Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 504955 times)

90snostalga

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #810 on: December 04, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »
Finally beat Tomb Raider for the PlayStation 1!  Now about to began Dragonball for the Famicom  :)

foxhack

« Reply #811 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05:27 pm »
Well, so much for playing Snatcher... my Sega CD 2's backup RAM battery is dead, so all progress is lost when I shut down the system. Sigh. :(

scott

« Reply #812 on: December 05, 2013, 08:45:11 am »
Well, so much for playing Snatcher... my Sega CD 2's backup RAM battery is dead, so all progress is lost when I shut down the system. Sigh. :(

I'm guessing it's not as simple as changing the battery on a Saturn, huh?

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #813 on: December 05, 2013, 09:09:07 am »
I'm glad I'd looked at walkthroughs of Twilight Princess before starting it, otherwise I'd probably be pretty bummed. Kinda makes me miss how Link to the Past would just kinda drop you in, full speed ahead, go save the princess, no BS! :D

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to starting the game all over (my brother saved his file over mine, and I was almost at 100% completion...), but honestly you shouldn't give up. It's my favourite Zelda game, I just had too much fun with it!

I just started Shin Megami Tensei IV yesterday, I bought it when the $30 e-shop credit was offered, but never came around to playing it yet. I can't wait to die endlessly and waste all my play coins  :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #814 on: December 05, 2013, 09:48:31 am »
I'm still playing The Guided Fate Paradox -and- Holy shit, is it ever living up to its rep as a "hard" game  ???

I mean, it's not uncommon at all to spend 1-2 hours crawling through/down 10 dungeon floors, nabbing all kinds of sweet items, equipment, and cash...just to get to a boss that'll kick the shit out of you...when ya wake up = all the $, your inventory, and even right down to the bestest of your favorite items that you had *equipped* are gone  :'(

I mean, I consider myself pretty good at this genre -and- even so, I've lost 2 out of the 1st 3 boss battles on my 1st attempt  >:(

Guess it's a damned good thing that I'm the kinda' person who gets revved-up & pissed-off when shit happens -and- just come back madder & w/ a more determined attitude, to exact some revenge  8)

So far, I haven't lost more than once to any of them, at least  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #815 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:28 am »

I'm guessing it's not as simple as changing the battery on a Saturn, huh?

Nope. The battery is welded to the motherboard. While it can be modded so it can be easily replaced, I don't have the skills to do that and obviously can't afford paying $20 plus shipping to send it to someone to get it repaired. Unless I get a backup RAM cart somehow, I'm outta luck.

Eh, at least the disc scans as 100% readable on my PC so I guess I'll put it up for sale later today. :(

desocietas

« Reply #816 on: December 05, 2013, 11:21:32 am »
I just started Shin Megami Tensei IV yesterday, I bought it when the $30 e-shop credit was offered, but never came around to playing it yet. I can't wait to die endlessly and waste all my play coins  :P

I need to get back into that one.  I'm still in the tutorial area and was expecting it to be hard because of some stuff I'd heard/read, but it became one of those things where the pseudo random encounters would one-hit-kill my summons, and I didn't know if the game was
- trying to teach me that it's ok to run away
- trying to teach me that I should consider using "talk" as a way to get out of the battle
- trying to teach me that I should only carefully grind in the first one or two rooms and not the other rooms beyond easy reach of a heal point
- was just plain difficult.

Made me feel old!  I need to have a better backbone for those games - I used to enjoy the challenge back in the day.  Maybe that's why I'm content playing an unintimidating Natsume game :\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

karyann

« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:07 pm »
I need to get back into that one.  I'm still in the tutorial area and was expecting it to be hard because of some stuff I'd heard/read, but it became one of those things where the pseudo random encounters would one-hit-kill my summons, and I didn't know if the game was
- trying to teach me that I should consider using "talk" as a way to get out of the battle
- trying to teach me that I should only carefully grind in the first one or two rooms and not the other rooms beyond easy reach of a heal point

Made me feel old!  I need to have a better backbone for those games - I used to enjoy the challenge back in the day.  Maybe that's why I'm content playing an unintimidating Natsume game :\

Thanks for the ideas, I saved just before the training area, so I've yet to see the difficulty. This will probably come in handy in staying calm haha

scott

« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

That's how I felt about Etrian Odyessy 1. I still haven't progressed much further in it. Mostly because it seems liked things bitchslaps you if you journey outside your comfort zone.

I like the challenge though. But some of those big baddies are just cruel.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2013, 03:35:19 pm »

That's how I felt about Etrian Odyessy 1. I still haven't progressed much further in it. Mostly because it seems liked things bitchslaps you if you journey outside your comfort zone.

I like the challenge though. But some of those big baddies are just cruel.

Haha, yup, I felt that way about EO 1 but somehow I worked past it, and it was sooooo satisfying to be able to progress beyond finally.  The really big baddies, I realized, don't always need to be fought to move on - you might just have to figure out how to get by them ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2013, 03:42:17 pm »

Same problem I ran into. Even the first couple rooms have enemies that can one-hit kill, and since most of your party are summons, it's a bit rough going. Persona 2 and Nocturne both had their share of challenges, but nothing quite that tough that early on. I'll go back to it sooner or later, but eeeeesh.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »

Same problem I ran into. Even the first couple rooms have enemies that can one-hit kill, and since most of your party are summons, it's a bit rough going. Persona 2 and Nocturne both had their share of challenges, but nothing quite that tough that early on. I'll go back to it sooner or later, but eeeeesh.

Are you into rogue-likes?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #822 on: December 07, 2013, 01:10:14 am »
Just started LTTP 2. :) Its my first time ever using my 3DS. Its an interesting feeling system.

karyann

« Reply #823 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
After 3.5 hours of SMT IV, I can now say that I really love it! I've died a few times, but it was mostly on the same "boss", Orthrus. Otherwise, I've mostly been hit-and-running back to heal to my room  :P I have Devil Survivor 2 but didn't play much yet, so I consider SMT IV my first SMT game (took me a long time to get to it, I know  :( ). I can't wait to buy more of them! I'm eyeing some of the PS2 games on amazon, I don't know yet if I'll get them there or not, but they're cheaper than any I could see in shops here.

90snostalga

« Reply #824 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:12 am »
Silent Hill on the PlayStation 1  :)