Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 504964 times)

soera

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1170 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:59 pm »
Your post brings up something Ive always noticed but cant fully comprehend (maybe its cause of the way I view things). How on earth can someone play more than one game at a time? Once I start a game and get somewhat into it, its the only thing I can think about. Adding another to the mix is just unthinkable. It would screw up my daydreaming and my focus to finish.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1171 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »
Variety. It's no different than reading multiple comic series as they come out, or keeping up with multiple T.V. shows. I get sick of RPGing after a little while, so then I'll whip some monsters and unlock a little more of the map on Aria of Sorrow.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:09:43 pm by burningdoom »

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #1172 on: May 13, 2014, 04:53:58 am »

Did you just spoil Deadly Premonition?

The actual plot isn't even half as sane as what I just wrote, believe me.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

« Reply #1173 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:49 am »
Been in a weird mood wanting to play/complete old racing games I've had but maybe was too young to do any of the Championship type stuff.

Was bored one night and decided to unbox the N64 and play Top Gear Rally. After thinking "my god how did I play this as a kid?" for a bit, I got used to it and ended up playing it for more than a few hours, eventually completing the Championship mode. After that I started up a few other games but meh, then put in Need For Speed: High Stakes, another one I played the hell out of with my friend when we were young. Noticed I had no save data for it so decided to play through the Tournaments and stuff to unlock the cars and tracks and ended up finishing most of it after a couple days.

Ended up buying a bunch of cheap random PS1 racing games to further scratch this itch (can view in the May purchase thread.) Spent my evening checking a few of those out and cleaning two Dual Shock 2s. Need For Speed: V-Rally sucked as expected. SuperCross 2000 was very hard to control and thus not very fun. Rush Hour was just a corny simple game but I already knew that when I bought it. F1 2000 was the surprise hit of the evening and after getting used to the handling I had fun with it. Rally Masters ended up exceeding my expectations, which were based on playing the PC version many many years ago and liking the physics, but I expected the PS1 version to not necessarily have that. It did and I had fun briefly playing that. So I expect to return to F1 2000 and Rally Masters after I finish checking the rest of the games out.

Micro Machines V3 is giving me some trouble though. My PS1 gets stuck at the loading screen on that but it did make it through once but froze on the next loading screen. PS3 plays the disc fine. Have not had any other issues with any of the games on the PS1.

Still a few more games to try out but that is for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:49:27 am by Seikenfreak »

argyle

« Reply #1174 on: May 13, 2014, 06:44:57 am »
Decided to move on from Order of Ecclesia and try the next Castlevania that was released for the DS, Portrait of Ruin.  HUGE improvement.  Much more in line with what I was looking for.  It's much more of a "Metroidvania" game, and the challenge is balanced far better - bosses are tough but fair once you figure out their patterns.  I like the character swapping mechanic too and how you have to use that to solve puzzles.  This is the game I was looking for.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1175 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:06 am »
Your post brings up something Ive always noticed but cant fully comprehend (maybe its cause of the way I view things). How on earth can someone play more than one game at a time? Once I start a game and get somewhat into it, its the only thing I can think about. Adding another to the mix is just unthinkable. It would screw up my daydreaming and my focus to finish.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.  I can only focus on one thing at a time; and when I do, it lasts a long time.  I've been trying to finish Assassins Creed 4 since Christmas.  I really need to finish that so I can move on.  I have other stuff to play.

Now, with that said, I can play another game on a handheld, or I can sprinkle in some casual (for me anyway) games.  By casual I mean stuff that can be done in one sitting, mostly NES stuff.  I might sprinkle some SNES or Sega stuff in there. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1176 on: May 13, 2014, 10:35:52 am »

I'm the same  ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #1177 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »
Decided to move on from Order of Ecclesia and try the next Castlevania that was released for the DS, Portrait of Ruin.  HUGE improvement.  Much more in line with what I was looking for.  It's much more of a "Metroidvania" game, and the challenge is balanced far better - bosses are tough but fair once you figure out their patterns.  I like the character swapping mechanic too and how you have to use that to solve puzzles.  This is the game I was looking for.  :)

Portrait of Ruin came out before Order of Ecclesia. lol

Personally I like Ecclesia more than Portrait. But, Portrait was really good and I enjoyed the tandem character system. And I loved the call backs to Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1178 on: May 13, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »

Portrait of Ruin came out before Order of Ecclesia. lol

Personally I like Ecclesia more than Portrait. But, Portrait was really good and I enjoyed the tandem character system. And I loved the call backs to Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines.

I just finished Portrait of Ruin, great game. But yeah, Order of Eclessia was the later one. It was the last Metroidvania Castlevania game.

I've heard that Order of Eclessia is very hard, but I haven't played it yet. I still need that one and Dawn of Sorrow to complete my Metroidvania set of Castlevanias (I even have the often over-looked Castlevania II: Simon's Quest in my Metroidvania set).

scott

« Reply #1179 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:14 pm »
Ecclesia can be brutal, originally the first time I played it it put me off. But I went back to it a month later and stuck with it. It's a pretty great game.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1180 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:15 pm »
This week has been a constant back and forth fight between Infamous Second Son and Lego Marvel on PS4....  Both are struggling to be second place to WoW....  And with the looming 6.0 patch and Warlords of Destruction in the distance I can only imagine that Drakkengard 3 will be the only game I play until then....  :(

Ecclesia can be brutal, originally the first time I played it it put me off. But I went back to it a month later and stuck with it. It's a pretty great game.

I love Ecclesia....  I want more traditional Metroidvania games so bad....  :(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1181 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:11 pm »

If Castlevania-master Scott is saying it's brutal, it must be freaking unforgivable!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1182 on: May 13, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »

If Castlevania-master Scott is saying it's brutal, it must be freaking unforgivable!

disgaeniac declares that this..."Scott"...character should, from this point forth, be known as:

(the) Castlevaniac8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #1183 on: May 13, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »
disgaeniac declares that this..."Scott"...character should, from this point forth, be known as:

(the) Castlevaniac8)

Changed my custom title.

The first boss, the Giant Skeleton whipped my ass for a good while the first time I played it. If I remember correctly the Giant Crab in the Lighthouse tower was a bit of a rough, but epic, battle. All in all I'd highly recommend the game to folks any time the conversation comes up.

soera

« Reply #1184 on: May 13, 2014, 03:18:20 pm »

(the) Castlevaniac8)

Ha! Nice name. :)