A great beat'em up that we both enjoyed. He was very excited when he realised that we finished the whole game in one sitting :D